PDA

View Full Version : BMD Video Assist now shipping!

tyger11
09-29-2015, 08:55 PM
I just saw a tweet from BMD: https://twitter.com/Blackmagic_News/status/649034256287727616

"New Blackmagic Video Assist now shipping! Adds high resolution professional monitoring and recording for any SDI or HDMI camera! Only $495"

FYI.

IronFilm
09-30-2015, 01:52 AM
Best news I've read all day!

dcloud
09-30-2015, 02:32 AM
Would love to see some reviews. I wish it had false color

rick.lang
09-30-2015, 06:54 PM
It seems there isn’t anything added beyond what was confirmed at the trade shows and so on. Perhaps if they can catch their breath, BMD may add a few goodies in firmware updates later. Still I suspect this will be a popular item as is.

_OZ
10-01-2015, 03:22 PM
Price point is pretty great for what it offers. If they add waveform, it will be unstoppable and will sell like crazy.

dcloud
10-02-2015, 04:17 AM
Maybe itll be on v2 with 4k on nab 2016 lol

jsolterbeck
10-20-2015, 06:56 PM
Been almost a month since this post, I bought one months ago on BH, still nothing. :(

Zombex
10-20-2015, 08:24 PM
Been almost a month since this post, I bought one months ago on BH, still nothing. :(

I'm in the same boat as you. Ordered mine on the initial day of release (July 31st) from CVP and all they've told me is "delivery is expected very soon". A waiting game I predict...

awalldez
10-21-2015, 01:14 AM
Mine is shipping to me, it should be here Thursday afternoon. I ordered mine last friday from Adorama.

Denny Smith
10-31-2015, 11:45 AM
The first round shipped out, have arrived ar their destination, I got mine! Great little monitor.
Only issue is HDMI connection blac outs when going from play, and back to record, signal seems like it is list. Unplugging HDMI cable and repluging it in resets the connection, kind of a pain!

Found a new HDMI cable, perfect for connecting the Micro Studio 4K or Micro Cinema, or other HDMI connection camera to a Video Assist or other EVF/Monitor. Mint has a nice small flexible cable, .5 meters (1.6-feet) and locking ends. The thin cable does not add any leverage of the monitor, and is out of the way, especially using a Zacuto 90-degree adapter on the Camera, routes the cable forward out of the way.

B&H has it in stock. Here is the B&H description: "The 1.6' 4K High-Speed Round HDMI Cable from Zigen allows you to transmit high-resolution digital audio and video on a single cable. This cable features male HDMI grip connectors on each end, and can support up to 12 lb of tension.".

Denny Smith
11-04-2015, 02:58 PM
Tested the VA with a 1080 24 PSF signal via SDI from my Panny AF100 camera, the VA recorded the PSF feed as a 1080p24 signal, removing the PSF interlace pull down. So this appears to work as it should.

Also tested time code run record triggering with AF100, works as it should, start/stop recording on the AF100, starts and stops the Video Assist record mode

Jerrod Cordell
11-18-2015, 10:01 AM
Hey Denny, would you have any sample footage you'd be able to share comparing the AF100 from the camera and from the VA? We have a couple of old HVX200s that we've been using until the URSA Mini comes out and I'm wondering if it'd be worth it.

Denny Smith
11-18-2015, 11:48 AM
The main difference from internal footage on the AF 100 and external recordings, are that you,have a full 4.2.2 color space image for and A less compressed image with ProRes, which results in less banding and better highlight control. There,has been some interesting discussions on external recordings vs internal on the AF100 forum at dxUser.com.

I do not post footage on forums. But, send me a PM with your email, and I will try to get you some footage samples.
Cheers

TheRenaissanceMan
11-18-2015, 12:03 PM
If you want to know how the AF100 looks with an external recorder, check out The Raid: Redemption. Most of it was shot with that setup.

Jerrod Cordell
11-18-2015, 01:09 PM
You had me at less banding and better highlight control. Haha! After going from HDSLRs (even if H.264) and digital cinema cameras back to fixed lens 3CCD cameras I forgot what kind of limitations the Pannys have.

bscenefilms
11-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Still trying to find a reseller for this /sigh

Denny Smith
11-19-2015, 02:09 AM
This was posted elsewhere, "Today I purchased and picked up my Video Assist from EVS in Burbank , California. :( ;) :) :D

http://www.evsonline.com/blackmagic-des ... nitor.html ".

bscenefilms
11-19-2015, 07:47 AM
This was posted elsewhere, "Today I purchased and picked up my Video Assist from EVS in Burbank , California. :( ;) :) :D

http://www.evsonline.com/blackmagic-des ... nitor.html ".

