PDA

View Full Version : Have I overcharged or is this OK? (UK)

analog_addict
06-23-2015, 01:34 PM
I've been asked to shoot a conference in London, at the Microsoft HQ there (Presuming they have a large budget because of this). I live up North so there is a lot of travel. My cost breakdown is:

Director / Camera 1 (including C100 kit) - 450
Camera 2 / Sound Recordist - 250
Editing - 500
2nd C100 + Canon 70-200 F2.8 rental - 200
Travel costs to London and back - 200

Total - 1600

The last job I did for them was the same thing, a conference. I charged 750 and the location was a 30min drive. This time I think total travel will be 10-11 hours. Actual on location time, probably 5-6 hours.

Leaving at 11am and returning home at 3am. A huge day. Final video content is the full edited conference plus a 5-6min condensed version.

Does this sound OK? Travelling such a huge distance has really increased the price. They said they wanted me rather than a London based company since I did such a good job last time around.

jtfarabee
06-23-2015, 03:40 PM
I can't speak to your normal local rates, but I've been hired for stuff before and been paid one day rate for travel days, and a higher rate for shooting days. Also, are you traveling 11 hours and shooting 6 hours in the same day? Depending on how you travel, that my be risky. For one, if anything goes wrong in transit, you won't be there to shoot. Another is fatigue. I know I don't do my best work when I'm exhausted. So you might want to consider asking them to pay for travel expenses (and a small fee for the time) as well as overnight accommodations to ensure you aren't late or too tire to do your best work. Just a thought.

Jared Caldwell
06-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Sounds totally reasonable to me (I'm converting to USD and thinking about my area).

Adam Roberts
06-23-2015, 04:41 PM
Looks fine to me. I'd not do it for less.

Marckusw
06-23-2015, 05:03 PM
Looks good from here. Silicon Valley

rick.lang
06-23-2015, 05:39 PM
I don't know but that's a lot of travel and not much compensation. Since they want you there, I'd be tempted to ask if you could fly in/out or if you're driving include a stay over in a hotel. You really will be exhausted with that much work and travel in less than 24 hours. And what about meals and so on? You and your crew need to eat.

jambredz
06-23-2015, 06:27 PM
At least budget to hire a bus/Van whatever you guys call it over there, for you and your crew....so you have a dedicated driver. No one on the crew should be driving that distance and then have to work and then have to drive back. You and you crew (if you have a crew) can rest/sleep in the bus. Either that or budget in accommodations to stay the night.

4saken
06-23-2015, 07:43 PM
I'd charge more. The whole thing sounds like a very exhausting gig. Stuff like that should be paid well.

analog_addict
06-24-2015, 06:24 AM
I did consider driving but it would take longer and driving into the centre of London is nearly impossible. There is little to no parking (and spaces are 30 for the day), huge amounts of traffic and congestion charges. I'd also like to be able to rest and relax on the train rather than having to focus on driving. The Microsoft HQ is right next to a station. I'd probably have to rent a car as well, I wouldn't want to put 600 miles on my 26yr old classic :)

I've sent the quote already so I can't change the price now, just wanted to check with everyone here.

There are multiple big businesses at the conference so I'm hoping to get further work through networking.

I figure I'll make just over 1K for around 3-4 days of work including the editing. Not the best but nothing to scoff at either. I'm a little dry on work at the moment so I'm happy to have the job.

Jared Caldwell
06-24-2015, 11:08 AM
I think you're doing it right. I probably would have arranged different travel, but everything you've said sounds totally reasonable.

