PDA

View Full Version : NAB 2015 news! BMPCC II???

reeltrash
02-04-2015, 06:52 PM
This just got posted on a facebook group:
http://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/exciting-camera-rumors-2015/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_content=The-Most-Exciting-Camera-Rumors-of-2015&utm_campaign=02-2015-facebook-posts

Blackmagic Pocket Camera II

Mini-XLR Input
4K Recording
Flip out screen
Larger Build

haavard
02-04-2015, 07:38 PM
The source for those rumours are a whishlist thread on the official BM forums..

Connor_R
02-04-2015, 09:32 PM
That's honestly hilarious! ;)

Ryan Paige
02-04-2015, 11:00 PM
All I really got out of that site was that the phoblographer studio floor needs cleaning.

scorsesefan
02-06-2015, 07:41 PM
I don't think they're going to make the pocket bigger -- they couldn't call it the pocket anymore...

UTR-Labs
02-07-2015, 01:01 AM
All I really got out of that site was that the phoblographer studio floor needs cleaning.

Good one :D

PaPa
02-08-2015, 09:32 AM
I guess time will tell!

Wishlist for me would be what the current BMPCC offers along with:

1) 4K
2) up to 60 fps in 2K
3) Global Shutter
4) 13.5 stops dynamic range
5) XLR input
6) Less fragile ports.

Mind you, doesn't have to be the pocket cam lol. Just wishing for these features for under 5K. That would be my camera for a long time to come.

jimagine
02-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Take the current pocket, arguably one of the best balanced images out there, and put a quality screen on it and 60p and it would be everything a lot of people would need for a while to come. Given it's size and that it's essentially a manual camera (which is great) since it's been upgraded with level meters, histogram and has good zebras and peaking, there isn't really a lot more that I see missing for this minimalist design. Again it's the crap monitor and lack of slo-mo that make it less than ideal. Fix that and it would be the best small camera in the biz.

It's also a realistic upgrade vs the pie-in-the-sky "wish list" stuff.
Practically speaking, the Alexa is the most sought after image in the industry and it's not 4k.
There are a lot of affordable 4k cameras out there, but they don't have the IQ of the Alexa or the pocket for that matter.
It's a magical little device that doesn't need an overhaul...just slight improvement.

_OZ
02-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Take the current pocket, arguably one of the best balanced images out there, and put a quality screen on it and 60p and it would be everything a lot of people would need for a while to come. Given it's size and that it's essentially a manual camera (which is great) since it's been upgraded with level meters, histogram and has good zebras and peaking, there isn't really a lot more that I see missing for this minimalist design. Again it's the crap monitor and lack of slo-mo that make it less than ideal. Fix that and it would be the best small camera in the biz.

It's also a realistic upgrade vs the pie-in-the-sky "wish list" stuff.
Practically speaking, the Alexa is the most sought after image in the industry and it's not 4k.
There are a lot of affordable 4k cameras out there, but they don't have the IQ of the Alexa or the pocket for that matter.
It's a magical little device that doesn't need an overhaul...just slight improvement.

Couldn't agree more. I'll deal with the battery life, etc. However, there are projects where I have to decide whether to use my GH cameras, or pocket. I'd way rather have the pocket image, but if there's slomo involved, then I'm forced into the GH look.

jimagine
02-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Exactly. I've picked up two cameras, GH and Sony, just for the slomo compliment and it's an unwelcome compromise.
The pocket image with the 60p option would be a huge plus.

Telecinese
02-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Not even a pocket owner, but since we're in the realm of wishful thinking, here's what would make me one:

Same good old Pocket / BMCC quality 1080p ProRes image.
Olympus EM-5 MK2 style (https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/olympus-comes-in-from-the-filmmaking-wilderness/) works-with-every-lens sensor stabilization.
120fps slow motion. Boom.

