PDA

View Full Version : Advice for filming a number of videos across the world.

wyatt
09-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Hi Guys,

I will be filming approximately 10 videos in a variety of countries across the world for a large client based in Canada (where I live).

Can anyone give advice on what documentation I will need. I will have a carnet for my gear, international gear and general liability insurance, health insurance, and documents from the client describing work I will be doing. What other documentation will I need? Will I require work visas?

Thanks!

markmwilliams
09-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Work Visas all depend on what countries you're visiting and what passport you hold.

For example as a UK citizen I need a visa for filming in the US (I have an iVisa), but can film in Canada or anywhere in Europe on a tourist Visa. And sorting out Visas for some countries can be a bureaucratic nightmare, India and Bangladesh for example, so make sure you give enough lead time.

Carnet is also not used everywhere and some countries you have to get other specific forms to import and export your equipment - again sometimes it needs to be done in advance and other times it's when you arrive in country and normally means a fairly lengthy visit to the customs office - make sure you don't have a tight turnaround on connecting flights for this occasions (I've seriously spent almost 5 hours at a customs office before).

That's just general advice but you really need to research the requirements for each country you're visiting well in advance.

wyatt
09-08-2015, 08:12 AM
Thank you Mark for the info and advice. Yes, after just a little further reading I have realized many of the things you have said. Looks like I have some work to do.

rick.lang
09-08-2015, 09:55 AM
Mark, this sounds like a well-heeled company. Perhaps the company is dealing in these countries and already has most of the answers you need including the restrictions of any countries that are stops along the way for interconnecting flights.

markmwilliams
09-08-2015, 10:17 AM
Mark, this sounds like a well-heeled company. Perhaps the company is dealing in these countries and already has most of the answers you need including the restrictions of any countries that are stops along the way for interconnecting flights.

You could be right Rick, however the ignorance and lack of foresight and planning with large corporations never ceases to amaze me :)

rick.lang
09-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Ideally the company's travel admin person(s) would make all the arrangements, but perhaps that would only apply to their own employees and not to a contractor.

Howie Roll
09-08-2015, 11:48 AM
You could be right Rick, however the ignorance and lack of foresight and planning with large corporations never ceases to amaze me :)
+1

markmwilliams
09-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Genuine conversation when a film crew I know (not me personally) called the co-ordinator back in the office to get an update on their travel itinerary:

Crew - "Can you send the details through for our flight home?"

Co-ordinator - "Flight home?"

They were filming in a country designated as a hostile environment when this particular conversation happened.