Rest assured. :)

rick.lang
06-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Okay, I didn't realize travel was by train which is much easier than driving! Next time though don't you think you need to add all expenses incurred such as those meals and taxis and anything else that's incurred? And you need compensation for your travel time too. Don't know why you sought advice after you've already signed a contract, but you were in an enviable position on this given they wanted you and didn't tender it for bids! Get smart! It's difficult to change rates for this client because you've set their cost expectations now, even for next year, unless you are using different gear and crew, but for your next new client, think about those little things that erode your profit. All your expenses should be compensated by the client. They're not a lot, but that's not unreasonable at all when you need to travel.

analog_addict
06-24-2015, 06:03 PM
Okay, I didn't realize travel was by train which is much easier than driving! Next time though don't you think you need to add all expenses incurred such as those meals and taxis and anything else that's incurred? And you need compensation for your travel time too. Don't know why you sought advice after you've already signed a contract, but you were in an enviable position on this given they wanted you and didn't tender it for bids! Get smart! It's difficult to change rates for this client because you've set their cost expectations now, even for next year, unless you are using different gear and crew, but for your next new client, think about those little things that erode your profit. All your expenses should be compensated by the client. They're not a lot, but that's not unreasonable at all when you need to travel.

Hi Rick, my travel cost of 200 is an estimate and stated as subject to change on the quote. This includes train fare, taxi fare, tube fare and meals. I usually just keep all my receipts and include them if required.

My travel time is compensated. I'm charging 450 as my day rate for the shoot. My usual day rate is 300. The actual filming is only a half day with the rest sitting on a train. I thought it seemed OK.

Also while they have booked me for the shoot, I haven't actually heard back from them since I sent the quote which is why I made this thread. I'll nudge them in a day or so.

rick.lang
06-24-2015, 07:46 PM
Ah, then you have a contingency related to actual expenses. Good, then I agree with the others they out seem to have taken care of things at a fair rate. Good luck with the shoot and post.

fingerprince
06-27-2015, 05:20 AM
Sounds cheap to me
and tiring :-)
Maybe I am just old lol

gmfb
06-28-2015, 01:51 AM
Sounds cheap to me
and tiring :-)
Maybe I am just old lol

+1

At least I'd let them pay a whole extra day because of the long travel (besides travel expenses). And a "microsoft"-surplus on top of all that ;-)

analog_addict
06-29-2015, 05:39 AM
Just had a phone call. The quote was rejected for being too expensive and we won't be doing the job.

I'm sick of being a freelancer. :(

jambredz
06-29-2015, 06:47 AM
Sucks. And it wasn't even an unfair price... And it's frickn Microsoft. I'm sure they are gonna go with some cheap ass person that prob won't do such a great job. I'm in Florida now...but 2 days before I had to leave I get a call saying I'm needed in the Bahamas during my Florida trip. A long term job that I'm on tried outsourcing to a local Bahamian outfit for that portion of the project instead of using myself and my peeps. They didn't like the results.... So now after paying for that they now have to pay more to now fly us there and do it over (and also interrupt my trip). Hopefully Microsoft will see the value of your work (after all that's why they wanted u firstly) and will be willing to actually pay you after they get crappy work.

stip
06-29-2015, 08:07 AM
You did nothing wrong though.

jambredz
06-29-2015, 08:46 AM
You did nothing wrong though.

Yeh... Not your fault. Thems the breaks.

jtfarabee
06-29-2015, 10:32 AM
That sucks to hear. I've been turned down for work before because I live too far away and wanted travel expenses. Your prices were not out of line at all, so have some confidence in knowing that it's their decision, not your fault.

stip
06-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Sucks. And it wasn't even an unfair price... And it's frickn Microsoft. I'm sure they are gonna go with some cheap ass person that prob won't do such a great job. I'm in Florida now...but 2 days before I had to leave I get a call saying I'm needed in the Bahamas during my Florida trip. A long term job that I'm on tried outsourcing to a local Bahamian outfit for that portion of the project instead of using myself and my peeps. They didn't like the results.... So now after paying for that they now have to pay more to now fly us there and do it over (and also interrupt my trip). Hopefully Microsoft will see the value of your work (after all that's why they wanted u firstly) and will be willing to actually pay you after they get crappy work.

Seems to be a global phenomenon :)