Forget the other stuff. Can't think of a better companion/complement for the BMCC. :)

Dontshoutfilms
02-09-2015, 02:33 PM
Not even a pocket owner, but since we're in the realm of wishful thinking, here's what would make me one:

Same good old Pocket / BMCC quality 1080p ProRes image.
Olympus EM-5 MK2 style (https://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2015/02/01/olympus-comes-in-from-the-filmmaking-wilderness/) works-with-every-lens sensor stabilization.
120fps slow motion. Boom.

Forget the other stuff. Can't think of a better companion/complement for the BMCC. :)

Yeah that in camera stabilization has got me drooling. I love the images from my pocket camera, but that would make my life so much easier.

jimagine
02-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Yeah that in camera stabilization has got me drooling. I love the images from my pocket camera, but that would make my life so much easier.

Well, the only chance you have of realizing any of these fantasies is to buy a few cameras and a soldering iron and see if you can splice all the technology together.

Besides, there's an incredibly affordable image stabilizer already available for the BMPCC and all of the pro's are using it - a tripod.

misterkofa
02-09-2015, 07:06 PM
120fps??? Does the URSA even have that?

In camera stabilization? Ooooo kaaay.

I know I'm coming off snarky but come on guys, this is the pocket we're talking about. We can dream all day (which is nice) but I hardly see any of these coming to reality.

At best I see 48 or even 60fps at 1080p and probably not even recording raw. Maybe even making it touchscreen to be able to access the menus quicker and a higher res screen.

Or even an EF version and better battery management may be in the cards.

I honestly love the pocket just as it is... I mean sure, I would love 500fps. Who wouldn't? But for a camera that costs $995, don't expect for it to do better than what it's older brothers can do.

The pocket's best trick up it's sleeve is it's size and image quality. And keeping it small will be difficult with all these features as they will require better cooling and other components.

I just pray they keep the same form factor as I really love my viewfactor cage.

Gary Huff
02-09-2015, 08:17 PM
The IBIS footage I have seen definitely has a "warp stabilizer" type of wobble going on in some clips. You're not fixing that if it happens to affect an important piece of footage, so I'd never use something like that myself.

Howie Roll
02-09-2015, 09:56 PM
The pocket's best trick up it's sleeve is it's size and image quality. And keeping it small will be difficult with all these features as they will require better cooling and other components.

I just pray they keep the same form factor as I really love my viewfactor cage.

I'm a big fan of the Viewfactor cage as well, nothing else offers as many mounting options. My ideal pocket 2 would be a brundlefly hybrid of the pocket and the Viewfactor cage. A little larger for bigger batteries and better ports with a solid aluminum exterior to aid in cooling as well as providing mounting options.

Joshua Cadmium
02-09-2015, 11:11 PM
What would really be cool, and certainly in the realm of feasibility, would be if the sensor of the BMCC was put into the body of the Pocket.

I'm guessing the larger form factor of the BMCC is mainly due to the need for an SSD slot. Now that SD cards are faster (200 MB/s on the Sandisk UHS-II) and Blackmagic has rolled out 3:1 raw, there is certainly enough bandwidth to deal with the increased frame sizes of the BMCC with an SD card. Even the standard Sandisk Extreme Pro should be fast enough at 30fps with 3:1 compression (it'd only be about 50MB/s!)

What would be even better, though, was if cooling was increased on the Pocket form factor, granting the full use of 50 fps of the BMCC sensor at it's full resolution of 2560x2160. And even at that, you would only be looking at about 140 MB/s.

poematik13
02-10-2015, 07:22 PM
Would like an actual OLPF to reduce moire/aliasing, 48fps at 2k or 1080 (thats a reasonable wish), a faster sensor readout to reduce rolling shutter, more in-camera LUT's instead of just the video/709, a bigger body with a more sunstantial LCD, stronger connnectors and please please no more micro hdmi at least a full size hdmi

Telecinese
02-11-2015, 07:03 AM
The IBIS footage I have seen definitely has a "warp stabilizer" type of wobble going on in some clips. You're not fixing that if it happens to affect an important piece of footage, so I'd never use something like that myself.

I understood there's a mode with and without the additional software stabilization precisely to avoid that. Not sure how good it is exactly, but apparently still pretty good.

