PDA

View Full Version : 12mm Noktor question.

Gwangjuboy
10-02-2012, 08:21 AM
It seems like you can buy either the standard 12mm Noktor or a version with '58/77 ring'

So what does that mean having a 58/77 ring. The version is a little more expensive so am wondering if I need it or not?

RaphaelWood
10-02-2012, 08:42 AM
The "58/77 ring" is an adapter that changes the filter thread size from 58mm to 77mm. I'm guessing you pay more for that adapter ring.

"Filter Mount: internal thread for SLR Magic 58/77 RING (optional) lens hood for 77mm filter; filter mount does not rotate."
http://www.43rumors.com/slrmagic-hyperprime-12mm-f1-6-lens-officially-announced-bye-bye-noktor/

Gwangjuboy
10-02-2012, 10:02 AM
What's better about having a 77mm filter ring over a 58mm one?

Matthew Sonnenfeld
10-02-2012, 10:34 AM
77 ring is much more universal. Most Canon L will take 77, as will the Tokina 11-16, and many other popular lenses. It is in my opinion, the most standard screw in filter size there is. It's also large enough that anything smaller, you can just get a step up ring. But if you have 58mm filters, then they will only work on your smaller lenses.

Kholi
10-02-2012, 02:03 PM
The 58/77 ring is a solid addition to the lens. Generally, adapters are cheap feeling and bend easily, this one at least feels like it's sturdy, and matches the lens.

I've got the 12/1.6 With the lens gear and the 58-77 ring. Recommended.

http://www.campcomet.com/stills/SLRMagic1216.jpg

Simon Shasha
10-02-2012, 03:23 PM
All my ND filters are designed for 82mm thread - if I bought the SLR Magic 12mm T1.6 and used a 58 to 82mm step-up-ring (which I own), will I have vignetting?

Kholi
10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
All my ND filters are designed for 82mm thread - if I bought the SLR Magic 12mm T1.6 and used a 58 to 82mm step-up-ring (which I own), will I have vignetting?

It shouldn't vignette at all above 72mm. However, stacking TOO many filters might get you there.

Simon Shasha
10-02-2012, 04:05 PM
It shouldn't vignette at all above 72mm. However, stacking TOO many filters might get you there.

Cool, thanks for the reply! :)

How many would you say is "too many" - I don't plan on using more than two ND's at a time.

Kholi
10-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Cool, thanks for the reply! :)

How many would you say is "too many" - I don't plan on using more than two ND's at a time.

Beyond three's too many, IMO. Three's actually pushing it.

Buy heavy ND, that way you only stack one ND and one other filter for what you need, likely either a Polarizer or an effects (black, soft, haze, grad, etc).

Simon Shasha
10-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Beyond three's too many, IMO. Three's actually pushing it.

Buy heavy ND, that way you only stack one ND and one other filter for what you need, likely either a Polarizer or an effects (black, soft, haze, grad, etc).

Thanks for the advice, Kholi, much appreciated! I plan on using a 1.2 (or 1.8) ND/IR filter (something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/807746-REG/Tiffen_W82IRND12_82mm_Solid_Neutral_Density.html), then stacking either my 0.6, 0.9 or 1.2 if I need more ND.

Kholi
10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the advice, Kholi, much appreciated! I plan on using a 1.2 (or 1.8) ND/IR filter (something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/807746-REG/Tiffen_W82IRND12_82mm_Solid_Neutral_Density.html), then stacking either my 0.6, 0.9 or 1.2 if I need more ND.

Buy a 9 IR, 1.2 IR, 1.5 IR, 1.8 IR, 2.1 IR and you should never need to stack two filters just for ND.

1.2 ~ 1.8 will take care of any wide open shooting you want to do, 2.1 is just good measure if you're trying to 0.95 wide open lol

Simon Shasha
10-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Buy a 9 IR, 1.2 IR, 1.5 IR, 1.8 IR, 2.1 IR and you should never need to stack two filters just for ND.

1.2 ~ 1.8 will take care of any wide open shooting you want to do, 2.1 is just good measure if you're trying to 0.95 wide open lol

I don't know if I could afford a kit like that right now. Perhaps I should just get a 2.1 ND+IR for now (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/807811-REG/Tiffen_W82IRND21_82mm_Solid_Neutral_Density.html) - considering that the camera will be kept at ISO800 and lens at F2.8 - F4 (for day shots).

