PDA

View Full Version : HDMI port on my Pocket melted!!

Somnang
08-30-2014, 09:59 AM
A few days ago I hooked up my monitor to my Pocket and when I went to turn on the camera, white smoke started coming out and the HDMI port basically melted. Anyone have this issue? I had both camera and monitor powered by a V-mount battery. I tested this setup on numerous occasions prior and they all went well. Now my monitor isn't working anymore; I hooked it up to my 5D3 and BMPC4k and all I would get is a blue screen. I can scroll through the menus and such, but I think the HDMI IN port is fried or something. This sucks so bad :(

Anyone know a shop that can fix the HDMI port of the Pocket?

rick.lang
08-30-2014, 10:31 AM
If I recall correctly someone posted that the HDMI port on the BMPCC is fused to the circuit board so a simple repair may not be feasible. Is your camera under warranty? Have you contacted BMD Support?

On the official BMD forum, look for posts by David Green. He has described potential grounding problems depending upon how you are connecting linked components to a battery. This may have relevance to your burnt connector and cable.

Somnang
08-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Thank you very much Rick. I'll look on the official site for more info and contact BMD for any recommendations. And unfortunately no, my camera isn't under warranty

Rip
08-30-2014, 11:02 AM
well that's a bit scary as a pocket owner.
I think we will all be very interested to find out if it was the camera or the external device that caused that.

Mac
08-30-2014, 11:57 AM
This is indeed a scary prospect. I regularly use a Zacuto EVF on both my Pocket Cameras (the LCD only for menu and, now, for time left on card), and have never had an issue by powering the camera externally with an IndiePro and the EVF with it's own battery. However, I will now constantly touch the HDMI input to see if it's getting hot - yet another cautionary step with that darned port.

vicharris
08-30-2014, 02:52 PM
And here we go again :) Do a search as we have a huge thread on this exact thing somewhere.

Cameras fried. Has to go back. Hopefully they'll fix it for free.

Lanparte V mount plate?

Somnang
08-30-2014, 04:46 PM
My apologies, I did remember someone posting something for the 2.5k. I did a few search and they only mentioned returning to BMD. Since my unit isn't under warranty, I was hoping someone would know a shop that can fix the port. My Pocket still works, but the port itself is fried. I sent an email to BMD for suggestions as well.

I'm using a Tilta V mount plate. I've used it a bunch of times with my 4k without any problems, in fact, yesterday I did an all day shoot with the 4k + tilta v-mount + a rented smallHD DP7 OLED monitor. I had no problems at all (would love me that DP7 OLED monitor ;) ). The monitor that I used with the Pocket when the HDMI port fried is MustHD 7". I don't think it's the monitor because I've used it a couple of times with my 5D3 without any issues.

vicharris
08-30-2014, 05:06 PM
Yeah, It's actually buried in one of those other threads but a bunch of us were having problems with V mount plates creating ground shorts or something when combined with monitors and EVFs. It seemed to happen across all manufactures and both cameras with HDMI and SDI. Not sure anything can be done but I know myself and Darren power our monitors with batteries now. That seems to fix it. I blew my HDMI on my pocket and my Ikan d5W a few months ago. And the power pigtail caught on fire!

EDIT. It didn't seem to be the plates but something with all BM cameras and V mount plates creating a ground somewhere. Take the monitor power in out of the loop and you should be good......besides the shitty Pocket micro hdmi :)

keithlango
08-30-2014, 05:38 PM
Yeah, I've shorted out my DP4 and my Marshall 7" a few times when connecting D-tap power to the Pocket while the monitors were already powered w/ a D-tap. Doing that twice was enough to convince me to only run my monitors off of local batteries.

vicharris
08-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I've shorted out my DP4 and my Marshall 7" a few times when connecting D-tap power to the Pocket while the monitors were already powered w/ a D-tap. Doing that twice was enough to convince me to only run my monitors off of local batteries.

Yep, one Dtap to the camera, another to an EVF and then the monitor is powered by on board batteries. Seems to fix the problem....whatever the hell it is! I had my Tilta plate checked out by the electrician at Hollywood Camera and he couldn't find anything wrong with it so it seems to be something in the cameras.

Somnang
08-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Thank you guys for the advice! I'll keep all monitors on separate power sources from now on. :)

jambredz
08-30-2014, 06:28 PM
Have you confirmed the hdmi port is fried on the pocket? Have you tried it on another monitor? Maybe just the monitor is fried. I have a strict routine of making sure everything is turned off and plugging everything in, before I apply power to the system (using my bmcc+evf +hdmi converter) all powered from my tilta plate. And it seems to be working out fine. The time I fried my evf was when I was attempting to power the hdmi converter from the USB port of my evf (can't remember why I was doing that). But it certainly is a mystery this sdi/hdmi frying saga. The only thing that is consistent is that a BMD camera is in the mix.

Frank Glencairn
08-31-2014, 02:34 AM
I'm using a Tilta V mount plate.

here we go - I wold say at least 90% of all port/monitor/camera frying I ever saw is related to that Tilta plate.
There are a ton of posts around here an on the BM forum, related to this. As far as I understand, it has to do with some sort of ground loop, in certain combinations.

