PDA

View Full Version : LightWorks

razz16mm
10-17-2012, 08:09 PM
I have successfully loaded the latest 11.02 release version of Lightworks on my 4 year old Core2 duo laptop. At least for DV footage it runs real time with no issues. I've just begun to play with and learn some of the features. Today I was trying out the color grading tools and scopes on some casual beach footage I shot handheld a couple of years ago.
The more I use this NLE the more I like it. It follows a film style editing paradigm organizing clips into bins. Double click on a clip thumbnail and it opens in a preview window where you can play through it, scrub through it, name it, add notes to metadata, and set rough in and out points. You can open multiple clips in multiple preview windows at a time.
The color correction/grading menu is pretty extensive too. You can turn off color to set grayscale values, then turn color back on. There are multiple modes for correcting and grading color primaries and secondaries. I was able to recover shadow details and color in a dark sunset shot well beyond what I thought could be done with my GL2 footage, but there was no recovering burned highlights. All of this is non destructive and can be reset or changed at any time until you render final output.
I am using the free version so far. But I am going to buy the pro license for $60 a year. Incredible value for the money. After just a couple of hours it is much faster, more efficient, and intuitive to use than Premiere Elements has ever been. I'm loving it.
I want to try transcoding some cinema DNG clips out to TIFF sequences soon to see how well the program and my laptop can handle that workflow.
DNG>Rawtherapee software>16bit tiffs>Lightworks>transcode to 8 or 10 bit uncompressed video on import>edit>export mpeg video.

rawCAM35
10-17-2012, 09:18 PM
In its old days was the ultimate editing software, but did not survive the Avid storm, many people in Europe are using it, other users feal the same as you said " After just a couple of hours it is much faster, more efficient, and intuitive to use".
I think it has great future, I am adding more ram to my HP xw8200 and pay the $ 60 for the other codecs support and start to get familiar with it.

adam777
10-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Lightworks supports AEX after-effects plug-ins. I heard that cineform studio and neat video are both AEX plugins, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried to see if they work with lightworks?

haavard
10-18-2012, 05:47 AM
I have successfully tried out quite a few are plugins during the early beta of Lightworks, but these were just 32bit versions.
The next alpha version for the testers are said to be the 64bit version of Lightworks, so hopefully we will get support for CS5/6 64bit plugins, I guess we'll know soon.
There are still some quirks, but it is under rapid development, but I'm quite enjoying it and are editing smaller jobs on it at the moment.

I've had success using Magic bullet plugins on an early beta, so I presume it should still be working fine, but I can confirm it as I'm travelling at the moment.

razz16mm
10-18-2012, 07:49 AM
I played with the first Beta version for a while. Until the most recent release update though none of the other versions would not work with my laptop video card drivers. Glad they got it fixed.

Dontshoutfilms
10-18-2012, 01:02 PM
I have been using Lightworks for about 18 months now and really love it. Like you said, once I got into how to really use it, it is so fast and easy. The only thing that is killing me is I started using Resolve lite for color, and fell in love with that as well, but have not found an efficient way to go back and forth between the two programs. If anyone has a good Lightworks to Resolve workflow, that would be amazing to hear.

thegregferris
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
What about exporting a complete movie and a EDL out of Lightworks then bringing that into Resolve? That should work.

Dontshoutfilms
10-19-2012, 01:04 PM
That's essentially what I do now. Export a full movie of the edit, then use the scene cut detection in Resolve to generate the cuts. It works fine, but once done it's another export, back into Lightworks etc. I would love if anyone has gotten EDLs or AAFs to work out of Lightworks into Resolve. They have never worked properly for me.

SMPse
10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I have no problem exporting an EDL from Lightworks, import into Resolve, grade, and then export a new EDL and the graded files from Resolve and back to Lightworks. I am using 'Create link' for the media files in Lightworks, and point Resolve to the very same files and folders. Use one video track for your EDLs.

rawCAM35
03-12-2013, 11:58 AM
Lightworks for Linux demo

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/512-lightworks-for-linux-first-ever-official-full-length-demo

worth checking out