RyGuy
10-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't know if I could afford a kit like that right now. Perhaps I should just get a 2.1 ND+IR for now (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/807811-REG/Tiffen_W82IRND21_82mm_Solid_Neutral_Density.html) - considering that the camera will be kept at ISO800 and lens at F2.8 - F4 (for day shots).

Shooting wide open in bright daylight is a completely stylistic aprroach and there is nothing wrong with it. However I would like to point out that Roger Deakins believes in closing down for open daylight. He says that it mimics the eye, and that our eyes naturally close down in sunlight. He goes between f8 and f16 if i remember correctly. Now with the smaller sensor you'll need to adjust accordingly to get the same DoF, but he doens't go as shallow as you'd think. Just some food for thought and maybe save you a little green/options.

Simon Shasha
10-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Shooting wide open in bright daylight is a completely stylistic aprroach and there is nothing wrong with it. However I would like to point out that Roger Deakins believes in closing down for open daylight. He says that it mimics the eye, and that our eyes naturally close down in sunlight. He goes between f8 and f16 if i remember correctly. Now with the smaller sensor you'll need to adjust accordingly to get the same DoF, but he doens't go as shallow as you'd think. Just some food for thought and maybe save you a little green/options.

Wow, that's really interesting! I'm not too big on shallow depth of field to be honest. I usually shoot my day shots between F4 - F5.6. I really like Deakins' ideology behind day shots - I'd love to do a few tests and see how F8 footage looks.

Gwangjuboy
10-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Is the ring adapter fixed to the lens or removable?

RyGuy
10-03-2012, 05:24 AM

I just realized I made no mention of focal length and may be misleading. I can't seam to find his thread about it, and I do not know what focal length, if any, he was talking about, which could change the DoF in a way obviously. But in any case something to remember.

zwarte_kat
10-04-2012, 02:08 AM
I had the exact same question. It is always a good idea to simply ask the company itself :)
I quote the reply:

"The lens itself costs US$ 549.00
Due to wide angle lens, if you will use filter, you need to use at least 77mm filter.
We have a SLR Magic 58-77 step up ring specially designed for our lens with a thinner inner diameter to avoid vignette.

If you do not use filter, you can just order the lens for US$ 549.00
If you will use filter for this lens, firstly you must use at least 77mm filter. Further, you can consider to order the lens with the step-up ring, with total cost of US$ 599.00
We have volunteers reporting to us that the front ring in green will reflect on the ND filter. So if you consider to use filter, we suggest that you choose front ring in Black.

We have also developed an optional lens gear for this lens. If you will use follow focus, this SLR Magic lens gear (in metal), will cost US$ 50.00 when you order with the lens. It is not updated onto our website yet. If this is required, pls email back to us with your day time mailing address and day time contact phone number, and we will issue Paypal Request to you including the lens, and/or the step-up ring."

$50 for a step up ring seems expensive. Maybe users of this lens can confirm that a regular step up ring really vignettes that badly?

I will ask them for further info about the focus ring, which seems interesting.

Good luck!

daveswan
10-04-2012, 02:53 AM
I would be wary of stopping down beyond f/8 on a relativly (To 135 format) small sensor due to diffraction setting in.

mintcheerios
10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I just realized I made no mention of focal length and may be misleading. I can't seam to find his thread about it, and I do not know what focal length, if any, he was talking about, which could change the DoF in a way obviously. But in any case something to remember.

http://www.rogerdeakins.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1685

He doesn't mention focal lengths in that thread, but he generally shoots on the wide side. I was watching Shawshank and realized how in focus his closeups can be in sunny daylight. Just look at the scene when Andy is about to be pushed off the roof (though that was probably to enhance the sense of danger in that scene).

Lorenzo Straight
10-07-2012, 03:03 PM
Getting ready to buy this lens in a few days. I'm just concerned about the reviews I've read concerning the lens assembly (glue to keep the mount on) and quality control where it's made. Anyone else hesitant after reading about these issues?

daveswan
10-07-2012, 03:08 PM
There are glues and there are glues.

Some of the latest industrial adhesives are stronger than the metal around them.

Can you give a link to the reviews that worry you?

Lorenzo Straight
10-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Check out some of the comments here. I'll find the other reviews shortly.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/11/10/slrmagic12_1p6

RobertJ
10-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Don't know if this has been posted before, but I found a review/comparison of the 12mm 1.6 vs. the Olympus 12mm f/2: http://kanauru.net/blog/?p=126

It looks like the Olympus is superior in terms of sharpness and distortion (at f/2), way sharper in the corners, and in terms of chromatic abberations and flaring. The Noktor is still a "cinematic" looking lens, and cheaper.