Somnang
08-31-2014, 09:06 AM
here we go - I wold say at least 90% of all port/monitor/camera frying I ever saw is related to that Tilta plate.
There are a ton of posts around here an on the BM forum, related to this. As far as I understand, it has to do with some sort of ground loop, in certain combinations.

Is there a V-mount plate that's the most reliable? I haven't had any issues with the Tilta on my 4k or 5D3.

Have you confirmed the hdmi port is fried on the pocket? Have you tried it on another monitor? Maybe just the monitor is fried. I have a strict routine of making sure everything is turned off and plugging everything in, before I apply power to the system (using my bmcc+evf +hdmi converter) all powered from my tilta plate. And it seems to be working out fine. The time I fried my evf was when I was attempting to power the hdmi converter from the USB port of my evf (can't remember why I was doing that). But it certainly is a mystery this sdi/hdmi frying saga. The only thing that is consistent is that a BMD camera is in the mix.

Some of the pins inside the HDMI port fused with my cable wire when I removed it. I don't think the port works anymore, but I'm looking for an evf (need one asap). Once I get one, I'll give it a go with the Pocket. I guess I'm fortunate that at least the camera is still working.

Frank Glencairn
08-31-2014, 11:23 AM
Is there a V-mount plate that's the most reliable? I haven't had any issues with the Tilta on my 4k or 5D3.

I have 2 Lanparte plates, no problems so far.

vicharris
08-31-2014, 11:26 AM
I have 2 Lanparte plates, no problems so far.

Frank as I reported before, I smoked gear on the Lanparte plate, pretty sure another guy did too.

UTR-Labs
08-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Frank as I reported before, I smoked gear on the Lanparte plate, pretty sure another guy did too.

We too have several Lanparte battery plates and never had a problem with them. Wasn't the big ground loop (or whatever) issue with the Tilta plates, rather than the Lanparte's?

vicharris
08-31-2014, 01:02 PM
We too have several Lanparte battery plates and never had a problem with them. Wasn't the big ground loop (or whatever) issue with the Tilta plates, rather than the Lanparte's?

Or you can ignore what I said...:)

I've smoked gear on both the Lanparte and Tilta as have others.

Frank Glencairn
08-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Uh...Knocking on wood - Lanparte too?

Anything to do with using the D-Tap?
I only use the barrel plugs.

Adam Roberts
09-01-2014, 02:08 AM
I have a Tilta plate and have had no issues powering the BMCC, Alphatron EVF and smallHD DP6. Not had any issues.

Everything is connected first and then powered on. Seems that connecting devices while there is power on is part of the cause.

django
09-01-2014, 04:54 AM
Had this same problem, tilta plate, dp4, sdi-hdmi converter, on the 2.5k BMCC. I have a multi-tap coming with my new sdi monitor, planning to power both the camera and the monitor from the multitap so only one port is being used on the tilta plate. I do hope that solves everything.

rick.lang
09-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Django, I believe that was one of the solutions discussed and generally supported by David Green in the thread on the official BMD forum. He mentioned using a splitter to prevent any ground loop problem in the Tilta.

I mentioned it would be worthwhile to read David's posts because they are more recent than prior threads and he appeared to have a very good understanding of the interplay of electrical circuits.

vicharris
09-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Django, I believe that was one of the solutions discussed and generally supported by David Green in the thread on the official BMD forum. He mentioned using a splitter to prevent any ground loop problem in the Tilta.

I mentioned it would be worthwhile to read David's posts because they are more recent than prior threads and he appeared to have a very good understanding of the interplay of electrical circuits.

DO you have a link to that? It would make sense to me. Those of us the changed to one Dtap on the plate and battery powered monitors pretty much did that.

Somnang
09-02-2014, 07:31 PM
A little update:

I spoke with BMD tech rep and it turns out my Pocket has warranty until this November so I'm able to have them fix it. I bought the Pocket 2nd hand and for some reason I figured the warranty to be over... consider myself fortunate. Anyway, I told the rep that the issue occurred while connected to the Tilta plate. I told him that I didn't have any issues at all with my 5D3 and 4k. Even shot 3 full days with the 4k + monitor hooked up to the Tilta plate and never had any issues. He warned me not to use the Tilta plate anymore. After what I experienced with my Pocket, I'm somewhat scared of continuing to use the Tilta. Should I worry and change for a different plate?

The BMD rep recommended v-mount plates by Wooden Camera, Redrock, or Swiftronix

vicharris
09-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Hmmm, damage control?

rick.lang
09-02-2014, 08:45 PM
DO you have a link to that? It would make sense to me. Those of us the changed to one Dtap on the plate and battery powered monitors pretty much did that.

Here you go, Vic:
http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=22659#p163895

Look for David Green's erudite posts!

Somnang
09-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Hmmm, damage control?

Maybe? I'll do a little more research. I might just get one of the recommended plates and not have to worry.