This extreme worst-case-scenario test suggests it's very tempting for GoPro-style (car, bike, helmet, drone) crash cam uses, for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q75B8GNdUMk

Telecinese
02-11-2015, 07:13 AM
Besides, there's an incredibly affordable image stabilizer already available for the BMPCC and all of the pro's are using it - a tripod.

Funny. Seriously though, a lot of low-profile uses a small camera like a pocket should be a natural fit for (tiny spaces, anywhere tripods are not allowed or security will harass you for having a 'pro' looking setup, wanting to look like a tourist so people don't notice you and behave more naturally, etc) won't work without stabilization because the thing is so damn light and shaky, particularly at the longer focal lengths. Not to mention a tripod only helps with some types of fluid moving shots, not others.

Having excellent stabilization with any lens is a very real benefit for some types of work, even if it may not be useful for you personally.

gmfb
02-11-2015, 07:20 AM
Breaking News!

BMD have just announced a inflate-able Pocket Mark II, so everyone can blow it up to the size he wants!

thinkingcloud
02-11-2015, 04:28 PM
Breaking News!

BMD have just announced a inflate-able Pocket Mark II, so everyone can blow it up to the size he wants!

Finally! A way to cool off the sensor manually to enable 60 FPS!!!!!1

jsfilmz
02-13-2015, 08:48 PM
Just curious, do you all think that blackmagic design will actually have a new camera at NAB? Im just wondering because I was thinking of purchasing BMPC 4k but don't want to miss out on the new camera if any.

Brandon
02-14-2015, 01:30 AM
NEVER wait for a camera you're not sure exists. Especially a Blackmagic camera :)

Dontshoutfilms
02-14-2015, 01:45 AM
Just curious, do you all think that blackmagic design will actually have a new camera at NAB? Im just wondering because I was thinking of purchasing BMPC 4k but don't want to miss out on the new camera if any.

NEVER wait for a camera you're not sure exists. Especially a Blackmagic camera :)

Truth. Even if they announce something, their track record suggests that we wouldn't see anything shipping till this fall at least.

jambredz
02-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Truth. Even if they announce something, their track record suggests that we wouldn't see anything shipping till this fall at least.

I'd say possibly next January shipping in decently large amounts.

Kholi
02-15-2015, 04:21 PM

Are you sure? The Studio Camera was shipping right after NAB Announcement, I think the same week?

rick.lang
02-15-2015, 04:51 PM
HE'S BACK! Welcome, Kholi. Vic has been keeping the fire going here, but we're looking forward to you adding a log to the blaze! What's up?

Dontshoutfilms
02-15-2015, 07:13 PM
Are you sure? The Studio Camera was shipping right after NAB Announcement, I think the same week?

Yes you are right! My mistake. I would love if they (or anyone really,) would do that more instead of announcing things so far in advance. Just tell us about it and give it to us.

walkaboutcamera
02-17-2015, 12:02 AM
What I would like to see next from BM I would not call a pocket camera, perhaps the black magic mini cube camera, bmmcc

7 cm cube form factor
active micro 43 lens mount
Very bright swing out led display for menu, camera status, histogram, audio levels, other than that external monitor required
Full size HDMI
Dual sd card slots
Same audio in out as bmpcc
Same battery bmpcc
Option xlr break out cables, I'm ok with proprietary.
Priced the same as bmpcc, but with an extra $500.00 US optional purchase of the da Vinci resolve dongle.

I can dream too, but I assume. Bmcc owners might say hay, it is now our turn in the product cycle for a mkii

walkaboutcamera
02-17-2015, 12:08 AM
Oh yah, and keep selling the bmpcc

misterkofa
02-17-2015, 02:29 PM

Wise words.

The cinema camera and 4k were shipping way past their initial dates. So much so that the CEO issued an apology and released "beta" footage of the 4k footage to calm down people with pre-orders. And then the whole mess with FPN on the 4K.

