PDA

View Full Version : rental gear and "weather days"

robmneilson
09-08-2015, 10:25 PM
I'm renting out a set of lenses to someone in town, and when discussing the return they mentioned they might shoot an extra day, incase one of their first days of shooting is scrubbed for weather.

I've never asked for a "weather day" whenever I've rented gear. So I just assume that if they need an extra day, I get to charge them an additional rental day. They already have the lens set for a free prep day as well.

So, am I out of bounds charging them for an extra rental day? Do I charge them, but discount the rate on the extra day?

UTR-Labs
09-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Free prep day is good enough, unless they're a really good repeat customer. Acts of God are the renters responsibility.

DPStewart
09-09-2015, 01:07 AM
...and you never know when someone is going to claim a 'bad weather' day....while they were actually shooting indoors.

UTR-Labs
09-09-2015, 01:09 AM
...and you never know when someone is going to claim a 'bad weather' day....while they were actually shooting indoors.

Or maybe they have a rain scene they need to shoot and try to get free rental. We get that all the time here whenever we rent gear out (rarely rent gear out anymore).

robmneilson
09-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Hahah true. These folks are out shooting a football "Friday Night Lights" style thing, so they will legitimately have a shoot day scrubbed if it rains. But I think I'll go ahead and charge them an extra rental day since I'm giving them the lenses for a fairly cheap price, with a free day of prep. Besides it's their first time renting these lenses, and while I don't mind giving freebies for friends/repeat customers I should probably not set that as a precedent.

Thanks for the advice folks.

markmwilliams
09-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Hahah true. These folks are out shooting a football "Friday Night Lights" style thing, so they will legitimately have a shoot day scrubbed if it rains. But I think I'll go ahead and charge them an extra rental day since I'm giving them the lenses for a fairly cheap price, with a free day of prep. Besides it's their first time renting these lenses, and while I don't mind giving freebies for friends/repeat customers I should probably not set that as a precedent.

Thanks for the advice folks.

Definitely the right call there Rob. And if someone is working on a project where weather could stop filming then it's their responsibility to plan and budget for that, not ask for freebies.

Gary Huff
09-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Besides it's their first time renting these lenses, and while I don't mind giving freebies for friends/repeat customers I should probably not set that as a precedent.

I agree. If they were renting from a rental house, they would absolutely get charged an extra day. If it was a close friend or someone I have worked with many many previous occasions, then I might consider a freebie, but, like you said, you are giving them a free prep day.

analog_addict
09-09-2015, 09:36 AM
There is no such thing as a 'weather day'. If they need the kit for an extra day, they pay for an extra day. A free 'prep day' is usually standard, well from my experience you usually collect or receive a delivery around midday, the day before the shoot.

robmneilson
09-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Glad I'm on the rational side. I just never heard of a "weather day" before and didn't know if it was some regional thing, since the rental policies in Houston are slightly different than I was used to in NY. Here it seems there is so pick it up Friday afternoon, return Monday AM and it's one rental day. Many places in town charge 1.5, but I guess that's just because of supply and demand.

JLdp
09-09-2015, 08:20 PM
yes you charge, and then if they have insurance they claim a weather day to them and get reimbursed.

jambredz
09-10-2015, 08:30 AM
Lol weather day. First I'm hearing that. Yup charge them for the extra day. Repeat customers get certain privilege... First timers... Nope.

stevesherrick
09-10-2015, 10:06 AM
"weather day" is another term for free rental day. You set the deal based on rental terms, not weather. For example, if they are renting the lenses for a week, you could do a 3 day rental. 1 month could be a 10 day rental, etc. That's done all of the time. But asking for a weather day is akin to asking someone to borrow $10 knowing you'll probably never see them again.