PDA

View Full Version : ProRes/DNxHD Samples & Gradability

nickjbedford
04-29-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm interested in seeing how ProRes (and DNxHD) recording holds up against that of raw. Raw is, of course, the best option to shoot if storage is not an issue, and linear uncompressed is by far the best source material to grade with, but for those with budgets not far beyond that of the camera and basic gear, shooting in ProRes is a great option to have.

Does it record to ProRes in log? Not sure if it has been mentioned or not. Also, does log take advantage of the 10-bits to still deliver something on par with the specified 13-stop dynamic range?

Is it highlights that lose out when shooting in log?

laco
04-29-2012, 11:31 PM
I'm interested in seeing how ProRes (and DNxHD) recording holds up against that of raw. Raw is, of course, the best option to shoot if storage is not an issue, and linear uncompressed is by far the best source material to grade with, but for those with budgets not far beyond that of the camera and basic gear, shooting in ProRes is a great option to have.

Does it record to ProRes in log? Not sure if it has been mentioned or not. Also, does log take advantage of the 10-bits to still deliver something on par with the specified 13-stop dynamic range?

Is it highlights that lose out when shooting in log?

Video (maybe rec709), or film (log) can be chosen for prores recording.
10bit recording has nothing to do with the 13 stop dynamic range. If you record in log prores I'm sure it will have the same DR.
How do I know?

Just ask people who used the Arri Alexa with an external recorder too.

nickjbedford
04-29-2012, 11:41 PM
Video (maybe rec709), or film (log) can be chosen for prores recording.
10bit recording has nothing to do with the 13 stop dynamic range. If you record in log prores I'm sure it will have the same DR.
How do I know?

Just ask people who used the Arri Alexa with an external recorder too.

All good. Reading an article on logarithmic images. As long as I get my stops, I'm happy :)

Note Suwanchote
04-30-2012, 09:56 PM
could you share that article?

nickjbedford
04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
could you share that article?

This was one of them. I think I was looking at another but it's gone from my history, sorry.

http://www.qvolabs.com/Digital_Images_ColorSpace_Log_vs_Linear.html

Note Suwanchote
05-05-2012, 04:33 PM
This was one of them. I think I was looking at another but it's gone from my history, sorry.

http://www.qvolabs.com/Digital_Images_ColorSpace_Log_vs_Linear.html

thanks !

mhood
05-06-2012, 10:51 AM
You know, with only two months to go until delivery, I'm wondering when examples of all of the modes might be forthcoming.

Paul Stephen Edwards
05-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks! V. helpful.

MDWB
05-09-2012, 09:03 AM
You know, with only two months to go until delivery, I'm wondering when examples of all of the modes might be forthcoming.

Yes, as much as I love the "idea" of the camera (iīve ordered one) itīs about time we got to look at some more footage samples.

pharpsied
05-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Yes, as much as I love the "idea" of the camera (iīve ordered one) itīs about time we got to look at some more footage samples.

I'm guessing it'll be after their NY and LA events. B&H has a tentative date of July 30, so I expect that the end of May/beginning of June will start the show, but that is just conjecture and assumption...

gonzo
05-10-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm guessing it'll be after their NY and LA events. B&H has a tentative date of July 30, so I expect that the end of May/beginning of June will start the show, but that is just conjecture and assumption...

Anyone going to these shindigs? I was hoping to be in LA for the BMD event. I just hope its that soon they are allowed to release some Raw cDNG. We in Dallas would love to get our hands on it from a production and post standpoint.

rheex
06-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks, very interesting and useful for beginners.