So they release 1 camera (that people hardly care about) on "time" doesn't erase BM's track record of late releases and updates that should have been there in the first place. We'll forgive but not forget.

robbing
03-02-2015, 07:53 PM
New BM cheap camera.
Just brain:
4:3 sensor 35mm (1.1,anamorphic,16:9 and techniscope 2.39:1)
+16 stops
HDRX
24 up to 60 fps
Global shutter
Prores and DNG 4.4.4
LUT

And then,gear....

jsfilmz
03-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Seriously guys cmon. Its NAB 15 next month. Could we get a little peak please!!

froess
03-03-2015, 12:07 PM
i would just love 48p, 60p, a bigger screen and better battery. maybe just a tad better on low light :)

Djreversal
03-06-2015, 08:36 PM
I can say if anything is announced ill be buying it.. i keep almost pulling the trigger on a BMCC 4k but I'm trying to just be patient..

John Brawley
03-07-2015, 01:08 AM
So they release 1 camera (that people hardly care about) on "time" doesn't erase BM's track record of late releases

Pretty sure the Pocket was only a few weeks late on shipping as well.....

I just waited 12 months for a 50mm F2 Leica APO.

My 135mm Zeiss CP2 was 6 months after it's due date...

I'm still waiting on multi stream recording on my Odyssey 7Q which was more or less advertised as being imminent when I bought it 12 months ago.

Red were TWO YEARS late delivering their BOMB EVF...

Being late is hardly exclusive to BMD....

JB

jimagine
03-07-2015, 04:10 PM
First time camera maker has real QC issues from supplier and can't meet it's original timelines.
History.

They fixed the problems as pros do.
Before making awesome cheap cameras, said company was producing other groundbreaking, world class tools for the industry.
We all run into unforeseen issues with our work and if we're pros, we do whatever is required to correct them.

Since then they've released 3 more great cameras and regularly brought the "older" ones more and more features and functionality.
Very good professional performance...exemplary really.

It's why I keep looking past the new FS7 and Canon C MKII and forward to what BM will offer next.
With a couple of years of camera making experience under their belts, I expect the BMPCC MKII to be silly good.
I'm still saying 1080, 60fps, better screen same DR...and IR/OLPF would round it out well.

JLdp
03-07-2015, 05:08 PM
yeah, if they dont give us some sort of higher frame rate, even 48fps, ill have to move to a canon c300 mk2 i guess.

Ervani
03-18-2015, 06:37 AM
Yes... BMPCC2 6K, 20 stops dynamic range, interchangeable lens mount, XLR, 3 days battery life, 20 inbuilt LUTS etc etc and for the prize of 150 Dollars... Come on guys stop speculating utopia :-)

kurt10
03-18-2015, 09:35 AM
I want

AA filter..no moire
APS-C Crop
Canon lens
Better screen
Better audio

jsfilmz
03-18-2015, 12:06 PM
Cmon BMD could we please get a sneak peak!! Arri, red and canon already leaked some info. $5 paypal if you leak your new cameras.

joost
03-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Whaha wtf dude "$5 paypal for leak". Classic.

I'm not very sure, but didn't the BMPCC came out of the blue on NAB?
Maybe this time there is also a surprise.
Hope something with XLR and internal ND, but it will probably will be something that is just isn't it for me.

Love the BMC's price and image, hate the formfactor bigtime.

dcloud
03-19-2015, 10:44 AM
Bmd should just cancel the hdmi-ursa and release a recorder-monitor with 4k60p

louis
03-21-2015, 05:10 AM
I don't think there will be BMPCC II on NAB 2015 Show.

DanKanes
03-24-2015, 07:54 PM
How about:

BMAC (Black Magic Action Camera)
exact goPro Hero4 form factor
No Screen
4k 2/3" sensor (global shutter)
screw in behind the lens IRND filters
Prores 422HQ
Compressed Raw

$595 usd

stevesherrick
03-24-2015, 08:20 PM
How about:

BMAC (Black Magic Action Camera)
exact goPro Hero4 form factor
No Screen
4k 2/3" sensor (global shutter)
screw in behind the lens IRND filters
Prores 422HQ
Compressed Raw

$595 usd
With some of your wireless mojo for feeding monitors?

misterkofa
03-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Pretty sure the Pocket was only a few weeks late on shipping as well.....

