PDA

View Full Version : bulk dvd recommendations?

kevin baggott
08-05-2015, 11:02 AM
Hmmm - thought there would be something on this already here but couldn't find anything.
I need to make 500 dvd's, shrinked-wrapped etc.
Any suggestions of reputable duplicator vendors you used?
Most appreciated.

Jacob Rapp
08-05-2015, 03:28 PM
Diskmakers.com has always been reliable for me.

kevin baggott
08-05-2015, 03:45 PM
thanks jacob - will check out - don't know how often you make dvd/br - have you ever thought about buying a duplicator?
just looking into them now
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816639-REG/Microboards_QD_BD_H7_BD_H7_QD_Blu_ray_Tower.html

dop16mm
09-08-2015, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't go duplication for any order of that size. There have always been compatibility issues with duplicated (burned) discs and Blu-Ray is even worse if you ever need that. What you want is replication which creates a glass master and presses the disc like all professional releases. I believe the above linked vendor does that, good luck.

If you are doing a very niche release with a high box price (educational release with public performance license) you can get away with dubs as defect returns won't kill you.

kevin baggott
09-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Thanks - yeah - I had explored the replication route.

kgimedia
09-08-2015, 09:47 PM
My business started in 2004 as a duplication house for indy filmmakers. Many had no idea how to make DVD's. While issues with compatibility were rampant at one time it was mainly an old DVD player issue that has all but gone away. The big issue these days is what is your time worth. When I started my cost was about $1.50 per disc and I sold for $5-$8 a disc. None of the big houses were doing duplication only replication and you needed to order 1000 minimum. Now you can order 1 disc if you want. At 500 discs you are looking at under $1 a disc. You might be able to get the material for a bit less then that but it will take you two or three solid days to make 500 discs.