PDA

View Full Version : what about a thanking thread for BMD?

laco
05-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I've seen a lot of posts about "what we want", "requests", etc. But what about a "thanks" for making this camera to Blackmagic Design?

Before NAB nobody thought this will happen. I myself were thinking about buying the 5DmkIII, the FS700, F3, C300, or the Scarlet. And here comes a camera that is cheaper than these, and does something that even the big ones (Alexa, Epic) can not do: recording uncompressed RAW onboard.
Of course we can argue about the specs and features of this camera. And we need to. But keep in mind, that even if the camera will be released with the current specs, it is a miracle for 3000$ (or less, if you take the TMS offer (http://bmcuser.com/showthread.php?20-Buy-Blackmagic-Cinema-Camera-from-Texas-Media-Systems&highlight=texas) .

I don't want to get emotionally, but simply post a 'thanks", or "thank you" in this thread if you agree.

laco
05-01-2012, 11:17 AM
thanks BMD:)

kevin baggott
05-01-2012, 11:39 AM
absolutely agree with ya iaco - great idea and thank you BMD :))))

jmmusic
05-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Agreed, laco. I was in a similar boat as you, mainly circling the FS100 and/or the MK3. While my entire checklist isn't quite fulfilled with the CineCam2K, it absolutely floors me overall... and in areas that I didn't think possible, especially at this price point.

I'm happy as a clam.

Is it July yet?

Thank you Blackmagicdesign!

nickjbedford
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks BMD. Every solution was not ideal for me. Too expensive (having almost no actual budget for a decent camera), or recording to a poor format (Canon DSLR video), or I'd have to buy into a whole new system.

ryaninoz
05-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Definitely put me on this list. Yes there are features which would be great but even if you add these which for me are - external viewfinder - phantom power and a shoulder mount - the entire kit is still cheaper than any of the alternatives. My main frustration is waiting until July !

For 3k - actually 2k by the time you factor in Resolve if there is a better model in a year or a 35 mm version I will just buy that as well and this cam will be the best second camera I've ever had.

So thank you Blackmagic.

Steve Madsen
05-01-2012, 08:50 PM
My thanks go to John and this community...my thanks to BM will be paid in cold, hard, cash :)

nickjbedford
05-01-2012, 09:06 PM
To add one thing, I'm really impressed with Grant Petty's attitude towards innovation and product development. One of the things that he mentioned was that they want to build products for themselves to use, not just to make a profit, which is a Great Thing™.

Paul Flack
05-02-2012, 12:32 AM
I will thank them with my money. No other words needed.

laco
05-02-2012, 01:01 AM
I will thank them with my money. No other words needed.
I'm sure BMD will appreciate some words too:)

t.p.
05-02-2012, 03:08 AM
i do not know if John Brawley is here as a moderator which was requested from bmd officially or not ,but to be in touch with the potential users (us) directly, and listening to what the we have to say and take it into consideration , i think thats the right way to go , ofcourse not everyone can have their wishes and requests answered but , its a big step from companies who go by their CEO gut feelings and ignoring what the end user want
and for that i thank BMD the most

stip
05-02-2012, 05:01 AM
THANKS Blackmagic Design for making that gutsy move! I have no doubt this will be a major success for you AND us! Much love!

arnarfjodur
05-02-2012, 07:40 AM
I'd like to thank all the people on this forum and elsewhere who take the time to share information, viewpoints and thoughts - which has been most useful for me. As for thanking a company for manufacturing a product that most of us haven't even tried, and they intend to sell for a profit ... well ... it feels a bit close to fanboyism to me. By all means however, do enjoy whatever excites you in your life, be it a new camera or something else :)

John Brawley
05-02-2012, 09:07 AM
i do not know if John Brawley is here as a moderator which was requested from bmd officially or not ,but to be in touch with the potential users (us) directly, and listening to what the we have to say and take it into consideration , i think thats the right way to go , ofcourse not everyone can have their wishes and requests answered but , its a big step from companies who go by their CEO gut feelings and ignoring what the end user want
and for that i thank BMD the most

I don't represent BMD officially here. I'm just keen to tell people what I know and what I'm allowed to tell. BMD very much do their own thing. Although i've participated in testing, there are things they want to do their way that I don't agree with...but they're the ones building the cameras, not me. What I say won't matter in about 2 months because you'll all get to have your opinions. They're doing something cool and I think the camera is a genuine breakthrough.

jb

Matthew Bennett
05-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Thanks BMD!

Kingswell
05-03-2012, 08:18 AM
I'd like to thank all the people on this forum and elsewhere who take the time to share information, viewpoints and thoughts - which has been most useful for me. As for thanking a company for manufacturing a product that most of us haven't even tried, and they intend to sell for a profit ... well ... it feels a bit close to fanboyism to me. By all means however, do enjoy whatever excites you in your life, be it a new camera or something else :)

Agreed - We've not even seen uncompressed samples yet!

Craig
05-03-2012, 08:58 AM
Not to seem unduly discourteous but this thread is premature. I have seen this before with cameras. No one has seen or played with the product we paid deposits on....
that said, good on you bmd for throwing petrol on the idea you can feed us sub quality gear in order to create a cynical and lacking upgrade path to maximise profit..oh no bmcc2!!!

Brad Ferrell
05-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Thanks BMD. Now you're talking. Time to adjust and test a workflow. I'll be back...

laco
05-03-2012, 09:27 AM
sub quality gear

LOL...I hope this post has a /sarcasm tag.

Craig
05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Lol..strong coffee made me write this. Sub quality meaning below the level of tech they should be releasing. Not just aimed at camera corporations and certainly not aimed at bmd.

Steve4505
05-03-2012, 11:54 AM
In this ever thankless, short sighted, and greedy world I do think its worth while to thank BMD for so carefully looking to provide economical solutions to many of the obsticals videographers have.

BMCJunkie
05-03-2012, 11:28 PM
Glad this thread was started. It's always easier to find the negative than to voice the positive. I'd read HD for Indies comment on the BMC being a massage by a supermodel with ninja claws, and wondered where the sense of adventure had gone with the indie market. I'd be delighted with this camera if it had no audio, and a 3/8" slab of aluminum on the bottom for me to tap my own mounting points. To complain about the lack of an external battery, while getting an uncompressed workflow from a 13-stop DR camera is . . . remarkable. At $3,000. Not to mention $1600 in free software, to boot.
So Thank You BMD! Thank you for taking the burden of finding a decent CMOS chip and connecting it to a digital storage device, at such a low price point that I have plenty left over to build my own external cage for battery support, focus-gear, mattebox, and monitor support. Thanks for making a system that leaves me with plenty to custom-build my own solutions.
It's like getting a barebones motorcycle at such an unbelievable price that you have no qualms about going out and spending the money to turn it into a monster chopper!
Yeah, if you're looking for a ready-made ride . . . well keep on moving down the line. Maybe Sony or Canon can help you. But if you're short on the electrical-engineering side, but love to work with your hands (as well as your eyes and ears) then this baby is the biggest no-brainer in our industry to date.

Jahful
05-17-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks BMD! All this camera has to do is meet its specs. That's it. You won't see me post on a lot of other threads because of the kind of filmmaking I do (think Kenneth Anger or Hollis Frampton), but I've been waiting for this camera for two years. It wasn't going to come from the big guys, that's for sure, it had to come out of nowhere (or Australia). I would have paid significantly more for this camera. I guess I'm not too jaded to say thanks to BMD. Unless it's all a horrible ruse and the camera, which doesn't arrive until 2013, inexplicably sucks.