I just waited 12 months for a 50mm F2 Leica APO.

My 135mm Zeiss CP2 was 6 months after it's due date...

I'm still waiting on multi stream recording on my Odyssey 7Q which was more or less advertised as being imminent when I bought it 12 months ago.

Red were TWO YEARS late delivering their BOMB EVF...

Being late is hardly exclusive to BMD....

JB

True. But RAW shooting (on the pocket) didn't come till much later.

I get it. Things don't always go as planned. And just cause other companies do it doesn't make it right... or else it's just a free for all as to when you'll get your product.

BM has done an excellent job in fixing a lot of the issues but their communication during that period wasn't the best.

However, at the end of the day, I absolutely love my BM cameras and look forward to what they'll release next.

yoclay
04-06-2015, 06:23 AM
True. But RAW shooting (on the pocket) didn't come till much later.

I get it. Things don't always go as planned. And just cause other companies do it doesn't make it right... or else it's just a free for all as to when you'll get your product.

BM has done an excellent job in fixing a lot of the issues but their communication during that period wasn't the best.

However, at the end of the day, I absolutely love my BM cameras and look forward to what they'll release next.

No single thing killed their reputation among professional DP's more than their lack of consistency and poor communication.
If there is one thing that a pro must do, it is insure delivery.
Before their cameras, BM garnered another level of respect in the industry.
Red has suffered on occasion for this reason and Arri always delivers.
Which is why they are the industry standard.

Blackmagic would de well to deliver exactly what they promise and when they promise it.
If that means not announcing a product until it's ready than so be it.
But that will never be the case, because they know the money to finance their projects is in the pre-orders.
So in fact they make promises, before they are even sure they can deliver.
But proof of concept is very different than implementation and QC as BM has so painfully learned.
These are not my words, but rather someone I know who sold for them for several years.

In any case, I am very wary of any announcement that BM would make these days at NAB or elsewhere.

jimagine
04-06-2015, 04:32 PM
I think we can move on from this line.
They've proven themselves to deliver a lot of different things well and after just a couple of years making cameras they've certainly addressed their early issues.
Working with a couple of their cameras, Resolve, and their interfaces in post, I have great confidence in their products and commitment.

rawCAM35
04-06-2015, 05:33 PM
No single thing killed their reputation among professional DP's more than their lack of consistency and poor communication.
If there is one thing that a pro must do, it is insure delivery.
Before their cameras, BM garnered another level of respect in the industry.
Red has suffered on occasion for this reason and Arri always delivers.
Which is why they are the industry standard.

Blackmagic would de well to deliver exactly what they promise and when they promise it.
If that means not announcing a product until it's ready than so be it.
But that will never be the case, because they know the money to finance their projects is in the pre-orders.
So in fact they make promises, before they are even sure they can deliver.
But proof of concept is very different than implementation and QC as BM has so painfully learned.
These are not my words, but rather someone I know who sold for them for several years.

In any case, I am very wary of any announcement that BM would make these days at NAB or elsewhere.

BMD reputation is growing more than ever
I do not think that you can find a production, post or a studio facility without BMD products in it
BMD finance their projects from their profits, not from pre-orders, this is their philosophy from day one, Mr Grant made the first product, sold it and used the money to finance the second, because banks and investors refused to finance the creation of BMD, it is still not public company, and big part of their profits goes to RND, BMD is one of the most profitable companies in the world

I rather have a company share their new product with users before it goes on the production line, and take the feed back and incorporate it into the product

I can't wait to see what BMD will bring to the table, it is going to be a lot to talk about

yoclay
04-06-2015, 06:20 PM
BMD reputation is growing more than ever
I do not think that you can find a production, post or a studio facility without BMD products in it

Not when it comes to cameras.

Frank Glencairn
04-07-2015, 12:44 AM
... because they know the money to finance their projects is in the pre-orders.

That doesn't make any sense.
The pre-order money goes to the dealers (if they charge you for pre-order at all), not BM.