PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading PC - wait for Thunderbolt?

Steve Madsen
05-01-2012, 07:11 AM
I'm in the market for a new PC (hacked GH2 footage proving too taxing), and I'll pick up the BMC before the end of the year.

Homework suggests that I could get something very nice now for 2-3k (3930 cpu, gtx580, 32GB ram etc)...but given the Thunderbolt port on the BMC, I'm wondering if I should wait for a motherboard that has Thunderbolt built in?

I really have no clue on the subject, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Andrew_HD
05-01-2012, 07:50 AM
It's matter of few months based on companies statements.

Macalincag
05-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm wondering if I should wait for a motherboard that has Thunderbolt built in?

As for me I recently built a PC and chose to get a case that had a SATA dock up top. This way I can just stick in SSDs/HDDs directly, which will completely bypass the need to power on the camera every time I need transfer content. It's very convenient.

Steve Madsen
05-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks guys...and Mac that case sounds interesting.

I learned plenty from this thread...

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?128-Updates-on-some-features/page1

...and judging by the current Thunderbolt implementation on the camera, it may not be too important to me.

Frank Glencairn
05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I was under the impression, that you canīt download the footage from the camera anyway.
I thought the TB port is just for Ultrascope and capturing.

Frank

Steve Madsen
05-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Yep, that's my understanding...so tb is a non factor for me now.

mhood
05-01-2012, 11:47 AM
The Ultrascope on a ThunderBolt laptop might prove very important in setting up the BMC for shooting. The thought of only having a zebra and two WB settings bothers me. Maybe I worry too much...or am missing something obvious...or both.

Frank Glencairn
05-01-2012, 05:03 PM
You need an on camera monitor anyway, and that would provide false color, waveform, vectorscope, peaking andwhatnot.
Sounds easer to me, than buying a MacBook and have it hooked up the the camera.

Barry Green
05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Well, yeah, but -- waveform and vectorscope and such tools are typically used in processing the video signal. The BMC is outputting a raw signal. I haven't looked into this, but isn't it likely that the thunderbolt->ultrascope route would provide a lot more accurate monitoring for when shooting raw?

When shooting prores/DNX, certainly the SDI output to a monitor's tools should be totally satisfactory, but I'm just wondering if they'll be adequate for getting the most out of the raw workflow?

Osslund
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
I think it would be great to have a WFM displayed on the LCD and use SDI to monitor. A WFM is much better than false colours anyday.

Barry Green
05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Yeah, just looked through UltraScope and it doesn't say anything about any provisions for the raw workflow, it looks like traditional video scopes.

If that's the way it stays, then agreed the thunderbolt wouldn't necessarily be that crucial to use. But if they update ultrascope to understand the full range of the raw signal, then I'd definitely want to have thunderbolt to take advantage of that. And thunderbolt Windows computers should be shipping next month, so it's not like it's a big huge wait...

Barry Green
05-01-2012, 05:21 PM
Hmm... then again, UltraScope doesn't list Thunderbolt at all. The existing UltraScope is a USB3 device, and it's a physical thing you have to buy (either an external box with a USB3 interface, or a PCI slot). Whereas what they're showing with the BMC is something entirely different. Apparently the UltraScope functionality is actually built into the camera(!) So now my hopes are going back up that it's optimized for raw images...

John Brawley
05-01-2012, 05:40 PM
The Ultrascope on a ThunderBolt laptop might prove very important in setting up the BMC for shooting. The thought of only having a zebra and two WB settings bothers me. Maybe I worry too much...or am missing something obvious...or both.

