PDA

View Full Version : MFT to EF Mount reverse adapter?

egproductions
10-03-2012, 07:30 AM
I believe I know the answer but need some confirmation before going the MFT route. Are there any adapters on the market that allow MFT lenses to be mounted to an EF mount? My assumption would be that this would be a waste of time to produce in a normal situation since MFT wouldn't cover the sensor of a camera that has an EF mount (with BMC being the exception)

Nomad
10-03-2012, 08:12 AM
That's not the only reason they don't exist: the flange distance of MFT is that much shorter, you would need an optical element to make this possible. It would be expensive and quality would suffer.

Simpy forget it!

egproductions
10-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Never!

Yes, forgot about flange distance...one of those mornings.

One thing I love about DSLRs is that I shoot just as much still photography as I do video so I just needed one or two cameras and could share lenses. Like many others, I want the great MFT glass available but also want the option to use some of my EF glass without an adapter that will degrade image quality.

rheex
10-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm not sure I understand. How can the image quality be degraded when there's no physical element between the sensor and the lens' glass? Distance? Is that a degrading factor?
I ask because I have a set of Contax Zeiss and Leica R lenses and I have already bought adapters for my future MFT. The adapters are a bit longer but add no layer in between...

Barry Green
10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Adapting a longer mount lens to a shorter mount (i.e., Leica R to MFT) is extremely easy and involves no optics.

Going the other way (adapting a shorter mount lens to a longer lens mount) is impossible, unless you put in some sort of image-degrading optical element in the adapter.

rheex
10-03-2012, 01:29 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks Barry.

egproductions
10-03-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure I understand. How can the image quality be degraded when there's no physical element between the sensor and the lens' glass? Distance? Is that a degrading factor?
I ask because I have a set of Contax Zeiss and Leica R lenses and I have already bought adapters for my future MFT. The adapters are a bit longer but add no layer in between...

I was referring to the EF to MFT adapters that have built in apertures to overcome the issue of electronic apertures in EF lenses.