If you mount the Olympus on the BMC, you can't change the aperture, but can you manual focus without any electronics? Anyone know?

Jason M.
10-08-2012, 01:47 AM
Check out some of the comments here. I'll find the other reviews shortly.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/11/10/slrmagic12_1p6

A lot of the most negative comments about SLR Magic that I've seen (about the Locktite, etc) seem to be more FUD than anything else, raised by people who had an issue with a prototype lens, and while it was clearly handled poorly from a PR standpoint by SLR Magic, I don't see anything to indicate that the company acted in bad faith; rather, they were over ambitious with a difficult lens design, and released a prototype before they managed to work out the kinks, and had issues easily refunding deposits, since the deposits were made thru Paypal. That said, none of this is an issue with the 12mm lens. The only real criticism of it that I've seen is that it flares a fair amount while shooting wide open, and isn't quite as sharp in the corners as the Olympus.

I also know a number of people who are skeptical of SLR Magic either because of a) they're Chinese, b) they got their start rebadging toy lenses and CCTV lenses, or c) they have a somewhat silly name. Hopefully they learn from the PR disaster with the prototype 50/0.95 lenses, because from everything else I've seen, they're ambitious and quite talented, and willing to listen to the community. All very good signs.

EDIT: Can't manual focus the Olympus without electrics. It's focus by wire.

Lorenzo Straight
10-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Thanks, Jason. Flaring is not a big issue, of course. Just wanted to know if they worked out the bad assembly rumors.

Gwangjuboy
10-08-2012, 04:07 AM
All people have to do it search Vimeo for the lens to realize for the price and yes flaws it's quite as the name suggests a magical lens. Probably the most film like footage I've seen from GH2 was with this lens, so an very excited to see what it looks like on the BMC.

slrmagic
10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
@Jason M.

Thanks for the fair comments. For those who what to know more about the assembly issue can see what Steve Huff has posted as well as what Judd Weiss (Comment number 67) has posted in the comments here: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/02/04/the-slr-magic-hyperprime-50-lm-t0-95-leica-mount-lens-rolling-review/

PR is definitely not our strength as we are a small company and do not have budget for a PR department. The people who had problems had to make false accusations against us to make sure they get a refund after two and a half months with the lens as their Dealer and Used camera store called them their Noctilux 50mm and Summilux 50mm arrived. Another website admin from leicaliker.com also helped spread the false rumours around in forums saying she saw first hand Todd Hatakeyama's lens had a loose ring when Todd said it never happened. In fact, it was that same person who has dropped a prototype lens in front of a whole workshop group and the lens was used for the rest of the week with no issues but a dent. She failed to mention her true experience and spread false accusations since she is a Leica Liker only. We are better at spending time designing and manufacturing lenses than dealing with false accusations on the web such as this. We thought of leaving the individuals alone till it came to a point the rumors kept getting worse and worse and even people start to say our 12mm is falling apart when nothing is wrong in the first place. We are very upset about this incident when we have devoted so much time and effort in our lenses. We are just trying to provide more options for the market.

We learnt from that experience and no longer invite inexperienced lens testers from a photography workshop that would blame us for focus accuracy and having mechanical failures just to get money back when they are done playing with the lens after months of use. We have never had such issues with our mirrorless lens customers and therefore we will concentrate back on lenses for mirrorless cameras. As Steve Huff said the issue is mainly due to some who believes in "It’s only Leica for my M".

As for video samples, you can find many on vimeo.

-Andrew

Kholi
10-08-2012, 03:23 PM
So far, having been getting familiar with the 12/1.6, everything negative I've read about it seems way off base, right down to the two accuasations of the filter ring being cheap and overpriced and the focus gear being something weird like a clock gear?

Seriously...

It's a bit of a gamble on the web, sometimes we post stuff without knowing the full story (I've done it before) and then some people post stuff with no intention of ever reiterating the true story. I know of at least two pretty popular bloggers that can barely figure out how to turn on a new camera, yet they're one of the authorities on this stuff.

Rather hear from the community than bloggers these days.

Anyway, I'll take some photos of the front step up ring from SLR magic versus a Tiffen one. Night and day, no reflections, no chipping paint, finish is great and it matches the glass.

slrmagic
10-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Actually the last time we had the problem was from the community making false accusations coupled by a few bloggers that were not willing to cross check on the facts. It was like Arthur Millers, Crucible, and SLR Magic was the victim of the mass hysteria that originated from a few false accusations.

