PDA

View Full Version : Avengers at the Odeon IMAX...

Costa Louvieris
04-27-2012, 06:27 PM
I was a bit worried how the image quality would turn out blown up from an Alexa on the big screen.. but boy was it beautiful! As the BMC is around the same resolution and also shoots RAW, could we feasibly get the same quality out of it? 60k camera Vs 3k camera - I would be happy with half the quality! It's exciting to think I could shoot a movie that looks as stunning as The Avengers.

Btw it was AWESOME!

StarCoreFilms
04-28-2012, 02:35 AM
I was a bit worried how the image quality would turn out blown up from an Alexa on the big screen.. but boy was it beautiful! As the BMC is around the same resolution and also shoots RAW, could we feasibly get the same quality out of it? 60k camera Vs 3k camera - I would be happy with half the quality! It's exciting to think I could shoot a movie that looks as stunning as The Avengers.

Btw it was AWESOME!

Why would you be concerned? The highest grossing film of all time by far & one of the most beautiful (though a lot of it was CG, except the actors on screen), Avatar, was shot on a 1080p 2/3" sensor Sony F23 Camera. The actors all looked great on the big screen. Alexa is in a bit of a higher league.

The BMC should be capable of similar quality, but a few differences. The Alexa is probably capable of much better low light (though doubtful that was used much on The Avengers) and much easier to get wide and shallow shots. Must remember though that The Avengers has a world class DP with millions of dollars worth of lighting. Light your shots and don't do fast pans (rolling shutter), expose well and grade your footage well and you should be able to create some beautiful images that are more than big screen worthy with the Black Magic Cinema Camera. Another thing, they use really expensive cinema lenses on the Alexa. I mean very expensive lenses. Though I think the difference between them and a nice high quality stills lens is not going to be night and day, but more of an incremental improvement that they are willing to pay to have because they can.

I can't wait to try it out!

OH, and of COURSE, The Avengers was awesome. I knew it would be since I first heard who was writing and directing. Joss Whedon. Already knew it'd be gold once I heard that news. :D

Costa Louvieris
04-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Ah another Whedon fan. He is truly my favorite tv writer/creator of all time! To say I am a fan is an understatement! haha

StarCoreFilms
04-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Ah another Whedon fan. He is truly my favorite tv writer/creator of all time! To say I am a fan is an understatement! haha
Yes indeed, Joss is also my favorite writer/creator of all time! Your sentiments mirror mine exactly. I'm thrilled his movie is getting such astonishing stellar review after stellar review. I'm glad to see the masses get to see what an amazingly talented writer/director he is. I've known since Buffy, then Angel, then Firefly. So it's of know surprise to me how well he handles ensemble casts, writes great, witty & sharp dialogue. He is a man that truly loves story telling and characters, which in turn makes his viewers love his characters so much. That's why he has such a rabid following. He brings the funny, the drama, suspense, intensity, dialogue, surprises, horror, charm and heart to his creations in a way that I love.

Joss loves story telling so much that right after filming The Avengers he goes and shoots a little self financed movie in his own back yard. lol. I think it's called "Much Ado About Nothing". He's also a pioneer for made for the web movies when he self financed and released the Dr. Horrible Sing-A-Long during the writer's strike. :)

BTW, speaking of Joss, I've been seriously considering shooting a Buffy film (or spinoff film) to pay homage to my idol and biggest inspiration. Whedon and his work is what inspired me to get back into filmmaking actually. I hate to call it a "fan film" really (though technically it is I suppose. lol), because I plan to go much further than a typical fan film where they are just having fun with friends and a camcorder and nothing really professional about it. I want to go all out with I am capable of doing. I'm talking filmed on BMC, lit shots, green screen work, makeup effects, some digital effects for dustings and such, slider shots, crane shots (jib crane type).

I'm still debating on whether or not to do this project, but it would be a lot of fun. How's that for being a fan? lol. :P

Tony Anastasi
04-29-2012, 04:24 AM
Just saw the avengers in 3d an hour ago. The 3d wasn't all that hard to watch, they didn't shove it straight in your face and its use was mostly just separating the actors from the backgrounds... Not a lot of things trying to hit your face. The ads in 3d before the film were all over the place though, fast flying objects just tear apart and stutter all over the place... Gf and kids said the same thing when I asked them after the movie... Fantastic film to watch though :)

FilmMan
04-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Look forward to the Avengers. May 4th release in my neck of the woods. Cheers.

