PDA

View Full Version : Sigma 18-35 Nikon Mount to EF?

abwell
06-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Hi folks. I'm super new to the BMD and lens-adapting world, so please pardon if any of this reeks of naivete. My situation is this:

I currently have a Nikon D600 and plan on getting a Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera when they're released. I'm looking into the Sigma 18-35, and it seems great, and I'm pretty much decided on that and a speedbooster, and maybe the Tokina 11-16 as well.

I am also open to one day eventually splurging for the Ursa Mini 4.6k, and I'm wondering, if I get the Sigma 18-35 in Nikon mount, would that essentially render it a brick for the Ursa Mini? as it doesn't have an aperture ring? Are there any speedbooster-manual-aperture-control-like solutions for this that aren't super flimsy? I did some cursory googling but wasn't convinced by the quality of anything I found. Maybe somebody has experience with some of them.

Just looking for opinions on whether I'd be better off selling my D600 and going all out EF mount given my future potential Ursa family plans. Or if I should just quit waffling around and go with what I have and pull the trigger on Nikon mount things.

Denny Smith
06-13-2015, 09:31 PM
No to selling your Nikon, yes to Nikon mount Sigma lens, as you can get a Nikon G to Canon EF mount, that can control the f/stops on the lens, it has a little lever to one side. You do not need a Speed booster on the Ursa Mini, as sensor is almost same size as Nikon DX. You do get a benefit in using the SB on the Micro, as it has a smaller S16 sensor, and the SB will give the Micro a FOV match to the 4K Mini, so you can use the two cameras together. You could also keep the Nikon mount lens for the Micro, and get a second EF mount Sigma for the Ursa Mini, so you can have a two cameras available to use together.

abwell
06-14-2015, 04:27 AM
Right I wasn't talking about an actual speed booster on the ursa mini, was just referring to the handy manual aperture control on the nikon-mft speedbooster. But if Nikon G to Canon EF mount adapters are reliable that pretty much solves my dilemma entirely. Thanks for the thoughts!

goodgoings
06-14-2015, 06:25 AM
How accurate are those Nikon G to Canon EF levers when using a light meter and a specific aperture is called for? Can someone turn the lever and get f/4 as the light meter says to expose for?

steve phillipps
06-14-2015, 09:14 AM
If it were me (and it was!) I'd go for the Canon mount. The Nikon adapters that control the aperture are really fiddly I've found. Also with the Canon mount lens you have full electronic connection for using the on-camera iris controls (and IS if the lens has it).
Cracking lens, I was surprised how much better it was than the for example the Canon 17-55 2.8 and 17-40 f4 - easily noticeably sharper and more punchy. Plus far better build quality - feels like a lump of iron!
Steve

abwell
06-15-2015, 01:05 AM
Thanks Steve!

Denny Smith
06-15-2015, 12:07 PM
Personally, I would not get the Sigma 18-35 to use on the Pocket camera , too big, too many issues with adapters. But, for the Ursa/Mini the EF mount version would be a very good fit, and I would do this combo in a minute, along with the new Tokina Cine series 11-16 EF lens. Both lenses would cover most shooting situations, but neither one of these two zooms are Parfocal, close but not quite right on.

steve phillipps
06-15-2015, 12:09 PM
neither one of these two zooms are Parfocal, close but not quite right on.

My 18-35 isn't even slightly close to being parfocal!

Steve Wake
06-15-2015, 12:37 PM
My 18-35 isn't even slightly close to being parfocal!

Neither was mine until I adjusted the backfocus by adjusting the optic cell on my BMPCC Metabones Speedbooster. That got FFD within specs and witness marks on all lenses are accurate. I wish there was an easy way to shim a plain adapter. If I really needed the parfocal capabilities I would probably cut some shims.

Denny Smith
06-15-2015, 12:44 PM
An adjustable flange distance on a Nikon to MFT adapter would be interesting, indeed Steve. There is room in the adapter to do this, or at least a place for shims, like the Wooden Camera PL shimable mount.

k Stark
06-15-2015, 12:46 PM
I have both the sigma and the Tokina. The only reason I use the Tokina is if I have to go wider than 18mm, like if I'm backed into a corner. The Tokina flares a lot too, the sigma is much more in control.
The sig is a real holy grail IMHO