PDA

View Full Version : B&W for firmware upgrade

froess
04-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Hello,

Anyone out there who wants a B&W "picture profile" for the bmd cameras?

I'm currently on pre-production of a video and we are going B&W and would love to have this feature on the camera.

At least, instead of video mode for monitoring, we could have a B&W monitoring and record in color...

scorsesefan
04-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Would be good. Monitoring in B & W is good anyway for exposure and contrast.

vicharris
04-06-2015, 11:12 PM
I'd say you're in the .5% here. Get a monitor situation with LUT capability or buy a different camera. BM has more important things to worry about honestly. First time I've seen this mentioned in 2 years. Many of us are starting to get really picky on this firmware upgrade crap I see with a new thread every couple weeks. it's getting tiresome.

froess
04-07-2015, 04:45 AM
Hello Vic, I knew someone would give an answer like this. It may sound picky to you but to me it helps. I don't have a monitor at the moment so that's why i'm asking for this. Doesn't soud that complicated and it's not a bad feature.

gmfb
04-07-2015, 07:55 AM
Actually I would like to have a B/W-feature as well since I recently started taking b/w photos with my Fuji XE1's b/w-mode.

And Vic, I guess, this feature is less troublesome to realize and therefore asking for it is less of a PITA than the infinetly repeated "can we have 240fps".

xdev
04-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Actually I would like to have a B/W-feature as well since I recently started taking b/w photos with my Fuji XE1's b/w-mode.

And Vic, I guess, this feature is less troublesome to realize and therefore asking for it is less of a PITA than the infinetly repeated "can we have 240fps".

Yes but can we have at least 60 fps? :)) ( just a joke )

I think this feature is not that hard to implement...though as vicharris said, I don't think there are many of us who really need BW monitoring so BMD makes changes to the firmware based on features that the majority of users need...not just a few.
....internal LUT capability on the other hand would be a game changer :) Theoretically it could be possible, I just don't know if the hardware is not at its limit already with all going on right now.

misterkofa
04-07-2015, 11:47 AM
I'm with Vic on this one. It's like everyday now you have someone whining about some (shouldn't be hard to implement) feature they want or one that was on their canon dslr or something. And to that the answer is simple: BUY a camera that has the features you want.

Nothing wrong with posting/asking whatever you want. Annoying tho. I guess this is what happens when you sell cameras cheap.

Adam J McKay
04-07-2015, 01:29 PM
While I am with Vic in some ways, I too think this would be a useful feature. I am actually shooting a black and white project and don't have my external monitor yet so it is a bit of a pain, as lighting for bnw is different, or at least should be, than color.

froess
04-07-2015, 04:28 PM
I was trying to see if it's useful for other people aswell. I know it would be great for me but I'm not begging for it as you imply. It would be a cool extra, that's all.

Denny Smith
04-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Previously, all ENG camera monitors were B&W, many still have,that option, as it is easier to judge lighting contrast ratios critical focus in B&W, when EVF was setup with Color Bar signal, to set up co,or monitors with color bar you either need to select B&W or Blue channel only, then you can match monitors to EVF also. I still prefer to use B&W monitor option on my EVF when shooting.

KKeller
04-23-2015, 05:02 PM
I think the valid request that would give you what you want and others want would be to ability to load custom LUTs in camera, which is a more reasonable request with a higher desirability.

AndyJarosz
04-30-2015, 04:11 PM
+1 for LUT support...I wanna shoot with M31 loaded :)

Tim Hole
06-03-2015, 08:54 PM
To be a true monochrome it would have to be hardware modified, and would only be able to shoot monochrome images. The last thing BMD want to do is to start producing cameras with more in-camera processing when the much more flexible approach is to do it in post. There are utilities like Cliptoolz Monocle which process the raw image for black and white, but the resolution loss for anything under 4K at least, makes it pretty much impractical.