Thanks so much. They are 30 minutes from me. Will go over and get one today.

rglass
11-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Definitely recommend EVSOnline, called them a few hours ago and they packaged up my Video Assist and shipped it my way! Great service, Tommy is the man.

Howie Roll
11-30-2015, 03:54 PM
I just ordered one from Adorama who allegedly has them in stock as does Core Microsystems. On a side note, does anyone have any idea if there is such an animal as Sony f970 to Canon Lp E6 adapter. I've got at least four other devices that use the Sony Batteries.

Denny Smith
11-30-2015, 11:25 PM
I wish Howie. The closest you are going to get is a battery plate that will take,the Sony F970s and plug into the side of the Video Assist. I have a Indie Pro battery pod, that was for the Pocket cmaera, and redid the plug on it to the larger size used by the other cameras/Hyperdeck/VA. The battery pod takes two Sony L/970s batteries to give you a 14.5VDC output on the plug. This way, you get the weight off the monitor and mount it lower down in the bottom of the rails, or on the tripod.

Dan K
12-01-2015, 03:23 AM
Is there anyway of switching the Video Assist to PAL? I can't get it to work with my GH4 (when in PAL mode). With the latest VA firmware, it shows NTSC at the top left. I'm hoping this could be addressed at some point.

Howie Roll
12-01-2015, 04:10 AM
I wish Howie. The closest you are going to get is a battery plate that will take,the Sony F970s and plug into the side of the Video Assist. I have a Indie Pro battery pod, that was for the Pocket cmaera, and redid the plug on it to the larger size used by the other cameras/Hyperdeck/VA. The battery pod takes two Sony L/970s batteries to give you a 14.5VDC output on the plug. This way, you get the weight off the monitor and mount it lower down in the bottom of the rails, or on the tripod.

Thanks Denny. I've already wasted an hour of my life looking for one, I'll look no further.

Denny Smith
12-01-2015, 01:24 PM
Howie, I was thinking of this battery adapter kit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1070038-REG/indipro_tools_pgrsony4k_power_grid_for_blackmagic. html

Howie Roll
12-01-2015, 04:47 PM
Thanks Denny, I made a battery plate for the Pocket that uses 2 Sony NP batteries but I'm using the VA for recording so I'd like to keep it tight. I could probably cluge together an adapter out of parts and some 3d printing, I'm more surprised than anything that these don't exist. I'll probably just bite the bullet and pick up some cheap chilipower lpe6s, bringing the grand total of battery systems I own to 4.

robmneilson
12-04-2015, 11:00 AM
Used the video assist for the first time on a job yesterday. Worked flawlessly recording footage out of camera, though I did have a problem with recording a skype call with it. The theater had a VGA going into a box with an HDMI out and it gave me a weird signal the VA could not take (it would split the screen in half and make the touch screen buttons not viewable, which was weird).

Now if there were only some way that I could get the file naming convention to be the same as on the URSA.

Dafilman21
12-21-2015, 02:02 PM
I decided to jump back in the VA after the one I received when they first started shipping had a huge dead pixel area. BH has them back in stock so I decided to order it again especially since peaking is not activated. I love the picture on the monitor so i am looking forward to getting a new one in that hopefully works and looks flawlessly.

robmneilson
12-21-2015, 03:51 PM
Wondering what the possbilities are of having the following features added to the VA in the future:

Wavform
Ability to color calibrate
4k recording

I'd settle for the wavform alone, though I have had some problems with the C100 feed into the VA looking more magenta than the same camera with other recorders.

Denny Smith
12-21-2015, 10:51 PM
4K ProRes is not going to happen on a SD card, too slow. Doubt BM would add a higher compression Codec to make it work, so no advantage over inert all 4K recording cameras like the GH4. Only real advantage, would be 4K recording on the Micro Studio camera over the 6G SDI, but you would need a 12G SDI connection for 4K, the VA is only 6G SDI.

robmneilson
12-22-2015, 12:05 AM
You sound like the voice of reason Denny, that all makes sense.

I guess now all I really need from the VA to make it my primary monitor is a wavform!

Denny Smith
12-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks, I try, and yes, adding a waveform monitor would be a great addition.
Cheers

NorBro
12-23-2015, 02:24 PM
you can do 4K over 6G-SDI