PDA

View Full Version : FM focus module for ANA

robbing
12-29-2014, 08:01 AM
Anybody knows this thing?
https://vimeo.com/105787520
https://vimeo.com/113620030

I spoke with the developer to make one for front square-front Lomo,no luck.
Looks an amazing tool,but to me tele-anamorphic is not practical to shot movies.

kicap
12-29-2014, 10:30 AM
do they have a list of what anamorphic adapters fit this FM Lens? Kinda too many on the market. A compatibility list would be very helpful.

Liszön!
12-29-2014, 01:54 PM
There is a 10 page long discussion about the lens on EOSHD, check it out (http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7540-the-fm-lounge-discussion-of-anything-not-related-to-fm-price-and-discount/)!
So far the easiest option is to buy a golden Schneider Cinelux 2x, but others have reported success with different lenses, such as the Hypergonar Berthiot (https://vimeo.com/115236642) or a sightly disassembled Sankor 16D (https://vimeo.com/115491561).

cikaziva
12-29-2014, 05:10 PM
its really strange customer service that they have. he had almost nothing to show but some funny tests he did in backyard. several weeks back i contacted that guy and i told him that i am starting a production using anamorphic lenses and that i am willing to test his product along side with Hawk's V, and Kowa's, i offered to pay shipping back and forward and even to insure his lens as rental... i wanted to try his FM side by side with a 2x real modern ANA and vintage ANA Lens and make one normal lens test that we can really look and make some conclusions. i was clear that i am not willing to by this product and even less to chase appropriate projection lens on ebay, however i was willing to do a proper test on his system as long as i dont need to wast time on it. also i pointed to him that if the results ware satisfying i would ask producer to buy the lens so we can use it as per-visualisation setup, or even use it on a production... i also mentioned to him that producer in question is on of the largest and oldest productions in Canada... what i got back form him was really stunning: you buy, you try! on top of it he gave me a lecture how they dont need to make tests and how filmmakers responsibility is try "materials" and learn how they can use them...
my conclusion was that this guy is super arrogant or he is total alien in film world. in any case i dont understand his biz plan: you make something and that you make any appropriate test for it. just silly

Liszön!
12-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Hm, that's strange. He could have used some extra publicity. Probably he's really new to all this, and has to learn a lot about marketing, but at the end of the day, his product works, and he did it without a super sexy kickstarter campaign. Not bad.

kicap
12-30-2014, 08:26 PM
I have emailed the FM Lens Facebook page (since their website is still under construction) and also email them through their advertised webmail address.

No response so far and does anyone know what is the prices like for both their FM Lens and VM Lens (range)?

robbing
01-01-2015, 06:48 AM
I think the FM is an easy system. Just need diopters and the front of a wide-angle converter. Moving the wide-angle converter get focus pull. I tried and it works as a Iscorama.
The issue come from,which is the best lens to use?. (I mean,which concave or whatever kind of lenses)
Check:
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/7111-single-focus-instructions-for-anamorphic-projector-lenses/

The mistake of FM is that is build just for one kind of projector lens as Cinelux,I think because is just the lens he have.
Makes me want to talk with SLR Magic to build a single focus ANA adapter.

Tim Hole
01-01-2015, 07:25 AM
I still have a few of these projection lenses hanging around. Maybe I should experiment...

nicolas
03-03-2015, 04:57 AM
Hey guys, anybody tried the focus module now ?

Tim, I encourage you to experiment ! I just bought an Isco Ultra Star, as I plan to get the FM Lens soon.
I can say I'm really impressed by the sharpness of the glass.

I own good square front Lomo's and played with various anamorphic adapters in the past, and it's superior to everything I tried.
Now I have to wait to test it with the FM, but it may be the first solution I actually dare to use on a real project.

If only BMD could bring us a full sensor/4:3 option on BMCC ! :p

mjamerson
03-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Wait on it. more solutions are coming and FM module customer service really sucks like really sucks

Zak Forsman
03-03-2015, 11:50 AM
I just bought a Rectilux 3FF-W. looks like a better single-focus system than the Focus Module. Definitely much more light-weight. and the designer, John Barlow, has been extremely prompt and informative in private messages I've sent him via Facebook about it. Worth a look. The 3FF-S and 3FF-W range from $850 to $1100. I ordered mine in all black. It's being machined right now and I should have it in a month.

http://www.transferconvert.co.uk/cinemania/rectilux-3ff.html

What these single focus attachments really are, are variable diopters. perhaps someone more patient and talented than me could whip up a DIY solution? :)

nicolas
03-04-2015, 08:00 PM
I'm really curious about the Rectilux, Zak !
I hope you'll post some footage when you'll get it.
Thanks for the clarification about the variable diopters nature of those focusing systems.

Wait on it. more solutions are coming and FM module customer service really sucks like really sucks
do you talk about Rectilux, or is this a hint to more solutions to come ? ;)

keithlango
03-06-2015, 12:50 AM
Hey Zak,
Are the Rectilux folks still doing that 25 unit batch thing (ie: once enough customers have put down deposits for 25 units then they will actually make them), or are they fulfilling individual orders as they come in?

VMM
03-06-2015, 06:08 AM
Last impressive short with FM Focus Module:
https://vimeo.com/117824694

raf702
03-06-2015, 10:11 AM
Hey Zak,
Are the Rectilux folks still doing that 25 unit batch thing (ie: once enough customers have put down deposits for 25 units then they will actually make them), or are they fulfilling individual orders as they come in?