Cde.
10-08-2012, 04:02 PM
I believe the SLR Magic 12mm actually features less optical distortion than the Olympus, but the Oly is software corrected.

slrmagic
10-08-2012, 04:23 PM
I believe the SLR Magic 12mm actually features less optical distortion than the Olympus, but the Oly is software corrected.

The HyperPrime features optical distortion correction only as it features a passive mFT mount that does not support any digital correction.

Nomad
10-11-2012, 02:20 AM
The Oly is not software corrected on a Panny. They are still competitors…

But the Oly is fantastic for a 12mm on my GH2. I doubt the SLR magic to be as 'clinical' as the Oly on architecture and landscape, but it will have more 'character' in close ups of people.

Horses for courses…

Justyn
11-06-2012, 11:36 PM
I can tell you that the SLRmagic 12mm is simply AWESOME. Find everything to be so great about this camera. It's been such a workhorse of a lens for me, especially when on my steadicam stuff. The flare is there, but I like it. The narrow DOF and Macro wide is simply AWESOME>

Andrew is also really great. Courteous, detailed and very professional. I can't wait to buy the anamorphic lenses and the 35mm and the 23mm. ALSO>... How do I buy the lens gear adapter for the 12mm? I bought that when it first camer out last December.

Thanks

Justyn

Ryan McCarvill
11-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Hey SLR Magic,

I've ordered a 12mm hyperprime from Adorama so that I can grab it when I'm in the states next, unfortunately they didn't offer the gearing or step up ring. Can I order those separately directly from you (hopefully with your 23 and 35mm when they are released early next year) and get them sent to New Zealand?

Joe Giambrone
11-07-2012, 05:59 PM
I saw a rave review (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/10/20/the-slr-magic-12mm-f1-6-hyperprime-lens-review-for-micro-43-by-steve-huff/) about this SLR 12mm, but checked out the full rez still (http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/fullsizef21.jpg) and the CA was unacceptable. Magenta fringing and it was in the center area too, but really drastic at the edges. Not sure how it would be cropped on a BMC.

Kholi
11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
I've been using the lens for a month or so now, off and on, and the CA is pretty negligent when shooting video. I highly doubt it'll be an issue for the sub M4/3 sensor in this camera.

It is a bit soft wide open (as any lens typically is) but by 2.8 it's plenty sharp etc.

Ryan McCarvill
11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm looking at Matte Boxes for the BMCC and I'm wondering if it will vignette with a 4x4 filter holder? That's around 100mm wide and SLR Magic has said that the 72mm is the Vignette limit, of course their is the matte box on top of that.

Ryan McCarvill
11-20-2012, 03:43 PM
So my lens arrived, and i've noticed that it has a little bit of wiggle when mounted, I know that this was an issue with early batches however Its only a mm or so and I'm thinking that if the focus ring wasn't so stiff I wouldn't notice it, was the problem with the first batch very pronounced?

Philosokilla
11-25-2012, 07:08 PM
For those of you who ordered from the slrmagic.com website and had your lens shipped to the USA from Hong Kong, how was the import export tax? Did the $599 cost of the 12mm go up dramatically or just stay the same? I noticed it said responsibility for the import export tax would range anywhere from 7-40% on their site.

jdwyer
11-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey SLR Magic,

I've ordered a 12mm hyperprime from Adorama so that I can grab it when I'm in the states next, unfortunately they didn't offer the gearing or step up ring. Can I order those separately directly from you (hopefully with your 23 and 35mm when they are released early next year) and get them sent to New Zealand?

I have sent SLR Magic messages on here and email to their support and sales addresses regarding I want to buy the focus gear for my 12mm and no response. I never thought the customer would have to do the chasing in this economy lol If anyone knows where I can buy the focus gear for the 12mm please let me know. Thanks!

Philosokilla
11-26-2012, 08:28 AM
Yes I just sent an email about the same thing last night and received a response from them this morning. Try contacting them at support@slrmagic.com

jdwyer
11-26-2012, 08:38 AM
Yes I just sent an email about the same thing last night and received a response from them this morning. Try contacting them at support@slrmagic.com

Thanks. Yeah I sent an email to that address before will send another. Did they happen to mention anything about where to buy it and cost etc?

Thanks

Philosokilla
11-26-2012, 08:48 AM
It is an additional $50 for the gear. The option to add the gear hasn't been implemented in the website yet so you have to request it through email to them and they will then send you back a PayPal request with the optional gear factored in.

jdwyer
11-26-2012, 08:56 AM
It is an additional $50 for the gear. The option to add the gear hasn't been implemented in the website yet so you have to request it through email to them and they will then send you back a PayPal request with the optional gear factored in.

