PDA

View Full Version : Some new ProRes grabs

Frank Glencairn
09-17-2012, 06:27 PM
Here are some new grabs shot on ProRes.

Daylight 200 ISO, LowLight and Tungsten 1600 ISO - Samyang 35mm - quick grade with Colorista.

EDIT: They look a ton better on a calibrated 709 monitor - when I upload them here, faces get red blotches.
I make em downloadable.

Here ye go: http://www.filedropper.com/grabs

Paul Stephen Edwards
09-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Cool. Nice to see a variety of skin tones under different lighting conditions. Can't wait to see your stuff shot on the vintage Zeiss lenses. I just got my 50mm Flektagon Zebra in the mail and I LOVE it. Thanks again for your informative blog article!

Joe Giambrone
09-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Is that the cine version of the 35mm lens? It's very filmic.

Matthew Bennett
09-17-2012, 07:36 PM
Great shots of you in there Frank!

Was Rodney Charters in there?

nickjbedford
09-17-2012, 08:25 PM
:D

I just ordered the Zeiss Distagon 35mm F/1.4. It should be a lovely lens to use and probably my one of my common focal lengths on this particular camera .

J Davis
09-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I'm downloading the file but from what I see here, well ... hmmm
Nothing on Frank though, I grateful for his invaluable contribution

edit:
I've seen the download files. If thats tungsten then I'm still waiting to see decent skin tones under 100 cri

ianim8
09-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Thanks Frank!!

vegetableman
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
very cinematic.

Grug
09-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Frank, now that you've been shooting with the camera for a little while, how do you tend to use it? Mostly in RAW or ProRes?

Frank Glencairn
09-18-2012, 12:51 AM
For the record: The lowlight shots where done in the garden of a restaurant, lit only by a neon sign over the entrance. So I really had to push them.
Only the last picture is tungsten, in the inside of the restaurant.

Great shots of you in there Frank!

Was Rodney Charters in there?

Yes, we worked together for the last 5 days on this project, but now he went back to Dallas, to shoot the new season of ... well, Dallas.

@Grug, I love the sheer beauty and of raw, so that's what I mostly shoot. But I have to admit, that ProRes in Film mode is surprisingly good and would work
very well for most situations. Also the resolution makes a difference, even if you downscale the raw to HD.

morgan_moore
09-18-2012, 01:16 AM
Im sorry Frank, artistic they may be but technically they look terrible- like 3 under recovered jpgs

Im still not sure you have a handle on exposure after our previous discussion mainly revolving around the lack of onboard histogram and other tools to help you grab that handle.

S

CineMac
09-18-2012, 04:46 AM
Brought some of these into Resolve and played a bit (even though they were .jpg's). It was interesting trying to reduce the grain in the more trouble areas but then keeping enough of it so I don't lose detail in the face...

Felix
09-18-2012, 05:11 AM
@Grug, I love the sheer beauty and of raw, so that's what I mostly shoot. But I have to admit, that ProRes in Film mode is surprisingly good and would work
very well for most situations. Also the resolution makes a difference, even if you downscale the raw to HD.

So with Prores you lose resolution, when comparing 1080p with downscaled 1080p? That´s too bad :(

morgan_moore
09-18-2012, 05:19 AM

CineMac
09-18-2012, 10:52 AM
@morgan_moore - Nice! Did you do this in Resolve? I like how you pulled the blue out of the highlights, I was thinking about that myself... did you use LUM v SAT or LUM v HUE or something like that?

jeneyakos
09-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the graps. Can we see this in motion soon? :)

morgan_moore
09-18-2012, 11:21 AM
@morgan_moore - Nice! Did you do this in Resolve? I like how you pulled the blue out of the highlights, I was thinking about that myself... did you use LUM v SAT or LUM v HUE or something like that?

Sorry - I cheated. I used Photo Shop by Adobé (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vVUIYOmJM)

And yep I desated the blue at the top end actually brought all values down to about 95, added a yellow and film noise to the outside of the image.

S

CineMac
09-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Sorry - I cheated. I used Photo Shop by Adobé (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vVUIYOmJM)

Lol! Cheater... ;)

Frank Glencairn
09-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Im sorry Frank, artistic they may be but technically they look terrible- like 3 under recovered jpgs

Actually that's exactly what they are, it was pretty dark there. I post some of the ungraded originals tomorrow.

morgan_moore
09-18-2012, 05:00 PM
But why is all BMC footage under?

I mean is there a problem with the monitor so you got the wrong or you just shot in the dark.

I just dont think it is representing what the camera does .. I hope?

I mean I would post it as 'lowlight recovery test' or something to clarify, even rodders looks dark and that was outside?

