PDA

View Full Version : Question ... Aperture gear ring on cinelenses

Kosmokrator
10-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Hi there.
I wonder why most cinelenses (if not all) have a gear ring for the aperture.
For the focus gear ring you normally use a follow focus, all right. But i haven't seen anything special for the aperture ring yet.
How is the aperture gear ring used in the professional film world typically?

RobertJ
10-14-2012, 07:31 AM
I can think of one situation:

Usually, the aperture is changed when going from a dark environment to a bright environment (dark, with large aperture, to bright, with small aperture), and vice versa.

This means that the camera is moving, like on a steadicam, which also means that the focus and aperture is being controlled with a wireless electronic follow focus unit.

So you have one motor gear on the focus ring, and one motor gear on the aperture ring, while focus and aperture changes can be made on the remote.

The movie "Elephant" has students constantly being followed, as they go from inside of the school, to outside of the school, and vice versa, with no cuts. You can see as the aperture is closed down, or opened up.

Watch this clip starting at 5:10 ( http://youtu.be/FW-2nwjWce4?t=5m10s ) as the boy in the yellow shirt walks outside.

teh
10-14-2012, 11:44 AM
In Cinema productions it is quite usual to use a motor to control the aperature. Most wireless focus systems can control multiple motors at once (Arri WCU, C-motion etc.) It is used mostly when your cant reach the lens physically (the camera might be on a crane, octocopter, high up in a tree, on a steadycam ... ) or for the sake of comfort, when your 1.AC is controlling the exposure.

Kosmokrator
10-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Thank you very much: RobertJ & teh.

I did some search on the internet and found a remote controller for focus and aperture with a reasonable price at jag35.com.

sksprocket
10-14-2012, 09:11 PM
amazing cinematography in elephant. rip harris savides.