Thanks Very Much!

Kholi
11-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Grab the gear, guys! And the 77mm adapter if you can. Makes the lens feel and look solid, and you're gonna be usin' it a lot I wager. =D

Perfect speed and width to cover super tiny spaces, and looks great in general.

jeelz
12-11-2013, 03:38 PM
I just picked up the redesigned 12mm T1.6 and immediately had to send my pocket cam to BM to get its mount adjusted because when I attached the lens, it ground off little pieces of metal into the sensor area D:

I played with the lens briefly before taking it off and cleaning out the metal shards (no scratches, luckily..!). It feels pretty solid and the focus/aperture rings move nicely. I also love the super-close minimum focal distance and the barely-there distortion. Weirdly, the smallest aperture on the ring is T11, but they have DOF marks for T16, and the literature claims it closes down to T22.

I'm hoping I get my BMCC back in time to do some more testing before the return window ends, but meanwhile I've got two concerns I'm hoping folks more familiar with the lens could clear up for me:

1) There's a small piece of black debris in the lens. I don't think it ever moves around and it doesn't seem to affect the picture on the BMPCC. Is this normal or acceptable in a lens that's not a Cooke or a Zeiss Superspeed or something like that? Or should I worry that it might shift into view at some point?

2) I'd heard that the lens is soft wide open, but it looks like I'm shooting through a white ProMist filter at T1.6! Is this normal? The sharpness gets wayyyy better at T2 and maybe slightly better at 2.8. I'm not a huge sharpness geek, but I wasn't expecting it to be so *diffused* looking at 1.6. Does this jive with anyone's experience?

Thanks!

vicharris
12-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Mine was tight but no that tight. Pretty much the same as the 25mm .95

As for the softness, yep, it's soft there but like you said, it get's better fast. If you've ever shot with say the Voight 17.5 wide open, it's pretty damn soft too. It starts getting good enough for production work by 2 or 2.8 I'd say as well.

misterkofa
12-11-2013, 05:03 PM
If it's (SLR magic 12mm) so soft till you tit 2.8. is it worth getting over the tokina 11-16 2.8?

vicharris
12-11-2013, 05:33 PM
The Tokina is worse edge to edge. I tested both along with the Rokinon 16mm at 4 and 5.6. Tokina came in last. I didn't test them at 2.8 but I can only image the Tokina get's worse and the Rokinon would really pull ahead. Not sure if the speedbooster helps the Tokina though. It might.

Also they are two completely different lenses. Ones clinical, one has character. I'm keeping all just for that reason.

misterkofa
12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
The Tokina is worse edge to edge. I tested both along with the Rokinon 16mm at 4 and 5.6. Tokina came in last. I didn't test them at 2.8 but I can only image the Tokina get's worse and the Rokinon would really pull ahead. Not sure if the speedbooster helps the Tokina though. It might.

Also they are two completely different lenses. Ones clinical, one has character. I'm keeping all just for that reason.

My thoughts exactly when looking at the two. The SLR has a certain (art) look to it which is why I'm leaning towards it. Plus the fact I won't need my adapter when it's on my bmpcc.

jeelz
12-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Any opinions on the debris in the lens body?

vicharris
12-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Do you have a pic of it? Might just be something trapped in there from assembly. Happens from time to time in glass. Not fun but it happens.

jeelz
12-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Here's the little bugger:

misterkofa
12-14-2013, 01:43 PM
The 58/77 ring is a solid addition to the lens. Generally, adapters are cheap feeling and bend easily, this one at least feels like it's sturdy, and matches the lens.

I've got the 12/1.6 With the lens gear and the 58-77 ring. Recommended.

http://www.campcomet.com/stills/SLRMagic1216.jpg

Just picked this lens up via craigslist. Is the 58-77mm just a simple step up ring? Or one specific to this lens?

Nomad
12-14-2013, 02:54 PM
It's needed for this lens to allow full focus range with a filter screwed in.

misterkofa
12-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks. but do I have to get the one specifically from noktor or any 58 to 77mm will do?

vicharris
12-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Here's the little bugger:

Yikes. Get ahold of SLR. That needs to go back to remove it for sure.

vicharris
12-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks. but do I have to get the one specifically from noktor or any 58 to 77mm will do?

