PDA

View Full Version : Fury Road is Saturated! Do you like the look?

Andrew
05-11-2015, 10:37 PM
At least the trailers I've seen online make the film look super saturated. This is the type of film I'd expect to be shot on RED with a gritty and desaturated look, but Fury Road was shot on Alexa in raw and looks like no other film I can think of.

I love what John Seale, the cinematographer, said about the look.

"I know with Mad Max, it won’t look anything like a ‘good film image’ and it won’t look anything like a ‘good digital image’…it will look like its own image. I think that’s the wonder of it.”

There's nothing wrong with trying to make your footage look like a particular motion picture film stock, whether real or completely made up by some dude that's never worked with the supposed stock that he's selling a LUT for. I just cringe a little when the idea that there is only one right look, or a handful of appropriate looks that are "cinematic," is spread.

I like good looking footage as much as anyone, but I'm starting to think that most grades are going to be just fine as long as they're fairly consistent and backed by an interesting story and great audio. I think those last two things will help the audience be swept into your film more than any look can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

rick.lang
05-11-2015, 10:54 PM
As the novelist Faulkner said, "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

4saken
05-11-2015, 11:39 PM
I don't know, it looks like the typical teal & orange pushed to the extreme. not that spectacular of a grading. but the movie looks like fun, I'm certainly going to watch it.

Joe Giambrone
05-12-2015, 12:06 AM

"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."
-The Tragedy of Macbeth, by William Shakespeare

rick.lang
05-13-2015, 08:56 AM
All true, Joe, and great drama; but I preferred reading the William Faulkner novel, The Sound and the Fury, which takes its title from your reference.

Somnio
05-14-2015, 01:49 AM
I have to say the look and feel of the image really bothers me within the context of the Mad Max universe. It just doesn't mesh with the gritty world I know from the series. Too glossy, too refined, too pretty to be post-apocalyptic.

It's just this fucking trend now that everything has to look polished. Even in a film in which the world has fallen to shit, it's gotta be pretty. It's the equivalent of dangling shiney objects in front of a small child.

Ugh. Rant over.

Ashenwraith
05-14-2015, 02:25 AM
Don't like the movie, but saturating is just a no-brainer because of all the dirt. Otherwise the movie would be all faded brown/off white.

You could still make it work like the original, but it would be more difficult because you'd have to be more aware of the sky, wardrobe, and accenting with fabric/flags, etc.

Saturation aside, not a fan of the aqua blue sky and mustard turf combo.

I can just feel the presence of some director/producer demanding it have a comic or colorful cartoon look.

Mad Max II and III had a real gritty/rustic feel, this movie is like Johnny Depp Alice in Wonderland but with a desert backdrop.

misterkofa
05-14-2015, 11:57 AM
Love it, can't wait.

Andrew
05-14-2015, 02:58 PM
I have to say the look and feel of the image really bothers me within the context of the Mad Max universe. It just doesn't mesh with the gritty world I know from the series.

I would have expected it to look like most other post-apocalyptic movies out there. That's why I'm really surprised that it looks the way it does. I'll reserve final judgement for once I've seen it, but I'm guessing I'm not going to be thinking about the look when there's so much else going on. Kind of my point originally.

It seems as if the promo images are desaturated and gritty. It's like the defacto post-apocalyptic look has been slapped on each image with varying degrees of success.

http://www.wired.com/2015/05/nicholas-hoult-mad-max/
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/zoe-kravitz-wives-mad-max-fury-road-article-1.2213982
http://www.omaha.com/go/before-mad-max-fury-road-here-are-essential-post-apocalyptic/article_c12a65fc-f8c3-11e4-9d1e-0b2e2ecafe91.html

I'm also surprised to see that the movie has a 99% on rottentomatoes with 121 reviews so far. Honestly, I was a baby when the last Mad Max movie came out and never had the desire to watch anything from this series. A good post-apocalyptic film for me is The Road, not dude's with suped up hot rods, big hair, giant stacks of amplifiers, and guitars that shoot fire. Fury Road is intriguing though for several reasons. I have a hunch that there's more than meets the eye with this series.

Ashenwraith
05-14-2015, 10:55 PM
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/nicholas-hoult-mad-max/
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/zoe-kravitz-wives-mad-max-fury-road-article-1.2213982
http://www.omaha.com/go/before-mad-max-fury-road-here-are-essential-post-apocalyptic/article_c12a65fc-f8c3-11e4-9d1e-0b2e2ecafe91.html

I'm also surprised to see that the movie has a 99% on rottentomatoes with 121 reviews so far. Honestly, I was a baby when the last Mad Max movie came out and never had the desire to watch anything from this series. A good post-apocalyptic film for me is The Road, not dude's with suped up hot rods, big hair, giant stacks of amplifiers, and guitars that shoot fire. Fury Road is intriguing though for several reasons. I have a hunch that there's more than meets the eye with this series.

