PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Samyang/Rokinon Cine lenses

ryaninoz
09-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Looking at a kit of Samyang/Rokinon Cine lenses and they are super cheap. What is the quality of the glass say compared to canon/nikon glass. Ideally I'd love a kit of Ziess compact primes but for my budget the Samyangs look almost too good to be true.

rawCAM35
09-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Samyang use hybrid aspherical lens elements in most of their lenses, the hybrid is a mixture of glass and plastic molded into aspherical shapes, a good aspherical lens is usualy made of glass, The surfaces of spherical lenses made of optical glass are ground into aspherical shapes.
To be honest with you I have not used any of Samyang lenses, so I do not know their quality.

zackwilson
09-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I have the 35mm f/1.4 and have been pretty happy with it. It's not going to compete with the $5,000 Canon cine lenses or anything like that, but it is quite solid for the price. The gears move smoothly. The sharpness is nice after T2.0. The 35mm has lots of favorable reviews from reliable reviewers - http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/samyang/35mm-f14.htm and apparently competes quite well with L series glass for video applications.

The one thing I've heard with this lens is that the copies vary a bit, so make sure you purchase it from a place you can return it to if you get a bad copy. But good copies seem to compete with some glass that's at a much higher price point. At least the 35mm lens.

I'm not sure about the 14mm or 24mm yet, haven't tried them.

Yuns
09-16-2012, 11:38 PM
I haven't used the Samyang/Rokinon but Matthew Duclos did an interesting comparison of optical quality against Zeiss.
http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2011/09/14/35mm-f1-4-showdown/

Liam
09-17-2012, 12:07 AM
I just bought the 14mm (non-cine version), yet to use it on my 5d, but I've heard very good things.

morgan_moore
09-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Looking at a kit of Samyang/Rokinon Cine lenses and they are super cheap. What is the quality of the glass say compared to canon/nikon glass. Ideally I'd love a kit of Ziess compact primes but for my budget the Samyangs look almost too good to be true.

You maybe need to ask yourself - Is the glass resolution the weakest link in my delivery chain to final output.

Also consider the 'simplicity' of designing glass that has a smaller image circle

(for example a nikon 14 covers FF35 and is pretty compromised even though it uses top end tech - the SLRmagic, is I guess, better)

And that most glass is designed to look adequate on 16mp stills cameras which is many times the res. of typical delivered video

Further one could consider if you actually want glass that out resolves a sensor with no OPLF

I would of course cosider CPs in situations where the production will be cheaper if the A/C can work fast due to the consisten o/d and filter size of the lens set he/she is using.

S

Cordvision
09-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Don't forget to check this thread: http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?874-Potential-Cordvision-Rokinon-(Samyang)-Lens-Deal

The Lens Upgrade would fix the inconsistent filter sizes for most lenses...