Costa Louvieris
04-29-2012, 01:07 PM
Just saw the avengers in 3d an hour ago. The 3d wasn't all that hard to watch, they didn't shove it straight in your face and its use was mostly just separating the actors from the backgrounds... Not a lot of things trying to hit your face. The ads in 3d before the film were all over the place though, fast flying objects just tear apart and stutter all over the place... Gf and kids said the same thing when I asked them after the movie... Fantastic film to watch though :)

It was shot with post 3D in mind, so it's actually one of the best post 3D altered films I've seen... Captain America oddly being the worst!

Costa Louvieris
04-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Yes indeed, Joss is also my favorite writer/creator of all time! Your sentiments mirror mine exactly. I'm thrilled his movie is getting such astonishing stellar review after stellar review. I'm glad to see the masses get to see what an amazingly talented writer/director he is. I've known since Buffy, then Angel, then Firefly. So it's of know surprise to me how well he handles ensemble casts, writes great, witty & sharp dialogue. He is a man that truly loves story telling and characters, which in turn makes his viewers love his characters so much. That's why he has such a rabid following. He brings the funny, the drama, suspense, intensity, dialogue, surprises, horror, charm and heart to his creations in a way that I love.

Joss loves story telling so much that right after filming The Avengers he goes and shoots a little self financed movie in his own back yard. lol. I think it's called "Much Ado About Nothing". He's also a pioneer for made for the web movies when he self financed and released the Dr. Horrible Sing-A-Long during the writer's strike. :)

BTW, speaking of Joss, I've been seriously considering shooting a Buffy film (or spinoff film) to pay homage to my idol and biggest inspiration. Whedon and his work is what inspired me to get back into filmmaking actually. I hate to call it a "fan film" really (though technically it is I suppose. lol), because I plan to go much further than a typical fan film where they are just having fun with friends and a camcorder and nothing really professional about it. I want to go all out with I am capable of doing. I'm talking filmed on BMC, lit shots, green screen work, makeup effects, some digital effects for dustings and such, slider shots, crane shots (jib crane type).

I'm still debating on whether or not to do this project, but it would be a lot of fun. How's that for being a fan? lol. :P

Wow you really are taking your fandom to another level! I am doing the same but mirroring his writing skills by actually writing, producting and directing my own original IP. Granted it probably wont come close to Whedon's whit, but I really want to at least try:)

Oh and I have seen the movie twice now:) He deserves all the revenue he can get!

StarCoreFilms
04-30-2012, 07:56 AM
Wow you really are taking your fandom to another level!LOL. Yeah, I suppose so. Haha! Right now I'm just seriously considering it, but not for sure if it's really going to be my first big project. The pros is that is has a considerable and rabid fan base that would give it a chance and my work would at least be seen possibly by a lot more people than a first original project might be due to name recognition. If it turns out good fans/viewers may be more interested in my original work afterwards (guess it's my marketing mind at work with that logic. lol). It's so easy for original low budget films not backed by studios to become lost in a sea of other low budget movies. The cons is I can't make money off of it to support my next film, but if it gains my future films any kind of following or interest, or if people simply like it I'll be happy about it. At the end of the day, I want to tell stories about people and get people to become lost in a world I've created and come out entertained, touched, scared, etc.

I am doing the same but mirroring his writing skills by actually writing, producing and directing my own original IP. Granted it probably wont come close to Whedon's whit, but I really want to at least try:)
That's great. Sounds like me. lol. Originally I was working on an original project myself first, but I keep coming back to wanting to do the Buffy thing for my first film. I'm just drawn to it. lol. I think it'll be a good learning experience doing a fan film first, I'll get to pay homage to my idol and possibly gain some interest in my other work if fans enjoy it.

Oh and I have seen the movie twice now:) He deserves all the revenue he can get!
I'm jealous! I won't get to see it til the 7th. lol.