PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Realtime playback in DavinciRresolve

arkain74
09-16-2012, 06:24 PM
I have just this week purchased a new pc mainly for davinci resolve. I have acquired an i7 quadcore 24 gigs of ram, blackmagic design decklink card, plus a 670 for the gui and a 690 for the gpu.
Well I thought that would of at least allowed me to play back in real time, but even when i play back a 1920*1080 with one node when it starts playin it takes a while for it go get to 24fps. its like its picking up speed to get to the normal realtime play back.
And when i have scopes on it will only reach to 19 fps and this is with one node no blur or effects.
Please can tell me where i could be goin wrong because i have spent all this money to try and get the best playback and its just frustrating me at the moment why i cannot

randyman
09-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Are you playing your footage from a single hard drive, or a RAID array? Have you used the BMD speed utility to test your playback speed?

ianim8
09-16-2012, 08:28 PM
biggest part of playback is your hard-drives.
the GPU only helps when grading and adding nodes.

arkain74
09-17-2012, 04:31 AM
thnak you very much for the quick responses , and to answer that question no i am not using a raid array is that a major problem . is there any specific types of memory you could refer to me i should get. plus i was also told it could be down to the way the graphics cards are slotted in the motherboard, i dont know if any of you know anything about that. so ianim8 are you saying the gui graphics card doesnt effect playback as much as the hard drives do? thank you both very much

Brad Ferrell
09-17-2012, 06:46 AM
I have the same system with GTX 570s with a RAID0. Playback is fine up to 2.5K. Are you using Resolve v.9 lite?

I also have an SSD boot disk and an SSD scratch drive I've assigned to Resolve.

ianim8
09-17-2012, 06:56 AM
Its def the hard-drives.
If you have room use a couple of fast SATA at 7200RPM and RAID 0.
If your not working on a feature and will be getting into a BMCC, then pick this up (http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html).
Use whatever SSD you plan on buying for the BMCC.
Here are the speeds (http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?848-Official-list-of-SSD-or-not&p=23005&viewfull=1#post23005)Im getting with the Crucial M4 512GB SSDs.
Test you work drives with the Black Magic Speed test app.
See what you get.

gsbe
09-18-2012, 11:00 AM
What is the difference between the Sonnet Tempo SSD and the Tempo SSD Pro? I'm thinking it has something to do with how the 2nd SSD drive is mounted to the card, is this the case? I did note that the Pro has faster data transfer rates...

Thanks for your help. I already have one Crucial M4 512GB and am considering this Sonnet card. Do you think the transfer speeds that you've reported would be available with a Thunderbolt connection or do you need to have a card on the PCI buss inside a machine to achieve these speeds? I'm thinking about Thunderbolt RAID devices that aren't yet available for purchase...

Its def the hard-drives.
If you have room use a couple of fast SATA at 7200RPM and RAID 0.
If your not working on a feature and will be getting into a BMCC, then pick this up (http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempossd.html).
Use whatever SSD you plan on buying for the BMCC.
Here are the speeds (http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?848-Official-list-of-SSD-or-not&p=23005&viewfull=1#post23005)Im getting with the Crucial M4 512GB SSDs.
Test you work drives with the Black Magic Speed test app.
See what you get.

ianim8
09-18-2012, 11:45 AM
What is the difference between the Sonnet Tempo SSD and the Tempo SSD Pro? I'm thinking it has something to do with how the 2nd SSD drive is mounted to the card, is this the case? I did note that the Pro has faster data transfer rates...

Thanks for your help. I already have one Crucial M4 512GB and am considering this Sonnet card. Do you think the transfer speeds that you've reported would be available with a Thunderbolt connection or do you need to have a card on the PCI buss inside a machine to achieve these speeds? I'm thinking about Thunderbolt RAID devices that aren't yet available for purchase...

yes the diff is the extra SSD portion for Pro thus why I got RAID 0 on the two Crucial M4s 512SSD.
From my understanding the Thunderbolt connection is more than enough to handle the Sonnet.
We got this to work with the Echo Express Pro.
We're still waiting for the Retina to drop here so all tests are done with Mac Pro PCI with Tempo SSD Pro.
Cant even test the Echo since I have no Thunderbolt options here.

ianim8
09-18-2012, 07:40 PM
Just tested a Retina with the above set-up (prev posts).
RAW files playing back in real time here :)
Using a BMD Intensity Pro for playback.
Amazing!!

Edit: booo I screwed up on which clips I was playing back. I get about 15fps with the actual RAW.
Sorry I had a ProRes version mixed in there.
ProRes 422 HQ in real time at least.
And 15fps is nothing to sneeze at as far as a mobile system goes.
This unit is destined for RED ROCKET DIT work anyway but had to see how itll do with Resolve and RAW :)