PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid SSDs and CF/SATA enclosure

egproductions
10-10-2012, 09:38 AM
I've been wondering if the performance of Hybrid SSDs are good enough for BMCC. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-Solid-Hybrid-ST95005620AS/dp/B003NSBF32

I also came across this CF/SATA raid encolosure and was wondering if this would be fast enough if used with some high end CF cards. The encolsure can be set for mirroring or spanning so perhaps this is a good alternative to a dual CF card slot for really critical shoots.

http://www.sansdigital.com/storage-gadgets/cr2t.html

MiguelFranco
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Neither of those seem viable options. I wouldn't be very confident with my footage being stored in a hard disk running arround from one place to another on set. The CF card enclosure just isn't economically viable, just look at the prices of a decent speed large capacity CF card and compare it to an SSD.

jabloomf1230
10-11-2012, 07:07 PM
The mechanical part of the hybrid drive would run the battery down in no time flat.

egproductions
10-12-2012, 10:13 AM
All good points. The battery life is a sacrafice. Surely extra batter power will be cheaper buying SSD drives. The reliability of the moving parts of the hybrid drive is a deal breaker for me personally. In regards to the CF cards being expensive compared to SSD storage, I totally agree, however, I already have about 350GB of CF cards and it might be a good option for really speciatly shots were redundancy is critical.

That being said, I agree these aren't great options for typical situations but good to know there are possible alternatives out there.

mbeck
10-12-2012, 10:33 AM
No, the hybrids are a joke. I had one in my laptop, and it may have helped with some operations.. but large files and all my speed tests showed no improvement at all.

metaljesus
10-12-2012, 11:37 AM
That CR2T drive looks really appealing. Especially as I already own 8x 32GB in high speed CF and not a single SSD. Plus I'll probably be keeping my 7D as a b-cam for the first 12 months or so. Not to mention the redundancy.

Question is though, can you trust it like you would an approved SSD? I'm not sure I'd feel great about it.

metaljesus
10-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Mind you in mirroring mode 32GB is not going to be much record time on a BMCC. Im think I just talked myself out of it. :)