PDA

View Full Version : A Prime Lens with a non-fixed zoom OR A Fixed Zoom lens

khalsbaai
04-28-2015, 03:16 AM
Hey guys,

i still studying film making hoping i can start making some short movies and documentary stuff soon , so i picked up the GH3 and the BMPCC with the Rokinon 12mm f2.0 ( not the cin ) , now i'm looking for a zoom lens that can help me cover a wide range and gives a good quality and I'm getting kind of overwhelmed with the amount of options so I'm here looking for suggestions.

my question is :

1- should i keep the Rokinon and get on of those ( and which one you recommend ? )
- Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 14-42mm / F3.5-5.6 II ASPH. / MEGA O.I.S ( 165$)
- Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ ( 345$)
- Olympus 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Ver. II R, Interchangeable Lens (300$)

2- or i should sell my Rokinon 12mm f2.0 and get the Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 12-35mm/F2.8 ( if it will be enough ! )
i wish i could have the chance to try any of those lenses or the money to have a lot of lenses in my kit but in my country i can't put my hand on any of them and i'm on a budget :)

I appreciate any help you guys might offer, I'm totally lost.
Thanks.

Egg Born Son
04-28-2015, 06:57 AM
I'm getting old. That large font was so easy to read.

I haven't used any of those choices since I usually go for vintage zooms, use a speedbooster and full frame lenses. But many do and I don't think you'll go too far wrong with any of them.

Just on the numbers I would be picking the 12-35/f2.8.

Why? Firstly because it has a constant aperture zoom.

This means your chosen f stop will not change through the entire zoom range giving you more control over your image and exposure. It also means you will be able to access f2.8 at any focal length which will help in darker rooms and to achieve deeper bokeh (out of focus blur).

Secondly on the BMPCC the crop factor is 2.88x. This means that your field of view will be the equivalent of a 35-100mm lens on a full frame 35mm camera. This gives you a wide at 12mm and a short tele at 35mm. At 14mm you will have a 40mm equivalent. That's almost a normal, you won't be able to go very wide or get good coverage in small locations. With smaller sensors you want every mm counts in getting your wide angle. At the tele end you have access to good focal lengths for headshots. Long enough to flatter the talent but not quite long enough to compress space and other choices you will be wanting to make later. It will be enough to get you started.