PDA

View Full Version : ND and Polarizing filters

Bxl
09-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Perhaps not the place to post this question but; what about mixing ND filters with polarizers? can you use a vaiable ND filter for instance together with a Polarizing filter? sorry if it's a stupid question.

Bxl
09-14-2012, 10:25 AM
anyone :) ?

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
09-14-2012, 10:49 AM
Perhaps not the place to post this question but; what about mixing ND filters with polarizers? can you use a vaiable ND filter for instance together with a Polarizing filter? sorry if it's a stupid question.

You can use conventional ND and polarizer filters together, no problem, has been done for decades.

Using a variable ND, which is two polarizer filters sandwiched together, plus a conventional polarizer filter (3 polarizers in total!) will result in severe optical artifacts. Could be a cool effect I suppose, but generally not desirable.

Jason M.
09-14-2012, 10:50 AM
ND filters and Variable ND filters are two different things. If you mix normal ND or ND/IR filters with Pola, no problem. But a variable ND filter is already two polarizing filters stacked together, and adding a third Pola is going to cause some issues.

EDIT: Beat me to it, Peter.

Bxl
09-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks a lot...
Found this thing... looks great
http://www.letusdirect.com/cart/letus-matte-box-standard-kit.html

metaljesus
09-15-2012, 09:06 AM
Bxl, if you just want ND and pola why buy a matte box? Buy 77mm circular filters and step down rings if you have smaller lenses. The best variable ND on the market is the Heliopan and costs 1/4 the price of a good build matte box.

Vincent Thomas
09-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Is the Schneider not superior to the Heliopan?

metaljesus
09-15-2012, 05:06 PM
I havent tried them side by side but from the photo forums it seems like the helipan is the current leader. Not a lot in it though.