PDA

View Full Version : .Film top level domain coming soon...

Tim Hole
09-04-2014, 09:54 AM
So .Film top level domain extension coming soon. What's peoples opinion on these new additional extensions? Its necessary for the additional expansions because of the amount of domains required with the growing number of sites. I love the idea of .Film because its getting almost impossible to get a website for a film nowadays without having a bizaare or difficult to remember domain. Its at the point now where you have to consider your domain name when you are thinking of the title of your film. Access is key, but will the .Film help with this access? Do people still think that only .com or the extension of you locale, as the only really 'professional' way to go?

Thoughts?

Gary Huff
09-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Do people still think that only .com or the extension of you locale, as the only really 'professional' way to go?

That's been my experience. I think we just need a couple of blockbusters whose online marketing presence is a .film to help make this a viable extension. I think it would work best for a specific film site, as opposed to, say, a production company domain.

Tim Hole
09-04-2014, 02:47 PM
That's been my experience. I think we just need a couple of blockbusters whose online marketing presence is a .film to help make this a viable extension. I think it would work best for a specific film site, as opposed to, say, a production company domain.

Yeah I completely agree, it would only really work well for a film. I think it will happen quite honestly...how long it will take I don't know. I do quite like the idea of using .xyz for an effects company. :)

krousso
09-04-2014, 04:17 PM
I like it. I wonder how long it will take before someone complains that "film" should only be used for movies shot on film.

Gary Huff
09-04-2014, 04:38 PM
I do quite like the idea of using .xyz for an effects company. :)

If you're referencing coordinate planes in 3D space with that, I think it's incredibly subtle. :D

Sméagol
09-15-2014, 03:45 PM
I tend to agree with people who say this is just a cashgrab by Icann.. If your webdevelopper has done its job, it should be easy to Google regardless of the toplevel domain. That said, it does produce a cleaner looking url and removes ambiguity for film promotion. I´m taking a generic looking title on the Dutch cinema release list: "What if", with Daniel Radcliff.

Official site: http://whatifmovie.com/
It´s the 9th hit on Google, searching for "what if film", or the 6th hit searching for "what if movie", could be better. A quick search on Bing, which I never use, doesn´t put the offical site on the first page using the same searches. It must be notes that the IMDB page does come up, usually higher, but there will be multiple hits on IMDB pages about films with the same or similar titles.

So I think it can be useful to use this TLD purely for film promotion. "whatif.film" is concise, and easier to remember or to even guess, which could remove the need to Google for some. If you do Google it, it´ll probably come up higher in the results. But I suspect the extra traffic will be marginable. Still, assuming the cost for either a .film or .com domain is the same, you might as well.