PDA

View Full Version : Shutter Speed and WB adjustment pain

shijan
04-30-2012, 01:18 AM
Hello! I just worry about those touchscreen buttons. For example it looks like very uncomfortable to adjust shutter speed or WB parameters and unable to see a picture same time. I believe it will be a real pain to turn menu every time back-to-back for that. John can you please tell us your experience about this? As for me it looks like big miscalculation to put in front playback transport buttons for remaining about Blackmagic recorders instead of put there exposure/iso/wb buttons

John Brawley
04-30-2012, 09:15 AM
BMD are aware that this is an issue. They are planning to look at a way of allowing you to adjust these important parameters without blanking the screen. It might be reprogramming the playback buttons, it might be touching different areas of the screen, or simply turning the image back on when you go into one of those menus....

jb

bumkicho
04-30-2012, 10:01 AM
If BMD can come out with add-on monitor (hd-sdi) under $500, so they can simply free menu screen and solve difficult angle shoots, that would be super.

PaPa
04-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Or perhaps simplifying it by having the menu be simply an overlay over the video image and giving the user the option to adjust the opacity of the menu overlay. Also adding a button on the side of the screen that if held, hides the menu until the button is released.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-30-2012, 10:45 AM
BMD are aware that this is an issue. They are planning to look at a way of allowing you to adjust these important parameters without blanking the screen. It might be reprogramming the playback buttons, it might be touching different areas of the screen, or simply turning the image back on when you go into one of those menus.... jb

Looking forward to seeing what BmD comes up with. UI design is incredibly tricky. I appreciate that BmD tries to keep the UI simple.

There are so many possibilities!

For example, I believe in the current UI (please correct me if I've got this wrong) pressing IRIS once causes zebras to be superimposed over the video on the LCD, and subsequently pressing the forward & reverse transport buttons adjusts an EF lens with an electronic interface to open or close its iris.

A possible way to handle menu items listed in the BMCC's full-screen menus might be to have the menu button not display the full menu when first pressed. Instead have it display (in translucent text) only the most recently used menu item & its setting value at the bottom of the LCD. That way you could continue to adjust that parameter without obscuring much of the screen. Two quick presses on the menu button might bring up the full menu.

But as I said, there are so many ways the UI might be done. The hard part is designing a UI that is both simple, obvious and unobtrusive. Will be interesting to see it unfold ...

Cheers.

electricpig
04-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Why does the menu have to come up on opaque grey background? why not just an text/icon overlay on top of the live image, no grey background?

Cheezweezl
04-30-2012, 01:31 PM
what would be cool and i think easy would be to display the menu as normal, but reduce it to a simple small display when actually making the adjustment. for example, on my tv. when i go into menu mode, it kills the image. but when i go to adjust brightness or contrast, the menu goes away and the image returns, with only a small display at the bottom showing me where i am taking it. if we were left with a numerical display and the histogram or waveform (hint hint), then we could accurately adjust without going back and forth.

that said, some shortcuts to do it on the fly would help a lot. at least for shutter, wb, and iso.

mbeck
04-30-2012, 01:45 PM
While I am sure there will be many things that they fix after the camera is released, t they will have the UI at least functional before it ships. More important than seeing the image would be seeing a histogram while adjusting exposure options!

Kenneth Fisher
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Why does the menu have to come up on opaque grey background? why not just an text/icon overlay on top of the live image, no grey background?

It may not work depending on what the image on the screen is. If the icons and text are white, and you are shooting a very bright image, they will be hard to see. Same with dark colored icons and a dark image.