PDA

View Full Version : MFT Zoom lenses?

FrissionMedia
10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
I think about to pull the trigger on switching to the MFT version. The decision is based off of wanting more lens options for creative projects (anamorphic, pl glass, etc).

The thing is, I do commercials as my bread & butter, usually as a one man band, and I would like to get 1 (or 2 if necessary) nice zoom lenses for my day to day, so I don't have to switch glass all the time and don't have to carry a bunch of primes.
I'm just beginning my journey into MFT lenses so I don't really know what my options are.

Something like the Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 would be perfect but it's electronic. Is there anything else similar that I could use?

daveswan
10-18-2012, 01:39 PM
AFAIK there are no native manual m4/3 zooms. You would have to look for a vintage manual zoom, which because of it's age would be less likely to give good results than the vintage primes most people talk about, and would 1) have a shorter range 2) not go very wide, in fact probably start around 35mm and go to 105mm (The 35-105 f/3.5 was a mainstay of vintage manual zooms), giving you a medium to long tele range.

Sorry to be a wet blanket.

morgan_moore
10-18-2012, 01:54 PM
You have one option to consider (with many caveats).. MTF Alistair chapman make a wide angle converter for 2/3 ENG zooms that have a built in doubler

Beyond that I see the BMC as pretty much prime time

S

Kyle Prohaska
10-29-2012, 05:56 PM
The mount is passive but doesn't that simply mean the zoom lens will be kept wide open? Or does it mean it will simply stay at whatever setting it was left at least time it was on a MFT camera? If someone had a cheap Gh1 or something lying around you could technically change iris on that and then transfer the lens? Hassle but on a normal set I wonder if it's possible? Otherwise wide open on a lot of those zooms that are F4 or above wouldn't be that bad.

Can anyone confirm/deny what I've said? Curious... :)

Jason M.
10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
MFT zooms are focus by wire as well, so without an electronic mount, you won't be able to focus the lenses either, even in manual focus mode.

Kyle Prohaska
10-29-2012, 06:22 PM
MFT zooms are focus by wire as well, so without an electronic mount, you won't be able to focus the lenses either, even in manual focus mode.

Ah ok wasn't aware of the focus issue. Rats :/

Nomad
10-30-2012, 01:26 AM
I'd say µFT means primes, for zooms you'll need to take the EF route.

markmwilliams
10-30-2012, 02:05 AM
I'd say µFT means primes, for zooms you'll need to take the EF route.

Am I missing something here? Surely you'll be able to use Nikon zooms with an adaptor on the MFT mount? Which basically means if you want to go MFT for the primes and PL glass you can still have zooms like the Tokina 11-16 as an option.

daveswan
10-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Yes, with a Nikon G adapter, but you won't know the aperture, and as I understand the throw of the lever is quite short.

morgan_moore
10-30-2012, 10:44 AM
nikkor 14-24 is worth a think

S

Nomad
10-31-2012, 02:12 AM
But then it's Nikon all the way. It'll drive you nuts if some of your lenses will focus one way and the rest the opposite direction.

Plus, it's nearly impossible to pull the aperture (but that is true for electronic EF lenses as well).

Brian@202020
10-31-2012, 07:49 AM
But then it's Nikon all the way. It'll drive you nuts if some of your lenses will focus one way and the rest the opposite direction...

It's not that bad. I was an AC for many years and pulled focus in both direction almost daily. If you can't adapt to a change like that then you're not a good focus puller.

morgan_moore
10-31-2012, 08:02 AM
I disagree, it becomes a reflex action

Im a nikonite scared of the day I go to MFT/voigt or S16 lenses

S

Brian@202020
10-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Worse case you'll mess up one take going the wrong way. Even a monkey can learn from a mistake, and not do it wrong the next time.

morgan_moore
10-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Im worse than a monkey no doubt.

Nikon since '89

Brian@202020
10-31-2012, 09:25 AM
I doubt that :)

Nomad
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
If you have a focus puller, great! He/she doesn't need to focus the mind on anything else (pun intented).

But if you are on your own, you'll need to keep attention to so many things, you'll need to rely on body memory for pulling focus.
Believe me, i'm an ex-nikonite!

Brian@202020
10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I was an AC for many years and have been a shooter for many years as well. Sometimes with and sometimes with out an AC. For me it has never been an issue. There was many times in the early 35mm adapter days when I was pulling focus myself with a big heavy rig on my shoulder and switching between Nikon lenses, Canon lenses, Olympus lenses, etc, and never issues.