The Dark Knight proved any movie can be a hit and any actor can get an oscar, it's all up to the hype machine.

These days Hollywood puts out so few movies every one has to be a 'hit' or they will go out of business.

Most critics are entirely irrelevant since their viewpoint is limited to how x movie relates to y movie's political history.

DPStewart
05-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Do I like the color? No.
Like everything in this film it is so overdone that it's not the slightest bit realistic anymore - and that makes it less believable.
Everything in THE ROAD WARRIOR was so amplified already that it only barely worked.
Trying to turn everything up way past that point just turns it into a Godzilla movie.

LochnessDigital
05-15-2015, 02:52 AM
I can just feel the presence of some director/producer demanding it have a comic or colorful cartoon look.

Considering Fury Road is produced, written and directed by George Miller, I refuse to believe someone other than himself had the final say about the color in this movie. It must have been how he wanted it this time around.

That said, I personally don't like the look either.

Ashenwraith
05-15-2015, 03:14 AM
Considering Fury Road is produced, written and directed by George Miller, I refuse to believe someone other than himself had the final say about the color in this movie. It must have been how he wanted it this time around.

That said, I personally don't like the look either.

I guess you never saw Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

They don't pay directors to be creative anymore, they pay them to churn-out previsualized hockey pucks.

Guarantee you there is a sequel set-up, no story, and lots of random things blowing up.

This movie looks like a Batman & Robin version of Mad Max.

Bob Loblaw
05-15-2015, 08:27 AM

They don't pay directors to be creative anymore, they pay them to churn-out previsualized hockey pucks.

Guarantee you there is a sequel set-up, no story, and lots of random things blowing up.

Go see the movie first before saying that.

I personally thought that it was one of the very best action films I've ever seen. I'd stack it next to Raiders of the Lost Ark, Terminator 2, and The Matrix as some of the most innovative filmmaking in the genre. This movie manages to make you care for every single character involved (which is a feat considering that this is pure visual storytelling with very minimal dialog). The plot itself is simplistic (it's a big chase scene), but the characters and the intensity of the action is just phenomenal. The action in this film isn't just mindless filler like the majority of blockbusters out there, this action drives the story forward and even serves as character development.

And as for the look, I thought it was gorgeous, and some of the shots were just breathtaking. Critics also seem to be praising the cinematography, so I'm not the only looney who loved the look of this film. It was refreshing to see a movie use a wide ranging color palette instead of the monotone and desaturate hues which plague most modern films. I didn't care for the look of some of the day for night scenes, but that is just a minor nitpick in an otherwise brilliantly insane action film. Miller was certainly playing by his own rules with this film, and we need more ballsy filmmakers like that who are willing to break rules and try new things.

Frank Glencairn
05-15-2015, 08:48 AM
Not my sort of film at all,
but here is a ton of really interesting camera nerd talk on how they shot it - well worth watching, even if you don't like it.

https://vimeo.com/127381179

Bob Loblaw
05-15-2015, 09:16 AM
but here is a ton of really interesting camera nerd talk on how they shot it - well worth watching, even if you don't like it.

Great find. Wow, they shot most of this film at less than 24fps??? That's wild, Seale even says they even went down to 6fps and 7fps :eek:

Egg Born Son
05-15-2015, 11:36 AM
Thanks for that Frank. I saw it opening night with a bunch of cameraman, editors and producers. It was an incredible film experience. I swear the cinematographers were in more danger than the stuntmen. Insane action but as Bob said the action drove the story and the characterisation. Hollywood tends to stop the movie to have an action scene. I get incredibly bored within a minute or two and since it's close to 100% CGI not a lot of wow factor. Mad Max brought me back to the good old days(tm) on a scale that couldn't have even been dreamed of back then. I have to admit, this movie hasn't stuck to me so much since leaving the cinema. And Tom Hardy didn't fill the shoes by a long shot. But between Gravity, Interstellar and this I can report that I am thoroughly enjoying the big screen experience again. All three left me breathless for different reasons.

robmneilson
05-15-2015, 11:58 AM
I'm not able to see this until Monday, but in terms of the look it just seems much too beautiful and clean to me. Would have loved to see what this would be like if they shot is super 16 by the seat of their pants. I just feel like with all of that dirt on-screen we need to see some grain!

