PDA

View Full Version : Anamorphot Help!

Simon Shasha
01-14-2015, 02:01 AM
Hey guys :)

I own the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens (which transforms into 10.5-20.5mm F1.0 via x0.58 SpeedBooster), a Nikon 28mm F2.8AIS (which transforms into a 16mm F1.6 via x0.58 SpeedBooster). Could you guys please tell me if the SLR Magic Anamorphot is compatible with these lenses, Metabones x0.58 SpeedBooster and the BMPCC?

Given the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera's crop-factor of x2.88 , the Sigma becomes a 30-60mm (full-frame equivalent) and the Nikon becomes a 46mm (full-frame equivalent) - I'm a novice when it comes to anamorphic, really hope they work with the SLR Magic Anamorphot!

Please let me know your thoughts :)

slrmagic
01-14-2015, 10:40 AM
The manual has a compatibility list. On bmpcc you could use the Anamorphot up to 17mm but that only applies to prime lenses. If you use a zoom lens the range would be much reduced. This is due to the position of the entrance pupil is different between prime lenses and zoom lenses. The Anamorphot 1.33x is rated at f/2.8 so when using a focal reducer from any brand the aperture AFTER boost has to be equivalent to f/2.8.

It is not recommended to use a focal reducer when using the Anamorphot as it may introduce unwanted lens flares. Focal reducers usually increase centre sharpness but the edges are softer. It is proven before on a blog where the Canon 50mm f/1.4 was softer towards the edges when a focal reducer was used. When edges are soft it will affect the Anamorphic look as the edges would be soft too as a side effect from using a focal reducer.

Try to look half way down the article showing edges of a lens after focal reducer is used.
http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138:adorable-35s-35mm-speed-lens-comparison-leica-slr-magic-mitakon-canon-speedbooster-samyang&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

For lens compatibility you need to trial an error. We would only say the Anamorphot pairs well with our 17mm T1.6 CINE on the BMPCC and the 25mm T0.95 CINE II and the 35mm T1.4 CINE II on micro four thirds.

Maybe some others on this forum could give some feedback!

Hey guys :)

I own the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, a Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 lens (which transforms into 10.5-20.5mm F1.0 via x0.58 SpeedBooster), a Nikon 28mm F2.8AIS (which transforms into a 16mm F1.6 via x0.58 SpeedBooster). Could you guys please tell me if the SLR Magic Anamorphot is compatible with these lenses, Metabones x0.58 SpeedBooster and the BMPCC?

Given the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera's crop-factor of x2.88 , the Sigma becomes a 30-60mm (full-frame equivalent) and the Nikon becomes a 46mm (full-frame equivalent) - I'm a novice when it comes to anamorphic, really hope they work with the SLR Magic Anamorphot!

Please let me know your thoughts :)