There are actually three WB settings, 3200K, 5600k and 6500K....

jb

mhood
05-01-2012, 05:57 PM

jb

Then add a live histogram that doesn't blank the screen and a custom WB button to my very short list of wants.

nickjbedford
05-01-2012, 07:08 PM

jb

Really? I suppose for most purposes those three are fine, but a custom WB should be included.

mik303
05-01-2012, 07:09 PM
I bought a 4900 series custom PC from Boxx. This PC is a beast and a I run the Adobe Production Suite, Sony Vegas 10-11 and 3ds Max on this machine. It renders 2-4 times faster than my 17" Mac Book Pro with bootcamp, (the model with Thunderbolt) depending on the project. I have a 2gb GTX 580 installed + 16gb system RAM, and it streams footage from the GH2 very smoothly. It's pretty good for 4k .r3d files as well, but not perfect. My system drive is SSD and I have a 2 TB Raid 0 (7200 rpm). I also use various external drives for archiving. USB 3 and SATA

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/3DBOXX/4900_Overview.asp

I worked with a lady named Geraldine when I bought mine, but everyone from this company seems really nice and knowledgeable. They are based in Austin, Texas.

mhood
05-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Really? I suppose for most purposes those three are fine, but a custom WB should be included.

John did say that BMD designed the BMC to be a "RAW" camera. I imagine BMD envisions all of us shooting RAW and setting the WB in Resolve. I was confused by the "WB baked in to RAW" comment though. It might change when I get the camera but I expect I'll be shooting to Prores, editing and delivering in PPro CS5.5 so I want to get exposure and WB right in the camera when I shoot. This is probably not what BMD had in mind.

mcgeedigital
05-01-2012, 08:15 PM
With the unknown future of the Mac Pro, I built a overclocked water cooled PC that screams and have been VERY happy.

It screams through 4k footage in CS5.5.

I'm pretty sure 2.5k footage will be just fine.

Frank Glencairn
05-02-2012, 12:40 AM
Yeah, in a professional post environment, with tight deadlines and customers breathing down at your neck, a PC is the better solution in the moment (and with a way better price per "horsepower"). I think that market is just a low profit niche for Apple - and they treat it like that.. They make their money with iTunes, phones and tablets now.

And I was raised on Macs, but jumped that ship quite a while ago.

Frank

strancali
05-02-2012, 03:06 AM
With the unknown future of the Mac Pro, I built a overclocked water cooled PC that screams and have been VERY happy.

It screams through 4k footage in CS5.5.

I'm pretty sure 2.5k footage will be just fine.

Could you share the specs on your built? I am looking into building a new system also. Thanks :)

dwaisman
05-02-2012, 08:08 AM
I'm on the same page, migrating in the opposite direction: From a very powerful and heavy laptop PC to a desktop PC. It gets to the point where you can't expand the laptop any further and half of its technology becomes obsolete very fast.
I'm planning to build a bare-bones system with the upcoming MSI Z77A-GD65. It has been announce that it would include USB 3 and thunderbolt at the motherboard.

fahnon
05-02-2012, 11:29 AM
I may need to go back to the PC world too... I need more power and Apple is just too pricey for me at the moment. I've invested too much in Apple software (FCPX + Plugins, Logic Pro, etc) to throw away my Mac, but I'll probably build a new PC and do the editing/output on it, then switch to Mac for Finishing and sound.

Barry Green
05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
It gets to the point where you can't expand the laptop any further
That's part of the selling point of Thunderbolt though; since it's basically PCI-Express in a cable, the argument goes that it enables external expansion like a desktop. There is some heavy speculation that we've seen the last of the Mac Pros, because Apple defines themselves as a "mobile" products company, and perhaps views Thunderbolt as expansion enough to warrant not bothering building desktop chassis computers anymore.

I don't know that I buy into the idea that a cable is all the expansion we need, but it's an intriguing philosophy.

daveswan
05-02-2012, 01:14 PM
But can you add a second graphics card through TB?
Just asking.

Andrew_HD
05-02-2012, 01:38 PM
But can you add a second graphics card through TB?
Just asking.

Sony does it- sells external box with good graphic card as add on to their expenisve Z series laptops. This box uses TB connection, but it's Sony's custom made implementation as far as I know.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/sony-vaio-z-series-laptop-boasts-external-graphics-and-thunderbolt-tech-50004246/