PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor lenses with ef adapter to Micro 4/3

soulofrev
09-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey everyone

Myself I am holding out to by the 4/3 Black magic camera, but this brings me to a question.

I have few ais lenses with the Nikon f mount, that I have attached an adapter to make it ef so it will mount on my canon 5d 2. Pretty standard stuff.
But my question is, can I convert that ef to micro 4/3 with adapter.

So……
Nikkor f adapted to Ef adapted to Micro 4/3.
That way it will be much easier to move my lenses between cameras.

Would that cause any issue with the lens?

rawCAM35
09-11-2012, 09:57 AM
So……

Why do you want to go 4/3 if you do not have 4/3 lenses, unless you want to rent 4/3s, just use your Nikons on EF BMD camera with a passive adapter, that is what I am doing.

daveswan
09-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Or get a perfectly reasonable m4/3 to Nikon adapter

soulofrev
09-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the advice.

What I meant was, that i want to swap my nikkor lenses between the 5d and 4/3 like the black magic. but i dont want to have to keep taking off the the f to ef adapter each time, as the the adapters i have dont come off the lens that easy.
So if i could keep the ef adapters on the nikkor lenses permanently. treating them as ef mount lenses. then just put one 4/3 to ef on the black magic.

Fred D
09-11-2012, 11:49 AM
If you have all Nikon glass on NIK/EF adaptors, why don't you just get an EF mount BMC ??

Jason M.
09-11-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey everyone

Myself I am holding out to by the 4/3 Black magic camera, but this brings me to a question.

I have few ais lenses with the Nikon f mount, that I have attached an adapter to make it ef so it will mount on my canon 5d 2. Pretty standard stuff.
But my question is, can I convert that ef to micro 4/3 with adapter.

So……

Would that cause any issue with the lens?

Don't see why you can't do it, though there are certainly some downsides.

1. I'm not a huge fan of multiple adapters unless they're of super high quality. Too much potential for unwanted play the more of them you use.
2. As far as I know, there are no dumb MFT->EF mounts that don't have an aperture built into them. Which is fine, but unnecessary, and one more thing to have to check each time you shoot. You'd leave it wide open for the Nikkors and use their aperture ring, of course, but you'd also want to make sure you didn't accidentally shift the aperture on the EF adapter.

Anyone else think of potential issues? If you're cool with the downsides here, try it out. Should work.

Barry Green
09-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes you can do what you're asking. You could put an m43->EF adapter on the BMC, and pretend at that point that it's an EF-mount camera. And you could leave Nikon->EF adapters on all your lenses, and pretend that they're EF mount lenses at that point.

Would I do it that way? I'd rather not, I'd rather have only one adapter (m43->Nikon) and use the lenses directly. If you really intend to swap the lenses frequently between the BMC and Canon bodies, then I guess having the m43->EF adapter makes sense. I just think every additional connection is an additional place for looseness, wiggle, whatever.

But what you're talking about will work, you just have to decide if it works well. A single m43->EF adapter doesn't cost much so you can always just try it and see if you're happy with the solution.

soulofrev
09-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks everyone.
Cheers Barry, that is exactly what I wanted to know. I love my nikkor glass and want to swap them easily. Though I know what your saying, its one more thing to go wrong.
With my gh2 m/4 to fd adapter it is very easy to change between lenses. for example, i have one fd adapter and 3 fd lenses, when i want to change lenses i can keep the adapter on the camera and change the fd lenses out in the field.
Buutttttt.... with the nikkon f to ef adpater (which is much smaller, it stays on the lens), for example I have 3 f mount nikkor lenses and need 1 separate adpater for each lens.

Is there a f to ef adapter available that is easy to change in the field, like my m/4 adpater.
Thanks

Brian@202020
09-11-2012, 03:30 PM
I agree with everything Barry said. It'll work, but multiple adapter can add more play. Personally if I were you I'd get both a MFT to dumb EF adapter for the instances where you have both cameras on set and need to swap lenses between the 2 frequently, and then get MFT to Nikon adapter for those times where you are just using the BMCC by itself. That way you get the best of both worlds. If you get inexpensive adapters you could easily get both togther for under $50.

rawCAM35
09-11-2012, 03:43 PM
multiple adapters will compound all the tolerances of these mounts to a larger number that could soften the image or interferes with focusing to infinity, will also weakens the overall mount chain to support the lens weight, there is no perfect mount, all have tolerances.

Washington Irving
09-11-2012, 06:33 PM
This is exactly what I'm doing with my nikon lenses. Except to reduce issues with multiple adapters I've converted all my lenses to a hard canon mount with leitax adapters. works like a charm. The only issue I have is finding a good quality EF to m43 adapter. I have a rainbow imaging one and it sucks. I want one like my metabones Nikon to m43 adapter which is solid.

rick.lang
09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
This is exactly what I'm doing with my nikon lenses. Except to reduce issues with multiple adapters I've converted all my lenses to a hard canon mount with leitax adapters. works like a charm. The only issue I have is finding a good quality EF to m43 adapter. I have a rainbow imaging one and it sucks. I want one like my metabones Nikon to m43 adapter which is solid.

Mike Tara of MTF just demonstrated at IBF that this adapter appears to do the job:
http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?1059-Lens-Adapters-for-the-BMCC-M43&p=24050&viewfull=1#post24050

Here's the complete thread on BMD's forum:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=986

Washington Irving
09-14-2012, 08:33 PM
£350.... No thanks. Not for a dumb adapter. We need a metabones EF to m43 adapter.