PDA

View Full Version : Autofocus update for EF Speedbooster

4saken
07-27-2015, 05:57 PM
In case anyone missed it, there is a new firmware update that adds autofocus support to the speedbooster for Panasonic cameras. I haven't had a chance to try the update, did anyone here do it yet? Would be interested to know if the focus button on the BMPCC now works with EF glass.

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/EF-M43_SB_Firmware_Win

Jason Greene
07-27-2015, 08:40 PM
After seeing this thread, I updated my BMPCC Speedbooster. I hadn't updated in quite some time, so I went from v0.55 to v1.70 (1 JUN 2015) on the Speedbooster.

Yes, the "autofocus" now works on the BMPCC. To be clear, it isn't autofocus in the sense that it is continuous autofocus. If you hold down the "focus" button the BMPCC, the Canon AF lens will change focus and, sometimes, hit good focus. Just pointing it around my desk, it was about 50% hit/miss. In some cases, it came close and then stopped and a second holding of the focus button then nailed the focus. In one case, it wouldn't hit the focus at all.

This was all with a Canon EF 24mm 2.8 IS USM.

DPStewart
07-27-2015, 09:05 PM
Seems hardly worth the effort....

But boy, I sure would love fully continuous auto-focus of EF lenses on an MFT mount. That would really open up some run and gun possibilities.

Denny Smith
07-27-2015, 09:29 PM
BM cameras do not support continuous auto focus on the MFT or EF mount, and only a few of the Panny/Olypmus lenses will support it either. Don't hold your breath for third party lenses either. In most situations, full auto focus is just too slow and does a lot of hunting while trying to lock focus, this is a "still camera" feature, and not really useable in video, unless you are shooting with a Nikon V3, which will quickly lock on a subject and keep it in focus quick enough for video shooting, or a 60fps still burst in raw.

4saken
07-27-2015, 09:41 PM
yeah, the focus button was never working that great, even with MFT glass, but nice to see that metabones managed to get this working with EF lenses.

tclark513
07-28-2015, 11:32 AM
After seeing this thread, I updated my BMPCC Speedbooster. I hadn't updated in quite some time, so I went from v0.55 to v1.70 (1 JUN 2015) on the Speedbooster.

Yes, the "autofocus" now works on the BMPCC. To be clear, it isn't autofocus in the sense that it is continuous autofocus. If you hold down the "focus" button the BMPCC, the Canon AF lens will change focus and, sometimes, hit good focus. Just pointing it around my desk, it was about 50% hit/miss. In some cases, it came close and then stopped and a second holding of the focus button then nailed the focus. In one case, it wouldn't hit the focus at all.

This was all with a Canon EF 24mm 2.8 IS USM.

Is it easy to update the Speedbooster? I don't have mine in front of me. Does the Speedbooster have a direct conection? USB?

Thanks!

tclark513
07-28-2015, 08:10 PM
Never mind... pretty easy although my Sigma 17-50 still will not auto focus with the new firmware.

louwirth
08-02-2015, 09:52 PM
Seems like its windows only. Or am I missing something here. What do Mac users do?

Now I see the link was for PC. The site has mac downloads. Makes sense.