PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a C100.

analog_addict
05-09-2015, 08:16 AM
I currently own a 60D and Blackmagic Pocket. I have access to a friends BMCC whenever I need it.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a renting a C300 for a corporate job (180) when I suddenly thought about selling my gear and getting a C100. 80% of my jobs are talking heads and corporate stuff. The 60D is nice but the lack of detail in the image has always been a problem. I love my pocket but would never use it on a corporate job and I use my friends BMCC a lot.

My only issue is the internal codec being low on the C100 but I was considering getting the new BM monitor/recorder to bypass it.

Has anyone used a C100 before? I like the idea of making my kit a lot smaller. The fact I have a friend with a BMCC and we can loan our cameras to each other makes it a lot better.

Hearnia
05-09-2015, 10:35 AM
I started on a 7D in 2011 and then I was an original BMCC EF owner. While I adored the image, unfortunately corporate / wedding videos pay the bills for me. I bought a C100 Mark II and I sleep much better at night now. It made my job one thousand times easier. Pick up a ninja or the BMCC monitor/recorder for prores if you are doing heavily graded stuff. You will like the image a lot as long as you stick to c-log.

analog_addict
05-09-2015, 12:08 PM
I started on a 7D in 2011 and then I was an original BMCC EF owner. While I adored the image, unfortunately corporate / wedding videos pay the bills for me. I bought a C100 Mark II and I sleep much better at night now. It made my job one thousand times easier. Pick up a ninja or the BMCC monitor/recorder for prores if you are doing heavily graded stuff. You will like the image a lot as long as you stick to c-log.

Is C-log really needed for corporate stuff? I don't like the idea of having to grade tons of footage for a corporate gig. I just did a corporate job on the BMCC and grading everything was time consuming for something that really just needed to look like good quality video.

How quick is C-log to grade?

Gary Huff
05-09-2015, 06:12 PM
My only issue is the internal codec being low on the C100 but I was considering getting the new BM monitor/recorder to bypass it.

The C100 will not trigger recording on the Video Assist, nor will the recorder remove 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown. So you'll have to press Record on the monitor manually and you'll end up with 60i ProRes files that you'll have to process to remove the pulldown yourself for shooting in both 24p and 30p.

Andrew
05-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Is C-log really needed for corporate stuff? I don't like the idea of having to grade tons of footage for a corporate gig. I just did a corporate job on the BMCC and grading everything was time consuming for something that really just needed to look like good quality video.

How quick is C-log to grade?

I'd say go for it. There's something to be said for the right tool for the job, and it sounds like you've found it. Canon cameras have a great out of camera look with no grading. Especially for corporate type shoots. It can make a world of difference to nail the look in camera and not have to worry about any additional post.

If you can put the C100 to work and your clients are happy with it, then why not.

4saken
05-09-2015, 11:06 PM
I really don't get the argument that it takes longer to grade log footage. It literally takes 5 seconds to slap on a LUT in Premiere, being it a log to rec709 LUT or something more fancy like Impulz. Rendering out the video doesn't take much longer than regular video that already has a look baked in if you have a decent GPU in your workstation that your editing software can utilize.
And I assume you would have to go into Premiere or some other editing program anyway to edit your footage. So why not take those extra 5 seconds to slap on a simple LUT and have a much better looking image than the baked in look you get with a non log image.

analog_addict
05-10-2015, 04:36 AM
Well I've bought a C100 and I'm now selling off my DSLR and Pocket gear.

Having pretty much 24/7 access to my friends BMCC swayed me. I'm certainly not leaving the world of Blackmagic :)

analog_addict
05-10-2015, 04:38 AM
The C100 will not trigger recording on the Video Assist, nor will the recorder remove 3:2 or 2:2 pulldown. So you'll have to press Record on the monitor manually and you'll end up with 60i ProRes files that you'll have to process to remove the pulldown yourself for shooting in both 24p and 30p.

Is this the same case with the Atmos Ninja? I've seen a few articles claiming the footage from the Ninja is near C300 quality. Not triggering recording is fine but not removing the pulldown is an issue. Is this the same case with the Ninja?

Hearnia
05-10-2015, 07:28 AM
No, the ninja automatically records when you hit record on the c100. It works great and I use my old BMCC SSD drives in it.

Clog is not as flat as BMCC film. It's easy to grade. I always shoot it in it because the highlight rolloff and DR is not nearly as good in the other picture styles. It's the best image out of the camera you can get. I would shoot in Wide DR if I was handing off footage to a client or to a non-grader.

Here's a wedding I shot on the C100 MII: https://vimeo.com/124542801

The end product came out WAY better than my previous wedding videos not because of the total image quality but because of the usability of the camera, especially the dual pixel auto focus. The reception scenes were shot at ISO 3200-6400 on the sigma 18-35 at 1.8 and it's virtually noise-free.

Hearnia
05-10-2015, 08:13 AM
Also, if you're worried about the cinema capabilities go check out Blue is the Warmest Color. Shot on C300. Of course they were probably using Angenieux lenses hehe.

rick.lang
05-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Lovely wedding video!

Gary Huff
05-10-2015, 11:48 AM
Is this the same case with the Atmos Ninja? I've seen a few articles claiming the footage from the Ninja is near C300 quality. Not triggering recording is fine but not removing the pulldown is an issue. Is this the same case with the Ninja?

The Atomos recording (in ProRes HQ at least) is actually better than C300 quality with the C100. The C300 is 8-bit 4:2:2 MPEG-2 at 50Mbps. ProRes is a 10-bit container in 4:2:2 and up to 220Mbps.

And the Ninja products (currently use a Star with the C100 Mark II) have all perfectly removed pulldown for both 24p and 30p.

blommer
05-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Here's a wedding I shot on the C100 MII: https://vimeo.com/124542801

Nice, that looks really good! How many cameras were you running?

Hearnia
05-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks. I used additionally a 7D and GoPro on the ceremony. I still don't do that many weddings but if I was doing a lot I'd look at getting the new canon XC10 actually. Easy for non-trained people to focus, can match C100 color etc. Set it and forget it.

analog_addict
05-11-2015, 09:16 AM
The Atomos recording (in ProRes HQ at least) is actually better than C300 quality with the C100. The C300 is 8-bit 4:2:2 MPEG-2 at 50Mbps. ProRes is a 10-bit container in 4:2:2 and up to 220Mbps.

And the Ninja products (currently use a Star with the C100 Mark II) have all perfectly removed pulldown for both 24p and 30p.

Very interesting. Looks like an Atomos product is on my 'to buy' list. Is the C100 HDMI output definitely 10bit 4:2:2? I did read a few people saying this was just a presumption.

C100 is arriving tomorrow. Excited!

EDIT: It arrived! First paid gig tomorrow with it. Updated the firmware. Using the WDR profile. I'm very impressed with how good the image is considering it's compressed 8bit. Kind of reminds me of my old hacked GH2 footage but with much nicer colour, DR and highlight roll off.