PDA

View Full Version : Putting a kit together

MelbFilm
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Just looking for some feedback on a budget kit for my BMCC.

Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
Tamron 11-50mm VC 2.8
Samyang 24mm 1.4
Samyang 85mm 1.4

The Tokina seems like a no brainer according to most, so I am happy with that.

I checked out the Tamron vs Canon but I feel the Tamron is very close in IQ and much cheaper (The Nikon looked great but is out of my budget). I went with VC for hand held shots.

I love the sharpness vs value of the samyangs which will hopefully give me some cover in low light as well.

Also is it fare to assume that with the BMCC's crop factor that distortion on the edges of these lenses becomes less relevant?

I also have a 7D so that I am happy to stick with the EF mount.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

rick.lang
09-22-2012, 11:24 PM
Just going from memory so hope I'm correct when I say numerous people have said to avoid the VC version of the Tamron and go with the non-VC version.

Are you going to use ciné versions of the Samyang lenses where available?

JoeRadd
09-23-2012, 12:11 PM
pretty mych what im looking out for, good choices

gsbe
09-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Tokina 11-16mm 2.8
Tamron 11-50mm VC 2.8
Samyang 24mm 1.4
Samyang 85mm 1.4Agreed, the Tokina seems to be a good choice. Instead of the Tamron you've listed, I am looking at the Sigma - 17-50mm f/2.8. I also have the Samyang - 24mm f/1.4 on my wish list. I am also interested in the 35mm f/1.4 from Samyang. With the crop factor in mind, I don't think I will need something with an 85mm that the Sigma 50mm can't reach.

I don't have any lenses nor DSLRs so I'm really having to start from scratch. I plan on renting the Tokina 11-16 and the Sigma 17-50mm to see which will work for most of what I need at first and adding from there. So many letters and numbers to figure out! :p

Yuns
09-23-2012, 04:32 PM
I bought the Tamron 17-50 non-VC version as its sharper than the VC version and in a comparison was the zoom in that range closest in sharpness to the excellent Canon EF-S 17-55. I do have one complaint about the lens though. The manual focus throw is incredibly short. It feels like 60 degrees at most. In contrast the 8-16 Sigma is 160 or so and my Nikon D 50mm is just shy of 180 degrees. Precise focus is going to be a bit fiddly on the Tamron. I'm going to keep it since the price to image quality ratio is incredible.

jambredz
09-23-2012, 05:53 PM
yeh i have had both versions of the Tamron and the non VC is indeed sharper so I sold the VC version to a fellow dvxuser member. I definitely enjoy the non vc over the vc version. However as Yuns mentioned...focus throw is damn short and its something you have to get used to. I'm selling my Rokinon 35mm f1.4 if anyone's interested. http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?965-Selling-Rokinon-35mm-f-1-4-nikon-mount

MelbFilm
09-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Did not know about the Cine versions of the samyang/rokinon lenses, but I will go with them if price permits.

Also think I may go with the non VC Tamron then, also if the focus throw is a bit of a problem is there another lens like this I should consider? Given this will prob be used a far bit I am happy to look at other options that maybe a bit more pricey.

I may also add the 35mm Samyang into the Mix too.

Thanks for your feedback.

jambredz
09-23-2012, 11:06 PM
a follow focus may give you more rotation on the tamron. I pull focus from my lenses so someone else will have to confirm that.

Yuns
09-24-2012, 12:26 AM
As an aside, take a look at this lens test. You can see the Tamron 17-50 in it compared to some pretty high priced glass.

https://vimeo.com/28712292

morgan_moore
09-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Also think I may go with the non VC Tamron then, also if the focus throw is a bit of a problem is there another lens like this I should consider?

Other options from Tokina and Canon maybe Sigma, the Sigma (I think) was surprisingly nice.

All AF lenses of this nature have short throw

A follow focus will depend on the gear ratio, simply you need a small cog touching the lens which translates a move of the FF wheel to less move of the lens

Some have this, some have this as an option (maybe Ocon?)

S

MelbFilm
09-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Just had a look at the Sigma here (http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=400&Camera=474&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=729&CameraComp=474&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=2).

It looks pretty good, its better at F2.8 but I think over that the Tamron starts to shine.