PDA

View Full Version : The Master in 70mm

randyman
09-13-2012, 08:21 PM
Just made reservations to see Paul Thomas Anderson's new film, projected in 70mm in Boston on 9/23. Can't wait.

Even as we wait to get our hands on film's heir apparent, there's nothing like communing with "the real thing" to get your juices flowing. I dearly hope that our world will keep room for events like this, where people come together to celebrate the traditions of a medium that remains vital, despite being endangered by the realities of economics and technology's ceaseless tide.

nihilessence
09-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Just made reservations to see Paul Thomas Anderson's new film, projected in 70mm in Boston on 9/23. Can't wait.

Even as we wait to get our hands on film's heir apparent, there's nothing like communing with "the real thing" to get your juices flowing. I dearly hope that our world will keep room for events like this, where people come together to celebrate the traditions of a medium that remains vital, despite being endangered by the realities of economics and technology's ceaseless tide.

if you can still watch theater you can still watch film in 100 years at least, though in 100 years, film will feel like theater I'll wager.

The cool thing is that even if everyone is watching motion picture on their home holodecks, there will always be more fidelity and sheer scale in the theater, not to mention the communal experience which is why people go to live music for example. The experience of going to my local rep house and watching with a packed house of fans is something you will never come close to at home.

Andrew
09-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Awesome! I've been looking forward to this movie, but I didn't realize the entire show was filmed in 65mm! That is rare! Now to find a location that's actually screening the 70mm print...

rawCAM35
09-13-2012, 09:31 PM
It is great experience, but what many movie goers do in movie theaters is a mind boggling to me, talking, arguing, the person who is shaking his Jacuzzi size drink with a sack of ice, sounds like the whole US army marching on gravel, the one who is shoving a drum of Popcorn in his mouth it sounds like a wood shredder, and on and on, very distracting.

Jglucks
09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
I went to the movies over the weekend and while my local theater is usually good with enforcing no cell phones -- an elderly couple brought their own flashlight! For what, I do not know. But it was on for a few seconds randomly throughout the movie. I'm not a violent man, but they almost brought out the hulk.

randyman
09-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Here's where you can see The Master in 70mm or 35mm...

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-master-us-international-release.html

Cory Braun
09-13-2012, 10:23 PM
Seeing it in 3 and a half hours in 70mm, can't wait!

Jason M.
09-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Going to try and see it this weekend in 70mm as well. Super excited.

nihilessence
09-14-2012, 06:46 AM
I went to the movies over the weekend and while my local theater is usually good with enforcing no cell phones -- an elderly couple brought their own flashlight! For what, I do not know. But it was on for a few seconds randomly throughout the movie. I'm not a violent man, but they almost brought out the hulk.

Every cinema should hire a ninja http://t.co/9Zr5wwYY

Macalincag
09-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I attended the special screening of The Master September 11th @ The Ziegfeld in NYC presented in glorious 70mm. Harvey Weinstein, Amy Adams and JoAnne Sellar introduced the film and plenty of stars came out to see it as well. Saw Ed Norton, Adrien Brody, Luis Guzmán and a few others. Heard many others were there but I hadn't had a chance to see everyone. Sat towards the back center in fully packed theater- all 1,131 seats occupied. The film was a total eye-orgasm, and one of the most anticipated films for me the past few years. The Ziegfeld is a gorgeous single screen movie house as well; great place to see it. It was a shame that PTA couldn't make it as he was in Austin doing another special screening at the Alamo Drafthouse. I will be seeing it again tonight at Village East Cinema in 70mm.

A few pics my sister snapped. Last one's kinda shitty.

Jason M.
09-14-2012, 10:00 AM
The Ziegfeld is such a great theater space. Wish I could have made the Tuesday screening.

Macalincag
09-14-2012, 10:09 AM
The Ziegfeld is such a great theater space. Wish I could have made the Tuesday screening.

It is. And it's a shame they aren't doing so well (financially) since everyone is flocking to the Lincoln Square 13 and such for blockbusters. Heard they were losing $1mil a year. Anyways, Ziegfeld will be screening it on the 21st as well. Get your tickets.

Jason M.
09-14-2012, 10:16 AM
It is. And it's a shame they aren't doing so well (financially) since everyone is flocking to the Lincoln Square 13 and such for blockbusters. Heard they were losing $1mil a year. Anyways, Ziegfeld will be screening it on the 21st as well. Get your tickets.

Yep. Sadly difficult for single screen theaters to keep afloat in the age of the multiplex. Will probably watch the movie this week at the Village East or Lincoln Square, and then again next week at the Ziegfeld. As an aside, I hate the Angelika, and refuse to watch movies there if there's any other option.

Macalincag
09-14-2012, 10:20 AM
Angelika, and refuse to watch movies there if there's any other option.

Ditto. I prefer not to watch my films in a shoebox and hear the subway multiple times during a screening.

randyman
09-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Can't help noting that today, Fujifilm announced that they are out of the cinema film business. Finito. No more.

Sad and disturbing. I do believe there is a market that would support, if nothing else, this kind of "event movie" for films shown in 70mm, at least in single-screen theaters in urban areas.

I know I'm seeing Lawrence of Arabia if there's a 70mm print nearby to support the Blu-ray release in November. And people definitely head out for IMAX, but many are digital now.