Anyway, can't wait to see this...looks amazing and well worth the long wait.

Ashenwraith
05-15-2015, 08:39 PM
My brother really wants to go to a movie, trying to get him to see this instead of age of ultron.

Roman
05-15-2015, 09:19 PM
This might be the best action movie ever made. Absolutely incredible. I think I nearly cried in some parts because of just how spectacular everything looked. That's never happened to me in any movie like this. Completely blew me away... really did not think it would live up to the hype, but for me it more than surpassed it.

DPStewart
05-15-2015, 09:33 PM
So I watched the Documentary Frank out up here...

Seems they shot this beast on a slew of good old Arri Alexas......and frikkin' 10 Canon 5D's.

Whelp....there you go.

Ashenwraith
05-15-2015, 09:48 PM

Seems they shot this beast on a slew of good old Arri Alexas......and frikkin' 10 Canon 5D's.

Whelp....there you go.

Yeah, despite the fact the director only wanted one camera.

Just shows how much pull he has :P

Definitely would have been more impressive, but seems a bit stingy on a $2 billion budget.

lol I love how he wanted no lights too

innerspark
05-15-2015, 10:20 PM
Saw the movie last night, the look suits the movie. It looked great!

Andrew
05-16-2015, 12:12 AM
OK, just came from the theater and wow! I now understand why this movie has a 98% on rotten tomatoes with over 200 reviews. I get it now, whereas before it didn't make sense. This would not normally be my cup of tea at all.

What originally caught my attention was that a saturated grade was chosen over a gritty desaturated one and the fact that it was shot on Alexa as opposed to RED. I mean, I know these are just cameras, but if ever a movie fit the hardcore RED "image", it would be this. Did you see their booth at NAB this year? Come on...it must sting a little for them that this was shot on Alexa. Skulls and heavy metal are their thing. :cool:

rick.lang
05-16-2015, 12:15 AM
And shot using spherical lenses although the deliverable was 2.4:1 aspect ratio. Shot 16:9 and cropped to get the anamorphic frame.

Bob Loblaw
05-16-2015, 12:20 AM

Whelp....there you go.

And Blackmagics! He even took pause to give extra praise to the Blackmagic cameras. :D He also said that the effects team LOVED the stuff shot on Blackmagic. I wonder which Blackmagic cameras they used?

What originally caught my attention was that a saturated grade was chosen over a gritty desaturated one
Yeah, and I don't think a gritty desaturated look would fit Mad Max at all. Red deserts and blue skies are kind of a staple of the original trilogy. I remember the first few photos released for the film was very desaturated and gritty, and I personally hate the look:

Desaturated apocalypse is just too cliche for modern films I guess. It just isn't Mad Max:

Andrew
05-16-2015, 12:53 AM

Watching this now. Very Interesting. Good find Frank!

Hollywood tends to stop the movie to have an action scene. I get incredibly bored within a minute or two and since it's close to 100% CGI not a lot of wow factor.

I hear you. I find myself kind of tuning out during many action sequences. Didn't happen once during Fury Road. Totally captivating!

But between Gravity, Interstellar and this I can report that I am thoroughly enjoying the big screen experience again. All three left me breathless for different reasons.

Funny. As I exited the theater, Gravity came to mind. Not because the two movies are similar, but because I felt like I just watched something I've never quite seen before after each. Not true of any Marvel movie I've seen.

blommer
05-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Imagery was great, action was great. But what made this movie extraordinary were the characters. Max is not even really the main character. He barely has any lines. The female protagonists are, and they're handled very well in this movie. Not to mention all the weird baddies.

The entire movie is a 2 hour epic car chase through desert wastelands. It's amazing.

Frank Glencairn
05-16-2015, 12:57 AM
Oh boy - I'm really not into this kind of films, but you guys start to make me want to see it.

innerspark
05-16-2015, 03:27 AM
There are clear VFX and CG shots, but also TONS of practical, which is what sold a lot of the mayhem in the movie. It is utterly outrageous virtuoso grindhouse fare. And apparently so many vehicles wrecked during the making. Which makes sense.

Tim Hole
05-16-2015, 08:28 AM

You obviously know very very little about George Miller, but you summation is somewhat correct for a lot of Hollywood directors.

haavard
05-16-2015, 09:20 AM
I think 'no story' might be a bit harsh, here is an article on the script/story:
http://time.com/3850323/mad-max-fury-road-eve-ensler-feminist/

Roman
05-16-2015, 11:43 AM
Watching this now. Very Interesting. Good find Frank!

