PDA

View Full Version : Credits in multiple categories

Salvador
10-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Hello All, this is my first post, I've a question. What to do when you or someone else participate in different parts of the filmmaking process during a small production? For example, if a writer also is the producer, the director, helps with makeup, etc.. I know in big production there's people for each individual task, but have you had a similar experience? how you handled it? is correct to see his/her name multiple times during the credits?

Thanks.

Salvador.

bscenefilms
10-28-2014, 09:51 AM
If the individual is eligible for multiple credits, that person should indicate what they want as credit. My wife has been offered a lot of different additional producer credits for projects where she went far beyond just operating. She never takes those credits because that's not what she wants to be known for.

markmwilliams
10-28-2014, 10:09 AM
If the individual is eligible for multiple credits, that person should indicate what they want as credit. My wife has been offered a lot of different additional producer credits for projects where she went far beyond just operating. She never takes those credits because that's not what she wants to be known for.

Also, you want to be careful of not having a long list of credits list where very few names are repeated many times. So find out what people want to be credited for and also where you can combine credits e.g: Written, Filmed and Directed by works for a writer/DOP/Director combo.

Not strictly bona fide (but I'm aware of this happening on low budget features) but you can always give Alan Smithee type made up names to roles on the production that you want to include to show the production values that went into making the film but which no one on the film wants to be credited for. e.g. your Cinematographer doesn't also want to be credited for makeup or location catering which were roles that they did fulfil. However, doing this can be frowned upon :)

Chris Adler
10-28-2014, 10:28 AM
Nothing screams amateur more than seeing the same persons name credited all over the place. If you're a director or producer you will have your hands in potentially a lot of places. No need to mention them at all.

Tim Hole
10-28-2014, 09:01 PM
Just credit the person for their most important role. As a director you can also have a producer and writer credit. You can just say A film by .... if you were also the cinematographer. Best to keep things simple. Ask the person what they would like screen credits for, but maximum two below the line credits. There are other places people can be credited. If the director helped with make-up he would not be credited for it. Why would it matter, he's the director of the piece.

I have used an alias as a cinematographer before to increase my chances to get into a festival, for this very reason. Steven Soderbergh uses Peter Andrews is his DOP alias and Mary Ann Bernard is his Editor alias.

Egg Born Son
10-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Credits can be a way of thanking people for helping and putting in the extra effort. Be generous with them if you are asking a lot and giving nothing in return. Who cares? As the principle filmmaker be stingy with your own credits. Show some humility. If you're a one person crew then take note of any 'crew' assistance you get from the talent and give yourself the credit as "made by", "a film by", "filmmaker" or "written, directed and produced by". Be creative, it's your film you can use whatever you want. Besides a 4 minute youtube video shouldn't consist of 2.5 minutes of credits. Someone who might click on a 2 minute video out of curiosity might not click on a 4 minute video. With todays attention spans you might lose your audience trying to make your credits look 'real'. It also makes it a big deal and a marker in your development when you reach a semi-professional level with actual crew and a small budget and say this film is ready for proper credits.

I could never call myself a DP, what I do can't be compared to the real thing. I don't judge those that become DPs as soon as they own a camera with no attention to lighting, framing and composition but I personally think it's respectful to maintain the distinction, it's a title and should be earned. My suggestion would be rather than list the role, list the equipment/department. Credits such as 'Camera', 'Lights', 'Sound', 'Design' etc allow the names of anyone who helped with that piece of equipment to be listed without being pedantic about it or generating petty jealousy. In my experience across all areas in life, the smaller the stakes the more people invest themselves in the argument. Weird. If your supporting actor helps you set up the camera put their name under yours under Camera. If someone moves the lights around for you so you can stay by the camera shouting directions then put them under lights. It is rare when you are starting out for anyone to have properly earned any of the real titles but at the same time their contribution often across different areas of the production should be noted. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Connor_R
10-28-2014, 11:48 PM
On short videos I tend to simplify things, it can also be annoying to have someone's name over and over again. On a personal 10 minute film where I did editing, grading, special effects, rotoscoping, and sound design/recording, I just listed myself under "Post Production". You need to be aware what is appropriate for the film and audience too.