PDA

View Full Version : Anamorphic lens

mbeck
09-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Ok, not footage yet.. but very soon. here is what I will be shooting tests with tonight/tomorrow

This is an anamorphic lens from a Runco projector. I know its no lomo or anything, but since I have access to this thing, I figured I would give it a go.. Test footage to come soon!

mbeck
09-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Ok, so... I have no idea what the aspect of this lens is. Here is a DNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/39gcqba1g3fvgqg/Frame000217.dng
and here is the jpeg:

I also don't know how to work in anamorphic in resolve.. :(

help? :)

Yuns
09-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Looks like a 1.3x so 3120 pixels horizontally should do it. (i.e 2.31:1)

Yuns
09-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Here it is stetched to approximately proper ratio.

mbeck
09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Looks like a 1.3x so 3120 pixels horizontally should do it. (i.e 2.31:1)
Thanks!

I am having good luck so far, but I am not sure about infinity focus. I can focus at about 6 feet at f2.8 without a diopter. I have some coming tomorrow to test.. but I am thinking that they will be too strong. the weakest is a +1. I can't really find any lower.

mbeck
09-25-2012, 11:02 AM
So, after some focusing of the anamorphic lens, I have been able to focus much closer.
I am able to rack focus from the leaf that is almost touching the lens, to infinity. The lens has to be stopped down a bit, but with the shallow DOF that the anamorphic gives me, it really isn't a problem. I will post footage ASAP.

mbeck
09-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Here is a quick test I shot on my not so stable tripod rig :)
https://vimeo.com/50155378

https://vimeo.com/50155378
(Still converting as I post this)

stip
09-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Hey Michael,

thanks, looking good so far!

rawCAM35
09-25-2012, 03:21 PM
The image size is changing when you rack focus, it acts like a zoom.

Kholi
09-25-2012, 03:25 PM
That's the Nikon lens' breathing being amplified by the squeeze.

Nearly all still glass breathes like that.

mbeck
09-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Actually its my Tamron here. and yeah, it breathes a lot.

Sri
09-26-2012, 04:09 AM
Kholi, would the breathing show in cine lenses like, let's say, the Samyang/Rokinon lenses?

The last time I used an OLYMPUS Zuiko ED 35-100mm F2.0 with the AF100, I could see the breathing.

rawCAM35
09-26-2012, 10:53 AM

This is way too much, it is not normal, check " Bavarian Rain " frank did two rack focus shots with very old zoom lens with no breathing at all.

jambredz
09-26-2012, 02:09 PM
As stated by Kholi the breathing is amplified by the anamorphic lens. So yes it will seem more than usual.

jambredz
09-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Kholi, would the breathing show in cine lenses like, let's say, the Samyang/Rokinon lenses?

the Rokinons are not true cine lenses. Cine lenses are designed not to breathe or show very minimal breathing. The Rokinons are STILL lenses that have been declicked and fitted with gears (same Duclos cinemod to Zeiss still lenses). So whatever breathing is exhibited in the normal still version is the exact same breathing in the "cine" version.

mbeck
09-26-2012, 09:41 PM
https://vimeo.com/50265160

Some more anamorphic testing. Some night shots this time.
800 ISO. Lens was stopped down to about 3.5 (I think.. but some may have been 2.8). Shot in ProRes quickly graded with Colorista.

jeneyakos
09-28-2012, 01:17 PM

Some more anamorphic testing. Some night shots this time.
800 ISO. Lens was stopped down to about 3.5 (I think.. but some may have been 2.8). Shot in ProRes quickly graded with Colorista.

Thanks for the tests Michael! What tripod or kit, gear did you use for the movements? (Maybe some picture about the rig? :)) Because it moves so smooth. There some footages out there whats are horribly shaky even when they used tripod. But this one is nice. Thanks.

wreck2
09-28-2012, 03:33 PM
The whole video looks great, but that last clip with the slight blue tint, looks so filmic! I wish I could shoot in anamorphic!

Sri
09-28-2012, 07:09 PM
the Rokinons are not true cine lenses. Cine lenses are designed not to breathe or show very minimal breathing. The Rokinons are STILL lenses that have been declicked and fitted with gears (same Duclos cinemod to Zeiss still lenses). So whatever breathing is exhibited in the normal still version is the exact same breathing in the "cine" version.

seanoo
10-01-2012, 07:39 AM
Hi Michael, You aren't interested in selling your Runco Lens by any chance are you? Thanks Sean

rick.lang
10-01-2012, 08:29 AM

I had not given focus breathing much thought when looking at those inexpensive ciné lenses! Better than using a still lens but not quite a true ciné lens after all sadly. But I can't afford the real thing so I imagine it won't make a difference to any purchase decision just good to be aware of this shortcoming.

Kosmokrator
10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I think focus breathing really is overrated.
Only a few people watching any movie will recognize it at all.
And to be honest: i think (like any minimal zooming) it adds a bit of tension to the shot.
But to say it in german: "Geschmäcker sind verschieden".

robmneilson
10-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Just saw Looper and none of the lens breathing bothered me one bit. I think there were only 2-3 shots where I noticed it, and it was fine....

Liam
10-02-2012, 06:50 AM

Have you seen the breathing from the Rokinon lenses? It's substantially different from their own set of Still lenes & any still lens for that fact.

rick.lang
10-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Have you seen the breathing from the Rokinon lenses? It's substantially different from their own set of Still lenes & any still lens for that fact.

Liam, this sounds encouraging. Is there any sample video you can recall that uses a mid-range Rokinon ciné lens that would illustrate focus breathing (or lack thereof)? Thanks. I'm thinking some samples from a 24 or 35mm ciné lens would be informative.

Sorry this thread has veered off topic but appreciate your indulgence in this. Feel free to start a new thread in Lens Discussion like "focus breathing in budget ciné lenses."

rick.lang
10-02-2012, 06:09 PM

After seeing these posts and looking at video shot using the Rokinon ciné lenses (thanks Liam), I must say that any focus breathing present was not significant compared to the still lens sample posted previously. I'm not concerned it would be noticeable and, if perceptible, it's not likely a distraction.

jambredz
10-02-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm not saying the Rokinons aren't usable...i for one have 2 lenses...the 35mm and 85mm. Just saying they aren't cinelenses and people should know that they aren't perfect. They are great for what it is and the price you pay :)

Liam
10-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm not saying the Rokinons aren't usable...i for one have 2 lenses...the 35mm and 85mm. Just saying they aren't cinelenses and people should know that they aren't perfect. They are great for what it is and the price you pay :)

Fair enough, I think they're great for what they are as well. I have the 14mm, the positives for some people will outweigh the negatives. Hence why I bought them and a lot of other people will as well. Your kidding yourself if you think these will perform as well as 50k+ cine lenses. but they have some very helpful functions for a minimal price. Also a few of them are a lot faster than there still counter-part which I think is really good.

mbeck
10-02-2012, 09:59 PM
Sorry this thread has veered off topic but appreciate your indulgence in this. Feel free to start a new thread in Lens Discussion like "focus breathing in budget ciné lenses."

No problem man. Any thread not talking about shipping dates or comparing BMD to RED or Apple is fine by me! :)

Cornelius
10-03-2012, 02:47 AM
Great thread, I had never read about lens breathing until now.