PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Wide for M43

wyatt
09-18-2012, 11:22 AM
I have been using the Tokina 11-16mm on my gh2, but I am after a 14-16mm equivalent for the gh2/3 and the BMCC. Anyone use the panasonic 7-14mm? Does anyone know how the distortion compares to the Canon 16-35 (on a full frame)?
Any other options, possibly in development?

Cheers

Jason M.
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I have been using the Tokina 11-16mm on my gh2, but I am after a 14-16mm equivalent for the gh2/3 and the BMCC. Anyone use the panasonic 7-14mm? Does anyone know how the distortion compares to the Canon 16-35 (on a full frame)?
Any other options, possibly in development?

I've not used it, but just as a word of warning, the 7-14mm won't work with the dumb MFT mount on the BMCC. It needs electronic connections on the mount to power focus and aperture. Heard good things about the lens, though.

Barry Green
09-18-2012, 12:11 PM
I've used the 7-14 extensively, it's a brilliant lens, hyper sharp and completely rectilinear.

It would be of limited use on the BMC because you couldn't focus it, zoom it, or change the iris. But if you put it on an m43 body and set the iris to f/4, focus to about 5 feet, and zoom to 7mm, you could then use it as a fixed-focus fixed-iris prime of 7mm. Practical? Not really. But it would be hyper wide, and it would have everything from about 1 foot to infinity in sharp focus.

wyatt
09-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Thanks guys for reminding me of the passive mount. Barry, what exactly do you mean that you can not focus or zoom it? Also, does the lens actually hold it's f stop after being set on an M43 body and then powered off? I think I read somewhere that it reverts to the smallest or largest aperture once the body's power source is shut off.

Would be Sigma 8-16mm be a better option? It seems that it has quite a bit of distortion.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Barry Green
09-18-2012, 12:54 PM
The lens is electronic, so it requires power to be able to focus and zoom. Once you put it on the BMC's passive M43 mount, you won't be able to focus or zoom at all.

And yes it does hold its f-stop. I have tested that.

I think the Sigma would be a more practical lens to work with, but undoubtedly it has more distortion.

dvbrother
09-18-2012, 01:41 PM
BTW, even with the workaround of setting the focal length, focus and iris on a MFT camera, the fact is that, at f4, it is very difficult to use the lens outdoors for video. At that f-stop, keeping the image from overexposure is very difficult, even at 200 ISO. You'll have to stack an ND filter on the front, but the 7-14mm has no filter thread, which means a matte box. But at 7mm, the FOV is so wide that getting a matte box that won't vignette the image is a tall order.

Cde.
09-20-2012, 11:57 AM
I've used the 7-14 extensively, it's a brilliant lens, hyper sharp and completely rectilinear.

It would be of limited use on the BMC because you couldn't focus it, zoom it, or change the iris. But if you put it on an m43 body and set the iris to f/4, focus to about 5 feet, and zoom to 7mm, you could then use it as a fixed-focus fixed-iris prime of 7mm. Practical? Not really. But it would be hyper wide, and it would have everything from about 1 foot to infinity in sharp focus.
Which would be perfect for Steadicam use.

BTW, even with the workaround of setting the focal length, focus and iris on a MFT camera, the fact is that, at f4, it is very difficult to use the lens outdoors for video. At that f-stop, keeping the image from overexposure is very difficult, even at 200 ISO. You'll have to stack an ND filter on the front, but the 7-14mm has no filter thread, which means a matte box. But at 7mm, the FOV is so wide that getting a matte box that won't vignette the image is a tall order.
Simple solution: stop it down. At that focal length DOF is not a priority.

itimjim
09-20-2012, 12:56 PM
If ultra wide is something you depend on, then I personally think the BMCC isn't for your needs. If your budget can stretch to a FF B-cam then I think you'd be sorted.

Wolf
09-25-2012, 10:47 AM
The kinoptik tegea 5.7mm f/1.8 might be an option. Not sure if it covers the BMC sensor though.
There's one up on Ebay right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINOPTIK-PARIS-TEGEA-5-7mm-1-8-Super-Wide-Lens-/230854188189?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35bffb5c9d#ht_1281wt_1397

rizibo
09-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Sigma 8-16mm takes beautiful images. This will be my wide lens.

Jason M.
09-25-2012, 02:33 PM
The kinoptik tegea 5.7mm f/1.8 might be an option. Not sure if it covers the BMC sensor though.
There's one up on Ebay right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KINOPTIK-PARIS-TEGEA-5-7mm-1-8-Super-Wide-Lens-/230854188189?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35bffb5c9d#ht_1281wt_1397

Based on results I've seen shooting the Kinoptik 5.7mm on MFT sensors, you'll get some pretty severe vignetting on the BMC. Really nice lens for shooting wide on 16mm, though.