S

morgan_moore
09-18-2012, 05:04 PM
Actually another thing I think it is very important to clarify the type of monitor, you did indeed comment 709 monitor.. like a CRT teevee? - Im sure they look totally different, dark but clean mabye and less like you have all seen a ghost?

I saw this with with 'The Bridge' (alexa I guess) looked terrible on my computer and nice on the Mrs CRT TeeVee - Iplayer had a 709 file, but everyone watches Iplayer on a computer I guess.

This is the web so deliver for the web?

S

Frank Glencairn
09-18-2012, 05:30 PM
But why is all BMC footage under?

I mean is there a problem with the monitor so you got the wrong or you just shot in the dark.

S

Just dark- the only light was that neon sign over the entrance.

Regarding that monitor, when I grade, I use a HP Dreamcolor set to 709, so it looks nice on TV gear.
When you upload to Youtube, it gets converted to 709 too.

Kholi
09-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Just dark- the only light was that neon sign over the entrance.

Regarding that monitor, when I grade, I use a HP Dreamcolor set to 709, so it looks nice on TV gear.
When you upload to Youtube, it gets converted to 709 too.

I've been wondering about what you're using as a source... a lot of your stuff, even FS100, is green biased. I've got two calibrated finishing sources, my iPad, and now my Retina MBPR and these images are green on each one.

Or maybe you like green more? haha

Frank Glencairn
09-18-2012, 06:13 PM
I've been wondering about what you're using as a source... a lot of your stuff, even FS100, is green biased.

Might indeed have to do with my grading habits - I like to pull my shadows towards greenish blue.

I post some originals tomorrow, so you guys can give em a spin.
Gotta sleep now. We just wrapped production and it was a long day.

CaptainHook
09-18-2012, 11:09 PM
I'm on my nec PA271W-BK-SV that's calibrated for 709 and they're quite green to me also. The first image appearing basically just green compared to the 2nd of Mr Charters which is much more balanced colour-wise. Also, jealous you worked with Rodney! Seems like such a great guy and does such great work. Thanks for posting all this stuff. It's appreciated. :)

Art Roberts
09-19-2012, 12:29 AM
A Sony Vegas trial grade

morgan_moore
09-19-2012, 01:48 AM
In 2001 I had a D1 camera, and also a junior photographer. On occasion he would not expose too well, (all came good he's now staff at AFP) and the files would look like what we are seeing here.

I mean on occasion we had to live with files like this, either due to technical error, or some known difficulty like shooting something at dusk that was too distant too light.

But we would never put them on a board representing the camera.

S

Frank Glencairn
09-19-2012, 03:34 AM
I'm totally brand agnostic and never do that "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing" thing.
As a humble reviewer, I think it's important, to also show the limits.

I Also, jealous you worked with Rodney! Seems like such a great guy and does such great work. Thanks for posting all this stuff. It's appreciated. :)

He is such a good soul and totally down to earth. Was a real treat to work with him.

Here are some grabs from the timeline as TIFF http://www.filedropper.com/grabs_1

morgan_moore
09-19-2012, 03:58 AM
I'm totally brand agnostic and never do that "if you have nothing good to say, say nothing" thing.
As a humble reviewer, I think it's important, to also show the limits..

Absolutely the images are great to see - but as a humble reviewer it is important to clearly report the circumstances and point out that you are indeed testing the limits.
These look to be shot in conditions where I would have seen the (non existant) histo and gone home!

S

Frank Glencairn
09-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Fair enough

morgan_moore
09-19-2012, 04:10 AM
I mean I guess the Fs100 could walk this darkness and would be far cleaner?

Im seeing them as a fine pair, day and night!

S

Frank Glencairn
09-19-2012, 04:34 AM
Yup, the FS100 can go to places where most other cameras would be blind.
The BMC is a low light camera, but not a no light camera like the FS100.

StarCoreFilms
09-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Here's my quick grades of a couple:

Matthew Bennett
09-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Great work.

Trevor Roach
09-19-2012, 08:45 PM
Played with a few grades last night. Love the skin tones from the camera (helps to have great subjects and footage)! Thanks Frank again! You are definitely making the wait easier to handle.

nickjbedford
09-19-2012, 09:08 PM
Played with a few grades last night. Love the skin tones from the camera (helps to have great subjects and footage)! Thanks Frank again! You are definitely making the wait easier to handle.

And at the same time.. Harder to stay patient :p

Trevor Roach
09-19-2012, 09:21 PM
And at the same time.. Harder to stay patient :p

True. :p

P.S. Actually played around with with these grabs using some of what you talked about in your blog about color grading. Great tips!