I hear you. I find myself kind of tuning out during many action sequences. Didn't happen once during Fury Road. Totally captivating!

Funny. As I exited the theater, Gravity came to mind. Not because the two movies are similar, but because I felt like I just watched something I've never quite seen before after each. Not true of any Marvel movie I've seen.

Agreed 100%. Gravity immediately came to mind because of the "experience factor" the movie evoked. You feel like you just lived through something monumental. I'm going to go see it again today.

Mad Max and the general 80's dystopian, grunge / sci fi / exploitative action is not my cup of tea at all... like on paper, this is the furthest thing from my palate. But this was so well done, the pacing so perfect, that I can't help but think this is what people in the 70's thought when seeing Star Wars for the first time. It completely sucks you into a different world and the movie just flies by. Fury Road for me, had all of the edge-of-your-seat, experience-factor of Gravity, but you sit there like you're 12 years old smiling at how glorious it all looks.

This might be the movie of the year as far as theatrical experiences go. It was Fucking awesome.

John Brawley
05-16-2015, 02:19 PM
I wonder which Blackmagic cameras they used?

Mostly 2.5K BMCC's I hear...

JB

Ody
05-16-2015, 02:23 PM
And Blackmagics! He even took pause to give extra praise to the Blackmagic cameras. :D He also said that the effects team LOVED the stuff shot on Blackmagic. I wonder which Blackmagic cameras they used?

Yeah, and I don't think a gritty desaturated look would fit Mad Max at all. Red deserts and blue skies are kind of a staple of the original trilogy. I remember the first few photos released for the film was very desaturated and gritty, and I personally hate the look:

Desaturated apocalypse is just too cliche for modern films I guess. It just isn't Mad Max:

+1
i like the look of the original...

DPStewart
05-16-2015, 03:18 PM
Agreed 100%. Gravity immediately came to mind because of the "experience factor" the movie evoked. You feel like you just lived through something monumental. I'm going to go see it again today.

Mad Max and the general 80's dystopian, grunge / sci fi / exploitative action is not my cup of tea at all... like on paper, this is the furthest thing from my palate. But this was so well done, the pacing so perfect, that I can't help but think this is what people in the 70's thought when seeing Star Wars for the first time. It completely sucks you into a different world and the movie just flies by. Fury Road for me, had all of the edge-of-your-seat, experience-factor of Gravity, but you sit there like you're 12 years old smiling at how glorious it all looks.

This might be the movie of the year as far as theatrical experiences go. It was Fucking awesome.

So you liked it then? I wasn't quite sure from your description. ;-)

Well, y'all have sold me. I'm off to see it tonight!

rick.lang
05-16-2015, 09:38 PM

Well that comment was based on the trailer with explosions and little character development of course. But after looking at the two hour video Frank linked to, I realize there's a lot more to it than 'nothing.' Enjoying this thread.

Andrew
05-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Well that comment was based on the trailer with explosions and little character development of course. But after looking at the two hour video Frank linked to, I realize there's a lot more to it than 'nothing.' Enjoying this thread.

I think that's what's so surprising about the movie, it's actually brilliant! You'd be forgiven for watching the trailer and deciding that you want nothing to do with it.

Roman, glad you sort of kind of liked it man! :D I'm with you though...I don't normally watch movies twice, but I could easily watch this one again. The last movie I saw twice was Gravity in Imax 3d. New cinematic experiences are great! Oh and there was a time or two during the movie that the old Star Wars films came to mind.

The one element I can say I didn't like about the film was the guitar playing dude, but even he's growing on me in a weird comical way. He kind of reminds me of the monster from Pan's Labyrinth.

I'm thinking my favorite character has got to be Nux the war boy. He definitely has some of the best lines.

Has anyone seen it in 3D? For me it was an easy decision to go 2D considering it was shot that way, but after watching the Q&A video and learning it was originally going to be shot 3d, it makes me wonder if it would be worth seeing. Probably not, but I guess it depends on the quality of the conversion and how involved George Miller was if at all. He seems like quite the perfectionist and I could imagine that if he was involved then it was done to a certain level of quality.

blommer
05-17-2015, 12:37 AM
The guitar playing dude was a standout in an already great film! Rallying the troops of the war party!

misterkofa
05-17-2015, 12:47 AM
lol. all these comments are hilarious. if the original was very saturated and this remake was desaturated all you guys would be like... "The remake looks so flat and dead and boring compared to the original."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. But the pretentiousness on here sometimes kills me.

