PDA

View Full Version : Nola at night

creativity75
09-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Just found this on vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/50224629

BM4EVER
09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Beat me to it! Looks great. And "only" prores :)

Kholi
09-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Sales and Customer Relations 101:

Undersell, over-deliver.

Not a lowlight cam my hiney. As good as anything out there that's not an FS100.

Not all mushy/lacking detail, clear, great color.

Good stuff.

BM4EVER
09-26-2012, 10:06 PM

Undersell, over-deliver.

Good stuff.

+1

dustylense
09-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Looks alright. I'm concerned with the flaring a bit. Wide church shot kinda off. Kinda soft for mounting the excellent Leica 19mm R and 50mm 1.4, but I'm sure vimeo hit that a bit. It does look filmic though. BMC did get that down. I'd like to see this user post some daylight shot with that lens combo though. I have both lenses and would love to see with the full spectrum.
Overall... It's a cinema camera. It has that look and potential. Flag them lenses though for the BMC.

Brian@202020
09-26-2012, 11:16 PM
Very nice.

Gwangjuboy
09-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Why is everyone so complimentary. Sure the footage is great but the shakyness makes the whole clip almost unwatchable. Im surprised this is not flagging concerns about rolling shutter and camera shake handheld. I hope IS will improve the situation.

David
09-27-2012, 12:16 AM
I'm buying this camera but not to shoot hand held. That's for sure. Maybe some of you have superman steady hands, but the handheld motion is nauseating with the rolling shutter, and I don't want to be stabilizing shots in post. Handheld is fine if the read out is fast enough but clearly not with this camera. For the lucky few with insanely good hands great, but for the rest of us a good shoulder mount is must if you are not on sticks, dolly, crane etc,.

dustylense
09-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Why is everyone so complimentary. Sure the footage is great but the shakyness makes the whole clip almost unwatchable. Im surprised this is not flagging concerns about rolling shutter and camera shake handheld. I hope IS will improve the situation.

Not sure if anybody cares to study the RS as we all know it's there. It's the image most are concerned with here. It looks good by most standards and expectations. Sure, the clip is shaky and we can all see this will NOT be your run and gun camera stripped down rig-less.

IS will help you stabilize the shakiness, but not improve RS at all. RS is RS. ANd so far this guy is on par with the Canons for RS.

nihilessence
09-27-2012, 12:28 AM

because different strokes and all that, and rolling shutter can be worked around given the right skills (and I suspect many people are crossing their fingers for a firmware reduction of rolling shutter).

One reason this looks so good is the use of the leica r lenses which enhance dynamic range because of the 'creaminess' of the glass and the lack of modern lens coating (or something like that).

David
09-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Good news or bad news depending on how you view it, is that Canon HDSLRs are so prevalent that many people have become use to Rolling Shutter, sadly, and view RS as part of the medium and not the gross image deformity that it is.

Kent Nichols
09-27-2012, 12:38 AM

Which is why I'm going with the EOS mount and IS lenses.

nihilessence
09-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Good news or bad news depending on how you view it, is that Canon HDSLRs are so prevalent that many people have become use to Rolling Shutter, sadly, and view RS as part of the medium and not the gross image deformity that it is.

It's a camera artefact that happens to be a spatiotemporal deformation. There are many artefacts in photography and filmmakers have been shooting and hacking around them since day dot. one day soon image flicker will be considered a 'gross image deformity' - an exotic camera effect to be pulled out for that special occasion and talked about in history class as a fun little factoid about why the camera moves around so slowly in 20th century movies.

/rant

edit:spelling

jambredz
09-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Its hilarious to me how people gripe and bitch about RS in conjunction with handheld. With a proper counterbalanced rig its a none issue for me. Seems no one can shoot without IS nowadays. Ah well ...guess not everyone can shoot like that.

rheex
09-27-2012, 08:30 AM
I think it's amazing! Looks like film. Man, I really want my camera!

Cornelius
09-27-2012, 08:31 AM
Enjoyed it, thanks for posting :)

mhood
09-27-2012, 08:33 AM
"Must be jelly 'cause jam don't move like that."

cgurtlinger
09-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Finally got to watch this, have to say was very enjoyable! Can't wait for mine!!!!

Soeren Mueller
09-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Its hilarious to me how people gripe and bitch about RS in conjunction with handheld. With a proper counterbalanced rig its a none issue for me. Seems no one can shoot without IS nowadays. Ah well ...guess not everyone can shoot like that.

Well IS certainly helps with the feared "micro-judder" that you can't get rid of completely when going handhelp, no matter how good you counterbalance your rig or how steady your hand is imho. It's just a matter of personal tollerance/taste ;)

When using the 24-105 zoom on a 5D I almost never disable OIS because it works so well. When we had to use the 50mm 1.2 on Redbull X-Alps because of no-light-in-the-alps-at-night it became clear to the whole team how nice OIS is... and how nerve wracking full frame sensors can be... (that's why I think the BMCC sensors size is perfect)

Kholi
09-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Well IS certainly helps with the feared "micro-judder" that you can't get rid of completely when going handhelp, no matter how good you counterbalance your rig or how steady your hand is imho. It's just a matter of personal tollerance/taste ;)

Not really. It's a matter of personal ability/training. You can definitely get rid of micro-jitters with a properly balanced rig and experience. I mean... the industry's been doing it for years just fine.

I've become a bit "soft" from not operating heavy cameras in a while, but during that period I could walk around with a 30-40lb RED build without breaking a sweat, handheld for hours at various focal lengths and it wasn't an issue.

What might be personal taste is how IS affects having to actually move the camera during a handheld shot: it doesn't look right, to me.

jambredz
09-27-2012, 03:26 PM
lol kholi says he has become soft . Duno why that cracked me up :D. I can shoot up to 85mm (sometimes 100mm) with a properly counterbalance rig with my 7d. The weight makes my movements very organic and floaty-ish...I duno how to explain it. Yes it does come from alot of practise but its not impossible. At 50mm it's cheese really :) BUT. i will say that these are dslr/stills lenses...not cine lenses.

Kholi
09-27-2012, 03:47 PM
https://vimeo.com/8766883

https://vimeo.com/8766883

300mm, handheld.

CoolColJ
09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I noticed the cute asian girl in the OP :)

ROCKMORE
10-03-2012, 09:08 PM

Undersell, over-deliver.

Good stuff.

I was not expecting such great looking natural images at night.

Really shows the capabilities in available light.

There is a ton of information here for grading.

ROCKMORE
10-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Why is everyone so complimentary.

I think they are complimenting the camera's ability, not the shaky camerawork.