PDA

View Full Version : Brand New Prores (Film aka LOG) samples are up

DanKanes
09-10-2012, 08:32 PM
I have some more samples in Raw but the files will take a long time to upload.

Enjoy! Try the Alexa curve in Resolve 9

http://dankanesbmcc.blogspot.com/2012/09/prores-film-log-mode-on-bmcc-with-and.html

ianim8
09-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Thanks Dan!
Question, is the Alexa curve a preset in R9?

upstartmike
09-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Thanks Dan!

Tatsuo
09-10-2012, 10:08 PM
I downloaded the footage with the pan from the building to your wife. Beautiful shot definitely reminiscent of Alexa footage! Mind if I ask your settings - ISO, lens, f stop etc. Nice operating by the way!

Cheers,

Sam

Lorenzo Straight
09-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice shots Dan.

J Davis
09-10-2012, 11:32 PM
thx for posting dan
request for light skin and dark skin under tungsten in prores - dan kanes or anyone with a bmc. cheers

Steve4505
09-11-2012, 12:46 AM

http://dankanesbmcc.blogspot.com/2012/09/prores-film-log-mode-on-bmcc-with-and.html

Thanks for sharing. I am looking forward to seeing some grades of these.

DanKanes
09-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks Dan!
Question, is the Alexa curve a preset in R9?

Hi!

If you right click on a Node and hit LUT - there should be a LUT called Arri->alexa rec709

That's the one!

DanKanes
09-11-2012, 12:54 AM
I downloaded the footage with the pan from the building to your wife. Beautiful shot definitely reminiscent of Alexa footage! Mind if I ask your settings - ISO, lens, f stop etc. Nice operating by the way!

Cheers,

Sam

Hi Sam,

Thank you for the kind words. We were just playing around.

I was using the 24mm Rokinon by Samyang - I believe I was around a 2.8 towards a 4 split - no ND at this time of day, 800 asa.

I was testing using a 1/2 UltraCon - also think I want to add an Ultracon 1/4 and Ultracon 1 to the set. I also have a Glimmer Glass I haven't tested yet, but all the diffusion filters out there will push you even closer to an Alexa (or Epic which is also quite a gorgeous and smoothe camera when used correctly) I leave it up to you to find the recipe you like best for your footage, but I think the lack of an OLPF on this camera is actually a unique asset when treated correctly. I want to do more testing regarding IR pollution...

DanKanes
09-11-2012, 12:56 AM
thx for posting dan
request for light skin and dark skin under tungsten in prores - dan kanes or anyone with a bmc. cheers

I will do my best to make this happen soonish.

I'm aiming to shoot some humans with a BMCC + Epic + Alexa to do a little comparison (I don't dare call it a shootout).

Salvatore Castellana
09-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Just downloaded the clip with your wife, opened in FCP7, pushed all the saturation, Half mids and a little of white and it's amazing how is good!!

John Brawley
09-11-2012, 06:01 AM

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but there's now a "bmd film" curve in the release version of Resolve to replicate the FILM curve from the camera.

It's also worth noting it's aplpied in the DNG file.

This is done BEFORE the footage hits the colour corrector. Yopu've only applied a "LUT" when doing it in the colour corrector. Using the DNG page and loading the curve is a much better way to get the most out of the camera.

jb

Wolf
09-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time.

Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator.

:(

J Davis
09-11-2012, 09:20 AM
I will do my best to make this happen soonish.

I'm aiming to shoot some humans with a BMCC + Epic + Alexa to do a little comparison (I don't dare call it a shootout).

nice one Dan. skin tones is where the money is at

Mickael D
09-11-2012, 09:20 AM
If you don't want to pass by Resolve, you can apply LUT directly in your editor:

http://blog.abelcine.com/2012/06/21/applying-luts-to-log-footage-in-fcp-premiere-avid-and-resolve/

DanKanes
09-11-2012, 10:25 AM
This curve is only for the dng sequences though right, since they come in as linear.

So, one could use the dng to film lut as a default and then relinearize with the Alexa rec709 out transform if they feel lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about a full one light for every scene but this is a great way to do a simple comparison because many people react well to the Alexa default curve.

I've even used it on epic footage with redlogfilm as the baseline.

It's been mentioned elsewhere, but there's now a "bmd film" curve in the release version of Resolve to replicate the FILM curve from the camera.

It's also worth noting it's aplpied in the DNG file.

This is done BEFORE the footage hits the colour corrector. Yopu've only applied a "LUT" when doing it in the colour corrector. Using the DNG page and loading the curve is a much better way to get the most out of the camera.

jb

Felix
09-12-2012, 06:19 PM
There´s quite a bit of aliasing on the CNN building and moire on the buliding next to it. :(