John Brawley
05-17-2015, 01:43 AM
Has anyone seen it in 3D? For me it was an easy decision to go 2D considering it was shot that way, but after watching the Q&A video and learning it was originally going to be shot 3d, it makes me wonder if it would be worth seeing. Probably not, but I guess it depends on the quality of the conversion and how involved George Miller was if at all. He seems like quite the perfectionist and I could imagine that if he was involved then it was done to a certain level of quality.

For a very long long time it was going to be shot 3D.

Miller spent millions of dollars developing specialist 3D camera systems that would be small enough to shoot inside of cars.

They weren't very good, had no DR and had overheating problems. This was all done under the watch of the original DOP of Mad Max 2, Dean Semler.

When Dean left the project and John Seale took over, they quickly dumped the 3D cameras and moved on.

By the way, I've heard they started off using 5Ds but found they were overheating and weren't recording everything up till the point they got destroyed :-)

So they'd loose the last few seconds before the point of impact. Because the BMCC's record individual DNG's they were able to extract more precious frames. Apparently they also used a mix of Olympus PEN cameras too for similar reasons, they were small, and able to record longer till catastrophic failure.

JB

Steve Wake
05-17-2015, 02:20 AM
According to the video linked by Frank, in which John Seale spoke at length, A cam(s) were always Alexas, Olympus was tried and rejected because of lost footage on impact, at which point they switched to 5D's. BM cams were used only in Sydney after location shooting in Namibia was complete - though he did say the VFX people liked working with the BM footage, and had problems with 5D (MkII) footage, in particular banding in skies.

Anyway, the most interesting part of the video to me was around 1:00 to 1:03 where Seale explained Miller's theory about centered composition as a way of maintaining viewer focus during a series of fast cuts. That's the kind of background that will make watching it a lot more enjoyable, and he said that is Miller's real signature on this film's style. The rest is mostly interesting stuff about gear and real filmmaking that is way beyond my wildest ambitions.

John Brawley
05-17-2015, 05:09 AM
Ahh ok, I haven't watched the linked clip with John himself speaking.

I have spoken to many crew that worked on it.

JB

Frank Glencairn
05-17-2015, 06:36 AM
Amazing way to choose a camera:

Production: Soooo - 3D is out of the window, which camera we are using now?

DP: No idea, I don't know nuthing about digital cameras, and actually I don't give a sh..

Some guy in the back: Arri Alexa!

Everybody is nodding

DP: So Alexa it is.

Later...

DP: Hey Mac.. yes you.. DIT-Man - or whatever your job is called, we have to talk...

Steve Wake
05-17-2015, 10:40 AM
But if someone had shouted out "RED!" he probably would have said, "Isn't that made by the sunglasses guy, Jannard?" (That's extrapolating from an actual comment he made in the video). And he clearly knows the ARRI company rep. There were some RED Kool-aid addicts in the audience, though I couldn't hear everything. He did say he'd use ARRI again, and had war stories to back up that preference.

One thing he learned from the DIT-man, was not to blow highlights, even if it meant lowering overall exposure (fix the rest in post). He apparently decided he's too old to learn all the new tricks and turned a lot of the operation over to the younger and more eager AC's.

Interesting that as far as he knew, the final did not use any of the over cranked footage they shot. Lots of under cranked. Sounds like a big adrenaline rush movie, though he claims the story is engaging enough to make a grown man cry.

Joe Giambrone
05-17-2015, 02:22 PM
Crack wise all you want about a guy with decades of film experience. Fury Road looked pretty good, absolutely amazing action. It's the Road Warrior on crack.

Mad Max: Fury Road - My Review (https://jgiambrone.wordpress.com/2015/05/17/mad-max-fury-road-my-review/)

misterkofa
05-19-2015, 10:00 AM
Saw it last night. Amazing film. 3D was a bit much tho. Will go see it again in 2D.

Rayinmotion
05-19-2015, 10:10 AM
There's somewhere online where Miller was really inspired by the look of "The Book of Eli". Everyone will have their own personal opinion on how the film was. For me, this is what action movies have been missing for years, intense edge of the your action, huge practical effect pieces, amazing music/sound design. For me story was not an issue, as this was a meant to be a chase movie that sucked you in for 2 hours.

mr_sour
09-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Another time the BMCC was used.

Source https://twitter.com/refocusedmedia/status/638789611922309120