PDA

View Full Version : Spider Color too orange?

ChristianHubbard
09-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Hey guys,

I recently tried using a spyder color pro 3 calibration tool on my 27" 2012 iMac. Anyway, the results I am getting are consistently very orange. I also tried this on another display (mac mini hdmi into sony TV) and it is also turning out very orange.

I have tried with all lights on (overhead flourescents), with all lights off, and with a lamp on softly lighting the room (tungsten). I have tried it at 6500, 5800, and 5000 target white points.

Basically no matter what I change or how I go about it the settings are consistently orange and my default profile looks way better. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible the spyder color has fallen out of alignment or what?

thanks for the help.

WhiteRabbit
09-07-2014, 10:38 PM
If you have the option, have you tried calibration without the Spyder software taking an 'ambient light' sample of the room? Running Spyder4 with Elite software here. Turning off the 'ambient light' worked best for me, as I currently do not have high CRI 6500K lights for the edit room, coupled with curtain colour which may bounce and influence the ambient light in my room. My suggestion may not be the correct answer, however, you may find that eliminating the ambient light read during calibration may make your viewed image appear less orange. Properly calibrate, many variables involved.

Also note, that your video card control panel, such as NVIDIA control panel on PC, you can force the video image and colour to be fixed with the graphics card settings, or each program/app that has colour parameters can dictate how video image and colour is managed. I have mine set to force everything to the NVIDEA settings in an attempt to have consistency. I have tested a number of different players in the past, and they can produce varying colour and brightness results, depending on how the settings on your graphics card are configured. As for Apple/iMac, it may be a whole different way you control calibration, so I do not discuss that platform and OS. Good luck.

funwithstuff
09-08-2014, 12:22 AM
If the whole screen becomes orange after calibration, then there's something wrong with the hardware calibrator or its software. I've only had clean results when I've calibrated my Macs, but I haven't used the Spyder. (Mind you, I wouldn't recommend the i1 products either, after poor software support.)

ChristianHubbard
09-12-2014, 01:29 PM
OK so I tried without ambient light turned on and it got about 50% better but it is still way too orange. I tried taking some screenshots to demonstrate exactly how bad it was but alas, they all like exactly the same. So if someone knows a way to share how the screen looks to me that would be greatly appreciated?

Other than that I guess my last option is to try to contact datacolor support...

razz16mm
09-12-2014, 03:21 PM
Hey guys,

I recently tried using a spyder color pro 3 calibration tool on my 27" 2012 iMac. Anyway, the results I am getting are consistently very orange. I also tried this on another display (mac mini hdmi into sony TV) and it is also turning out very orange.

I have tried with all lights on (overhead flourescents), with all lights off, and with a lamp on softly lighting the room (tungsten). I have tried it at 6500, 5800, and 5000 target white points.

Basically no matter what I change or how I go about it the settings are consistently orange and my default profile looks way better. Am I doing something wrong or is it possible the spyder color has fallen out of alignment or what?

thanks for the help.

What color space is your iMac set to? If you go into display setup menus, for video editing you need to pick either sRGB or REC709 in the display LUT table. But it sounds like one of the color channels on the Spyder is not working properly.

Howie Roll
09-13-2014, 06:47 AM
Run the calibration at D65. Put a white background on the computer screen or even better a grayscale, shoot it with your camera set to a 6500 white point. Your footage should be white, and when brought into resolve or other platform the vector should be centered or close to it, if it's not perhaps the spider is spent. White is never really philosophically white, it's simply a concept that helps us make sense of the world we live in. 3200 is orange 5600 is blue but we call them both white. Good Luck.