PDA

View Full Version : New Pro-Res Footage on YouTube

Sri
09-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Another Pro-res footage I found on YouTube. I have no idea who uploaded it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ktK8-uZn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_ktK8-uZn8

dustylense
09-18-2012, 02:22 PM
Thats some tough moire on the rail tracks.

Brian@202020
09-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Nice colors. They should have put on an ND tho, the shutter angle was to low.

Thats some tough moire on the rail tracks.

Agreed.

Sebastian Gross
09-18-2012, 02:28 PM
given the circumstance that no specs or details are shown and the material also went through compression i'm suspicious...just because someone writes BMCC on it ;) if it is actual footage then it'd seem to me that the camera is sort of "dripping" out of the factory and we might wait a little longer till we wont have to search for unlabeled footage anymore, right?

jpfilmz
09-18-2012, 02:31 PM
given the circumstance that no specs or details are shown and the material also went through compression i'm suspicious...just because someone writes BMCC on it ;) if it is actual footage then it'd seem to me that the camera is sort of "dripping" out of the factory and we might wait a little longer till we wont have to search for unlabeled footage anymore, right?

I agree. That footage looks terrible. Maybe a bad compression export? It's hard to get consistency. Who knows these days. I wish these guys would state their settings and lens choices.

Kyle Presley
09-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Those railroad ties look highly problematic. How soon will a 3rd party create a custom OLPF, you think?

Brian@202020
09-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Those railroad ties look highly problematic. How soon will a 3rd party create a custom OLPF, you think?

Not soon enough.

Kholi
09-18-2012, 02:55 PM
The tracks? What about the actual ground?

Yikes.

Barry Green
09-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Wide shot, deep focus, exactly what I would expect, and yes, there it is.

On the shallow-focus shots with the birds and whatnot, you don't see it at all -- exactly as predicted.

Oh well, knew it was gonna happen. Now looking forward to seeing what a BMC+Mosaic solution looks like!

Andrew
09-18-2012, 04:40 PM
given the circumstance that no specs or details are shown and the material also went through compression i'm suspicious...just because someone writes BMCC on it ;)

I've been wrong before, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but this does feel like bmc footage to me. There is something about how the bmc renders blue skies that I notice as being a bit different from other cameras.

Andrew
09-18-2012, 04:46 PM
I wonder how much, if any, shooting prores has to do with the moire here.

I know one of the BMD reps mentioned that shooting prores should not increase these problems, but still curious.

I'm not trying to say that if it was shot in raw it would be perfect. With no AA we're bound to see this type of thing.

Felix
09-18-2012, 05:49 PM
You guys sure thatīs BMCC footage? It looks sooo bad, at least this was exported with the worst possible settings!

markmwilliams
09-18-2012, 05:56 PM
The moire on the tracks and sleepers is pretty terrible actually - looks like what I'd expect from DLSR.

What's odd (and I do think that without an OLPF moire will be an issue occasionally) is that I haven't seen really offensive moire from the BMCC on any other footage released. Yes some moire but nothing like this.

I hear what you're saying Barry, but what puzzles me is that some shots from John, Frank and others had patterns in that should have been displaying some pretty awful moire, based on how bad it is on those tracks, but they haven't displayed anything that's been particularly noticeable or jarring to my eyes.

Maybe it's the compression used uploading this clip or maybe this isn't actually BMCC footage at all - yes, inevitably some people are going to post footage claiming to be BMCC when it isn't.

Until I see more clips displaying moire this bad I think it's too early to hit the panic button.

RyGuy
09-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Someone in Germany was shooting on railroad tracks with a BMC

http://twitter.com/#!/search/%23BMCC/slideshow/photos?url=http%3A%2F%2Finstagram.com%2Fp%2FPpUP43 r066

Kholi
09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
That looks like Frank's camera... I know that kid from another forum. Another FS100 guy.

Barry Green
09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
but what puzzles me is that some shots from John, Frank and others had patterns in that should have been displaying some pretty awful moire, based on how bad it is on those tracks, but they haven't displayed anything that's been particularly noticeable or jarring to my eyes.
Depends on the distance. It depends on how the pattern lines up with the sensor pixels. If it lines up just right, moire is triggered, but go a little closer or a little further away and it won't happen. The tracks are actually a perfect test case, because they give you all sizes at once -- because they go off in the distance, they get gradually closer together, so you're getting a whole bunch of sizes, and there's a range in there that's moire-city, and there's some that don't show it so much.

I don't want anyone hitting a panic button, I just figure folks should be aware and forearmed to deal with it, because like it or not, you are going to have to deal with it. No OLPF means moire will absolutely happen, especially on a Bayer-pattern sensor, there's no way it couldn't happen. The more you know about it (and the sooner you know about it) the more informed and capable of dealing with it you'll be.

stip
09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
C'mon, that's not BMCC.

maurizio
09-18-2012, 07:56 PM
more footage same source

http://youtu.be/DweebYjtNxM

caption says "testing blackmagic camera"

RyGuy
09-18-2012, 08:24 PM
more footage same source

Yikes. I don't think this is BMC footage, but at the same time I'm expecting to see a lot of, umm, bad stuff come from it from unskilled shooters thinking that it is a "magic" camera that will make all your stuff look like you're Roger Deakins.

ianim8
09-18-2012, 08:36 PM
had a heck of a time watching it on youtube from here.
is it me, I find watching clips on vimeo more professional?
something about youtube thats a big turn-off for me.

vegetableman
09-18-2012, 10:29 PM
had a heck of a time watching it on youtube from here.
is it me, I find watching clips on vimeo more professional?
something about youtube thats a big turn-off for me.

it's not just you. i hate watching film related stuff on youtube.

wyatt
09-18-2012, 11:27 PM
more footage same source

This looks like 60p footage from a canon dslr.

funwithstuff
09-19-2012, 05:41 AM
It's all been graded to death, and at least the part after 1 minute has been heavily zoomed up in post-processing. Looks like strange interlacing issues all over the place too. Either it's not BMCC footage, something went badly wrong in post, or both.

razz16mm
09-19-2012, 09:28 AM
It looks like ungraded overexposed Prores to me. Very wide shots, no indication of what lens was used. This is not a camera that will be particularly sharp on wide landscapes.

yoclay
09-19-2012, 09:34 AM
I've been wrong before, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but this does feel like bmc footage to me. There is something about how the bmc renders blue skies that I notice as being a bit different from other cameras.

Yes, there is a cyan magenta crossover and BMC is working on it.

jambredz
09-19-2012, 11:09 AM
At this point there's no way to confirm its BMCC footage, but it does look horrible. My guess is we'll see great stuff and horrible stuff out of this camera depending on the user (as with ANY camera).

markmwilliams
09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
This is not a camera that will be particularly sharp on wide landscapes.

How do you figure that?

Andrew
09-19-2012, 02:09 PM
Yes, there is a cyan magenta crossover and BMC is working on it.

Thanks for the info! I'm curious where you heard this.

Liam
09-19-2012, 04:57 PM
This is not a camera that will be particularly sharp on wide landscapes.

Are you talking about the BMC? If so, you're very, very wrong.