I read that as well, because what if they don't get 25 orders in a timely manner. People who already placed an order for one could end up waiting months. Definitely would like some clarity on that.

Chris Adler
03-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Finding a lens solution is fine and dandy, but to me visualization is still a sticking spot, regardless of the solution. I shot a short on my B&H 2x anamorphic and tried to rig up a system using an SDI->HDMI->Wireless HDMI->Computer Capture Card->VLC Desquish->VLC Streaming and then I could point my laptop to the stream. It was a nice 3.5:1 aspect ratio which made it great for lighting but it was delayed and prone to drop out, so not a production solution. So we'd light in that mode but then pull focus off the squished image on the BMCC. Ended up with a few soft shots because of that.

Anyone have a great solution for the BMCC cameras?

jmad
03-06-2015, 02:16 PM
Finding a lens solution is fine and dandy, but to me visualization is still a sticking spot, regardless of the solution. I shot a short on my B&H 2x anamorphic and tried to rig up a system using an SDI->HDMI->Wireless HDMI->Computer Capture Card->VLC Desquish->VLC Streaming and then I could point my laptop to the stream. It was a nice 3.5:1 aspect ratio which made it great for lighting but it was delayed and prone to drop out, so not a production solution. So we'd light in that mode but then pull focus off the squished image on the BMCC. Ended up with a few soft shots because of that.

Anyone have a great solution for the BMCC cameras?

maybe I don't understand your problem but can't you just use a monitor with 2x desqueeze?

Chris Adler
03-06-2015, 06:05 PM
I haven't found a monitor with a 2x desqueeze. What do you use?

keithlango
03-07-2015, 01:21 AM
If you use a SmallHD DP4, under the Advanced menu you can choose a Custom Scale. If you set the VSize to 1000 you'll get a 2:1 aspect view. Don't ask me what 1000 means- it seems utterly arbitrary. But it does work.

Caveats: It's kinda tedious to set it via the click wheel. You can't store it as a preset on either of the function buttons for quick back & forth. Plus there will be a green bar on the bottom of your view that can be annoying (a little gaffer tape to cover it takes care of that for me).

Aside from those quibbles and inconveniences (it's just a $500 little monitor/EVF, can't have everything), you CAN view your 2x unsqueezed with the DP4. Just take 5 minutes at the start of the day when you toss the anamorphic on the camera to set the DP4 and you're good to go.

Zak Forsman
03-07-2015, 01:38 AM
The SmallHD DP7 has 2x desqueeze. and the DP6 allows custom scaling which can be saved as a preset.

Chris Adler
03-08-2015, 01:09 AM
Yeah, I was referring to a larger monitor in a video village. 4" & 7" monitors are too small to have people crowd around.

Zak Forsman
03-08-2015, 02:05 AM
I'm glad you asked this because I just realized that most commercial televisions have a service menu with that kind of control over the image. I know the two Samsungs we have at home definitely have independent control over horizontal and vertical scaling. Maybe i could pick up a cheap 24" for the field.

mjamerson
03-09-2015, 12:53 AM
The SmallHD DP7 has 2x desqueeze. and the DP6 allows custom scaling which can be saved as a preset.

Firmware 3.0 gave DP6 official 2x desqueeze in camera

grierdill
03-09-2015, 11:12 AM
I got the FM a couple weeks ago after really wanting to mess with anamorphics, but not wanting the hassle of double focus, diopter, no rack focus, ghetto clamps etc. So I splurged and got the Cinelux for cheap on ebay and the FM after checking out some test videos.

It's pretty great for it's ease of use, and really being able to control focus. On the pocket camera its a little funky with the 2x lens since you have to scale it up a bit to get the DCP scope dimensions of 2048x858. So aliasing and moire look especially weird. On the GH4 in 4k its great because you're only shrinking the image so everything gets sharper.

I need to test more lenses, but its pretty sharp with my vintage nikons, obviously stopping down helps, but there is a bit of a vaseline-on-the-lens type effect wide open.

I haven't found the squished preview on the camera or monitor too hard to work with. Somehow it doesn't bother me much, but maybe when shooting more than just tests it will be trickier. I'm going to use it on a short film later this month so I'll be curious to see how it works out with that.

raf702
03-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Firmware 3.0 gave DP6 official 2x desqueeze in camera

I have the DP6 with firmware 3.0. For some reason though when anamorphic mode is enabled. It desqueezes the image, but it crops out the sides. Not sure why it does that, but I still have to use the cameras lcd to properly frame.

I also tried using the custom scaling option, which does work. But leaves a green bar at the bottom when you scale the down the vertical height. And the screen won't zoom in if you use the camera, but in anamorphic mode you can zoom in.

I'm thinking of getting the AC7 maybe it works better??

pringleman
07-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Zac any update on that Rectilux footage, would like to see how it holds up. thanks!

kicap
07-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Yeah @Zack Forsman,

Did you manage to get your hands on those Rectilux Single-Focus converter? I am really contemplating to buy the 2x Anamorphic adapter from SLRMagic but I always have problem convincing the DP to use it for Commercial works as they don't want to screw up their takes just because having problem to focus the lens and the adapter every single time.

Thanks in advance.

Zak Forsman
07-20-2015, 01:09 PM
I did! here's some of my first test clips with it. I love it. and will be shooting a feature with it in t

https://vimeo.com/132291112