PDA

View Full Version : A diagram of a 99% lossless workflow.

Ronell M Cross
09-06-2012, 07:54 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/293074_4620146151124_1090601300_n.jpg

Here's a diagram of a 99% lossless workflow that can be used by Adobe CS6 users.

nihilessence
09-06-2012, 08:28 PM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/293074_4620146151124_1090601300_n.jpg

Here's a diagram of a 99% lossless workflow that can be used by Adobe CS6 users.

Well this is either an epic burn against CS6 or someone needs a coffee :-)

Ronell M Cross
09-06-2012, 09:07 PM
It wasnt originally meant to be a burn but I can see now that it's sort of burn-ish ;)

This is just the best workflow I can think of, until adobe fixes the cinema dng importer.

nihilessence
09-06-2012, 09:43 PM
It might just be my browser, but your OP has nothing but text - no links, no pics.

ianim8
09-06-2012, 11:25 PM
It maybe a long road map but Im pretty sure back in the day this was a walk in the park compared to other workflows :)

nihilessence
09-06-2012, 11:39 PM
yeah sorry, it was my browser, Chrome on Mac.

Ronell M Cross
09-07-2012, 12:07 AM
It might just be my browser, but your OP has nothing but text - no links, no pics.

Well now, if there were no pics or links, then that would definitely be a burn to adobe...lol ;)

Ronell M Cross
09-07-2012, 12:17 AM
It maybe a long road map but Im pretty sure back in the day this was a walk in the park compared to other workflows :)

Its really just setting it up that takes time. It looks more involved than it actually is.. My heart goes out to people that actually had to process reels upon reels of film. :(

Brad Ferrell
09-07-2012, 09:14 AM
For some reason, this time around, I'm not striving for an all Adobe workflow. When I put down a couple of grand towards the suite, I wanted to get the most out of that suite. Now that it's subscription, I find myself free to pick and choose between the applications and more willing to accept the addition of a "foreign" program into my workflow. I've found an excellent real-time 100% lossless solution using Resolve, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. Onlining in AfterEffects was never real-time for me. The quality was great, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't something I could do with a client in the studio. The work was too slow.

I think Adobe has to fix more than just the importer. They have to find a way to integrate it with the Mercury Playback Engine too. I believe they'll have a solution for us this year. In fact, PP 3.0.2 update came through yesterday and part of me thought they'd maybe already done it but it was designed more for updating the retina display drivers and improving that experience.

ianim8
09-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Im sure with the news of exFAT this will help things on the Windows workflow side of things.

Ronell M Cross
09-07-2012, 03:06 PM
For some reason, this time around, I'm not striving for an all Adobe workflow. When I put down a couple of grand towards the suite, I wanted to get the most out of that suite. Now that it's subscription, I find myself free to pick and choose between the applications and more willing to accept the addition of a "foreign" program into my workflow. I've found an excellent real-time 100% lossless solution using Resolve, Premiere Pro, and After Effects. Onlining in AfterEffects was never real-time for me. The quality was great, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't something I could do with a client in the studio. The work was too slow.

I think Adobe has to fix more than just the importer. They have to find a way to integrate it with the Mercury Playback Engine too. I believe they'll have a solution for us this year. In fact, PP 3.0.2 update came through yesterday and part of me thought they'd maybe already done it but it was designed more for updating the retina display drivers and improving that experience.

It would be great if Adobe and BM brought that resolve playback engine to premiere. I dont know if resolve is just playing the preview files from the DNGs or what, but I need that performance in premiere. If it wasnt for dynamic link and the hi-res proxies, I doubt I would even use this workflow. If you have a realtime method for working with cinema dng files, please share with the rest of the class ;) Now that Im a proud paying customer of adobe, I find myself trying to dig my heels in and make the most of my subscription.

Ronell M Cross
09-07-2012, 03:21 PM
Im sure with the news of exFAT this will help things on the Windows workflow side of things.

I think thats for the Hyperdeck but putting that in the camera would be great, for me, the PC abuser... I think blackmagic didnt realize that people who use windows would be interested in this camera.

m0fe
09-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I asked JB on twitter about the ExFAT and the camera his reply was a smiley face so it's not confirmed but i would bet its coming

Andrew_HD
09-07-2012, 03:58 PM
It would be great if Adobe and BM brought that resolve playback engine to premiere. I dont know if resolve is just playing the preview files from the DNGs or what, but I need that performance in premiere. If it wasnt for dynamic link and the hi-res proxies, I doubt I would even use this workflow. If you have a realtime method for working with cinema dng files, please share with the rest of the class ;) Now that Im a proud paying customer of adobe, I find myself trying to dig my heels in and make the most of my subscription.

You don't need Resolve engine to make playback RT- just a proper multithreaded importer. It's really not that hard to do it- it's not 4K wavleet based RED compression.

Ronell M Cross
09-07-2012, 04:22 PM
You don't need Resolve engine to make playback RT- just a proper multithreaded importer. It's really not that hard to do it- it's not 4K wavleet based RED compression.

You are right, a proper multithreaded importer would solve a lot. Using the camera raw importer like AE would be the easiest solution for a lossless workflow in Premiere. I dont care how they get it done. From what I can see, it looks like editing in premiere is slow because my machine needs a raid array. That, I plan to fix very soon.

Ronell M Cross
09-07-2012, 04:24 PM
I asked JB on twitter about the ExFAT and the camera his reply was a smiley face so it's not confirmed but i would bet its coming

I hope they get that done sooner than later, that would be huge..