Are you using it on BM cameras or anything else?

vicharris
12-14-2013, 03:33 PM
It's needed for this lens to allow full focus range with a filter screwed in.

Not this lens. Think you might be thinking of the 25mm where there's movement in the lens hood. Nothing moves up there on this lens, it's all behind. The reason SLR made their own ring for the 12mm was due to vignetting. One most 3rd part rings you would just catch the edge in the corners. Theirs is tapered or beveled to prevent this. On the pocket you don't need to worry because the crop factor is so extreme. Same on the MKII.

misterkofa
12-14-2013, 04:37 PM
Not this lens. Think you might be thinking of the 25mm where there's movement in the lens hood. Nothing moves up there on this lens, it's all behind. The reason SLR made their own ring for the 12mm was due to vignetting. One most 3rd part rings you would just catch the edge in the corners. Theirs is tapered or beveled to prevent this. On the pocket you don't need to worry because the crop factor is so extreme. Same on the MKII.

Using it on the pocket. Just threw a 58mm filter on it and there's NO vignetting. Guess it'll be fine without it. May still get the lens gear tho but for now really liking this lens.

vicharris
12-14-2013, 04:45 PM
Using it on the pocket. Just threw a 58mm filter on it and there's NO vignetting. Guess it'll be fine without it. May still get the lens gear tho but for now really liking this lens.

oh wow, I guess the crop factor really gets you past all the edges. Cool. I'd still step everything up to 77mm though so you can use one filter on all your lenses. Also lets you put on a little lens hood for added protection from flares if you don't want them.

jeelz
12-15-2013, 12:17 AM
Yikes. Get ahold of SLR. That needs to go back to remove it for sure.

Ugh. Ok. Thanks for confirming.

vicharris
12-15-2013, 12:19 AM
Ugh. Ok. Thanks for confirming.

Have you emailed them with pics?

jeelz
12-15-2013, 12:51 AM
Not yet, I was mainly talking with them about the two mounts grinding together. I'll definitely send them a pic tomorrow though. There's still some time left to return it to Adorama if need be.

vicharris
12-15-2013, 12:58 AM
Not yet, I was mainly talking with them about the two mounts grinding together. I'll definitely send them a pic tomorrow though. There's still some time left to return it to Adorama if need be.

Oh you bought it from Adorama? Yeah, send it back asap then man. Get a new from them. They are great with returns.

jeelz
12-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Oh you bought it from Adorama? Yeah, send it back asap then man. Get a new from them. They are great with returns.
Definitely sounds easier than sending it to Hong Kong for repairs ;)

vicharris
12-15-2013, 04:27 PM
Definitely sounds easier than sending it to Hong Kong for repairs ;)

Yep, you just drew a short stick. Mines solid and the glass is good to go.

misterkofa
12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Loving this lens... early morning natural light test:

https://vimeo.com/81953384

vicharris
12-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Loving this lens... early morning natural light test:

What stop were you shooting at there?

Wait, you have 17mm there. I thought you bought the 12mm on ebay?

misterkofa
12-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Oh shoot! It's the 12mm. Fixed video description. Thanks

Shot at around 2.8 or 3.2 I believe.

vicharris
12-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Oh shoot! It's the 12mm. Fixed video description. Thanks

Shot at around 2.8 or 3.2 I believe.

No problem, threw more for a loop for a sec. This didn't look like the 17mm wide open :)

Jaime Valles
12-15-2013, 10:26 PM
For those curious, I have the SLR Magic 12mm f/1.6 HyperPrime (original, I believe) and I use a generic Fotodiox 58mm-77mm step up ring I bought on Amazon for $4.02 and it works perfectly. Zero vignetting on my GH3, even with the step up ring and a Tiffen 77mm ND filter on it.

I'm not sure what the SLR Magic branded step up ring does that makes it costs $50, but I sure as heck don't need to pay that much for a step-up ring.

vicharris
12-15-2013, 11:09 PM
For those curious, I have the SLR Magic 12mm f/1.6 HyperPrime (original, I believe) and I use a generic Fotodiox 58mm-77mm step up ring I bought on Amazon for $4.02 and it works perfectly. Zero vignetting on my GH3, even with the step up ring and a Tiffen 77mm ND filter on it.

I'm not sure what the SLR Magic branded step up ring does that makes it costs $50, but I sure as heck don't need to pay that much for a step-up ring.

Yes, this is true. But when you shoot on anything with a sensor larger than the GH3, like the GH2, you will see vignetting. This is why they made the step up ring. So to answer your question, yes, there's a reason sir.